Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,584 times

Advertisements

I recently had a pool installed and thought about adding solar panels during construction. I decided to try the pool without solar for now. My pool gets a lot of direct sunlight until about 2 PM, then the house slowly starts to block it. By 5 PM, approx 1/3 of the pool is in direct sun. Despite the overnight temps lately, I am surprised how much heat my pool loses.

I am fairly certain that I am going to have solar installed at some point, and I have an ideal, south-facing roof. I live in an area that gets pounded when the winds blow from the south. My main concern is the possibility of roof and/or solar panel damage from the wind. Has anyone experience this?

I've read many positive posts about solar heated pools, but I'd like to know the negatives, if any at all.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
solar only adds a month or two to pool season... and is costly..
heating your pool with the right heater (use only when you need it) imo is the more cost effective way but the costs can vary greatly depending on how far from the gas meter the heater is.. i spent just over 1500 for heater and install for mine. we had the water at 85 over New Years for 3 days.. cost for gas was about 20 dollars...

Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,597 times
Default Solar Pools

You want some info on the negatives of the solar pool panels? Well, we bought a home in Seven Hills and the previous owner had a pool solar panel on top of the tile roof. A strong wind lifted the solar panel more than half way off damaging the roof tile making the the roof leak and causing sheet rock damage prior to our buying the home. I guess the water tubes also leaked causing more damage.

So if you do get one make sure the panel is installed properly and securely by reputable installers and will withstand the wind.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Thanks Packrat1. That's what concerns me too.

I've been getting a lot of fliers in the mail. Any recommendations on who to use? Or who to stay away from?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Don't bother with solar panels unless you want to spend the big bucks and just provide all your own power. Solar panels are not cost effective for a pool.

What DOES work very well are the black plastic sheets of piping on the roof. The water travels through the panels and back to the pool. And since they are filled with water, they are heavy and no wind damage. I had my pool done and I love it. If I want to use the spa almost any time it's sunny, I just put all the return from the solar there and it's quite warm in no time at all.

In the hottest part of the summer when the pool is too warm, I run the system at night to cool the water down.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What DOES work very well are the black plastic sheets of piping on the roof. The water travels through the panels and back to the pool.
That's what I was referring to - NOT solar for electric or anything else.

I've seen 60 mph gusts out of the south often enough this past winter/spring to give me pause. If I put them on the south side as recommended, I'm still concerned about the wind lifting them off as Ratpack1 alluded to, even though they are heavy. That's why I'm seeking feedback, especially from those who may have experienced this.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
They all leak when they get old. But it should simply run off. They also sometimes come apart when old and the wind blows. But I have never seen one actually damage the roof.

So, properly installed, I would not expect an substantial problems until the units get old...and then they leak.

Use someone who has been around a while.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,976 times
I built my own for my pool. I have about 5,000 feet of 6 foot diameter coils that I built into pvc frames, works great, cost me around $700 bucks to build three years ago.

I didnt fasten mine to the roof and they are heavy enough that the wind doesnt budge them.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM

I still haven't had solar installed, but am finally getting serious.

Does anyone have any experience with Suntrek? Good, bad, or indifferent?

What about other contractors? Anyone definitely to stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
get a gas heater.. cheaper and better in the long run... but what do i know? solar will get you to October... I was swimming on New Years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas