Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 AM

72 posts, read 165,610 times

Advertisements

We are likely relocating to the Danville area this next Spring. My husband and I have two children, one in 4th grade and another in 7th. Employment is not an issue. I have read the past forums and noted that Boyle County schools seem to be actually better than the schools my children currently attend. One of my questions about the schools is if anyone on here has had experience with the local schools regarding special education, as my daughter (7th grade) has an IEP for dyslexia. She requires extra assistance with reading and math, etc. If anyone has had experience with the local schools I would love to hear about it. Also, we have found some properties in Junction City and Harrodsburg that interest us. How would the drive be from those locations if you worked in Danville? In winter would the drive be too much of a hassle? Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,966,015 times
I can't answer your other questions, but Junction City is only about five miles south of the Danville (127) Bypass. Harrodsburg is more of a drive.

If you're presently in Lexington, why not explore the area, ideally during rush hour??

Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM

I'm not currently in Lexington. We presently live in Clearwater, Florida. We are planning a trip to scope out the Danville area in January and hope to tour some properties while there. I'm familiar with the Lexington area (somewhat) as I lived in Louisville previously, but that was over 20 years ago.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
I'm not currently in Lexington. We presently live in Clearwater, Florida. We are planning a trip to scope out the Danville area in January and hope to tour some properties while there. I'm familiar with the Lexington area (somewhat) as I lived in Louisville previously, but that was over 20 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification. Lexington has changed considerably in the last couple of decades (where hasn't??).

January is often the coldest time of the year in the Bluegrass - but February seems to bring more snow. Early January is sometimes milder than late January. Not sure if these are factors for you, but do pack your woolies and layers.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Thanks for responding CraigCreek. I guess no one has any input regarding special education in Boyle County schools? How about bullying? Any experience with that? My daughter has experienced quite a lot of bullying here in the middle school, and we have had some concerns about her safety due to the constant fights that break out at the school. There is need for constant police presence to assist in keeping the kids under control. I noted comments in other threads about the drug problem in Danville. Exactly how bad would you say the drug problem is in the area? And if you were in my situation, would it dissuade you from moving to Danville?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM

Someone else will have to answer these questions more completely, as I have no experience with Danville/Boyle County schools and do not live in Danville. I think the local heavy drug problem - meth, heroin, pills - mainly affects people past their school years, but could be mistaken. Marijuana is likely available to school kids, as it is pretty much anywhere, alas.

Have you contacted the school system about your concerns? Middle school bullying can be miserable.

Junction City is tiny and has modest homes - more like a bedroom community for Danville. But there is some very pretty countryside nearby in the Knobs, which are heavily wooded large hills with green pastoral creek valleys intersecting them. These creeks are filled with geodes, but anyone interested in collecting should ask permission of the property owners first.

Danville has an excellent public library which might be helpful for your daughter as well as the rest of your family.

BTW, Harrodsburg is located in Mercer County, so your daughter would not be likely to be enrolled in public school in Danville.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM

418 posts, read 886,166 times
I'm sorry I can't tell you much about the school system in Boyle county beyond what you may have heard already, I do hear good things about it.

Harrodsburg is a little bit of a drive from Danville on a daily basis. It's doable, but after awhile I think it would start to wear on you.

I know the drug problem in Danville has been discussed on the forum before. Do a search and you should find the thread. I think the threads might be in the general Kentucky forum as opposed to the Lexington sub-forum

FWIW, I am high on Danville and it is high on my list of places to retire to when the time comes.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,256,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
Thanks for responding CraigCreek. I guess no one has any input regarding special education in Boyle County schools? How about bullying? Any experience with that? My daughter has experienced quite a lot of bullying here in the middle school, and we have had some concerns about her safety due to the constant fights that break out at the school. There is need for constant police presence to assist in keeping the kids under control. I noted comments in other threads about the drug problem in Danville. Exactly how bad would you say the drug problem is in the area? And if you were in my situation, would it dissuade you from moving to Danville?
No schools in Danville, Harrodsburg, Mercer County, or Boyle County need constant police presence. They may not even have police presence at all other than the sheriff getting a call as needed. That is the way it operates in most Kentucky school systems.

Danville is a smallish town heavily influenced by the presence of Centre College and living there will be nothing at all like living in Tampa on many fronts. That is not to say that there won't still be fights, bullying, or drugs because schools in any community can experience those, but I have never heard of that being a widespread issue in those schools. The only school in the area that had a bad rep was Harrodsburg Independent but that was partly due to fiscal shortfalls and was resolved when it was merged into Mercer County.

Danville does not have a scary level drug problem, although I doubt it is immune from the current opiate problem sweeping many areas in this nation. Like any parent anywhere, you will need to work on helping your child stay away from peer influenced drug use - not because you live in Boyle County or any other Kentucky location, but because it's 2017 and your child is at the age when most eventual users become introduced to it.

If you are concerned about the atmosphere of a school or their special education program in general call the school that serves the house you are looking at. Ask what services they have. You will likely be pleasantly surprised by how friendly and helpful they will be. Additionally, most school systems in Kentucky have a pretty open policy about allowing students to attend across district lines so you can school shop to a degree, provided you are willing to provide transportation and you don't have a problem child.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Thank you all for your responses. We will be in Danville over Columbus Day weekend to check out the town and surrounding area. I did as you suggested and spoke with one of the local middle schools. It was a very pleasant experience to speak with educators who did not act as though I was annoying them with my questions and they were all extremely nice. Any suggestions, other than Burke's Bakery, on what to check out in Danville to give us a feel for the town?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:02 PM

Constitution Square is right across the street from Burke's - it was the site of Kentucky's first constitution's creation, and is filled with historic mostly log structures. The restored home of pioneer doctor Ephraim McDowell, who performed the first successful abdominal surgery, is across another side of the square and is a state historic site.

The Great American Dollhouse Museum is on Lexington Avenue and is very creatively done - should interest everyone, not just the ladies and kids. Centre College's pretty campus is at the opposite end of Main Street from Burke's, but is nearby.

The streets near downtown are lined with historic private homes - "Raintree County" was filmed here, and locals can still point out the house which was used for Elizabeth Taylor's character's home.

The Kentucky School for the Deaf is also in Danville - it's a boarding school, most of whose students go home on weekends. The Pioneer Playhouse Theater (dinner theater) is in Danville, but I expect the season will have ended by the time you visit.

Fall color is spectacular in the Knobs, just south and west of nearby Junction City.

It's not far to Perryville, site of the largest Civil War battle in Kentucky, memorialized with a large park and a small museum. Also nearby is historic Harrodsburg, with a reconstruction of the original pioneer Fort Harrod. Shakertown at Pleasant Hill is a restored Shaker village, one of the largest and best preserved in the country. Check out rides on Shakertown's Dixie Belle paddlewheeler, which plies the Palisades of the Kentucky River out of Shakertown Landing. You could easily visit both Harrodsburg and Shakertown in one afternoon.

Try to dine at gracious and historic Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg, as well as at the Trustees' House in Shakertown, for traditional Kentucky dishes.

Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area