Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM

112 posts, read 316,225 times

Advertisements

We considered a solar system when we moved in but talked to our neighbor who has one and he didn't recommend it. He put his in after he moved in and said it was the biggest mistake. I don't know who installed his, but he has had three leaks in 6 years and just said it wasn't worth the money because they didn't work as good as he thought they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times
Has anyone heard of a Swimming pool company renting heaters/propane for say a weekend in some kind of portable situation maybe off the BBQ stub out?

I know there is a Rental service where they bring out hot tubs for a weekend but those are probably 110volt units self contained.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
get a gas heater.. cheaper and better in the long run... but what do i know? solar will get you to October... I was swimming on New Years...
We have a gas heater now, which we run when we use the spa. The problem with our pool is that it sits in the shade for a good portion of the afternoon. My neighbor's pool is consistently 7-8 degrees warmer than mine without heating because it sits in direct sun most of the day. I know a pool cover will help solve heat loss, which we have, but it's such a pain in the arse to put on and remove. Someone here once likened it to wrestling an alligator. We use the pool almost every day in the summer. I wouldn't mind warming the pool with gas every once in a while, but don't want to run it on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scociny View Post
We considered a solar system when we moved in but talked to our neighbor who has one and he didn't recommend it. He put his in after he moved in and said it was the biggest mistake. I don't know who installed his, but he has had three leaks in 6 years and just said it wasn't worth the money because they didn't work as good as he thought they would.
I guess it depends on who you talk to. The people who I talked to swear by it, as it extends their swimming season by at least a month on either side of summer. They have had no or minimal problems.

I've read that you generally need enough panels to cover approx 80% of the surface area of your pool. Maybe your neighbor didn't get enough coverage for the system to be effective?

Like anything else, a lot of it probably depends on the contractor. I've heard good things about Suntrek and like their product, but they seem expensive. I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for a quality system - pay now or pay later. On the other hand, I don't want to overpay when another company could install a quality system for less.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times
I really don't mind paying the price for gas to heat say for a weekend which on my first house amounted to about $75 for the weekend not much more than going out to dinner. Unfortunately my pool equipment is on the Northeast corner of the back of the house and the gas meter in on the Southwest front of the home. Just to lay the gas line was about $3,000 and I got a couple of bids. I live in Seven Hills so I pretty much have to do it to code. I know I can get a good price on the heater just getting gas to it reasonably would be the problem. I did have one pool contractor speak towards using the BBQ gas stub on the back deck. Apparently the pipe size on the bbq stub is not large enough for a full sized pool heater but might run a smaller btu one. I suspect that it wouldn't really heat the pool but rather "take the edge" off the cold water. I suspect that in the long run I wouldn't be happy with that set up. I was also told that I could run the gas line through the garage and up into the attic and down the other side to the pool equipment to shorten the gas line distance needed but I am kind of leery about that.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
we have a solar heated pool and it 's been great we get to get ito use the pool earlier and later in the year and the cost is minimal, in fact our solar works so good that once it's heated we have to back off the solar or it can get to hot . The main thing is you want to make sure to get a reputable solar pool company. Solar pools should always use the black tubing to store the water , instead of a up right solar panel. Our solar tubing is 6 yrs old and works as good as the day it was installed.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
we bought a house that had solar heating , and I thought it would extend our swimming time much longer than it actually does. its great in the summer when the sun is directly overhead, but doesnt really warm the water enough in the spring & fall for my liking. but , we have a 36k gallon pool and almost two thirds of the panels are installed on the west facing roof which I think is part of the problem.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,111 times
We've had Sealed Air panels for just over 10 years, installed by Celestial Solar Systems, and would do it all over again. The first year after the pool construction, we didn't have them yet, and the 25,000 gallon pool was a little chilly all summer. While they have extended the season a few weeks to a month on either end, the best part is the ability to comfortably swim all season, setting the temperature to whatever we want. As far as companies go, definitely look into Celestial (791-5899) if you go the solar route - the only real issue was a panel started to leak after 9 years, and they quickly came out and replaced it under warranty still! After 10 years, the panels have more than paid for themselves in energy savings, and they're probably good for another 10. Gas prices will only continue to go up, but solar won't!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
With panels or coils on the roof your pump will work harder. Some modern efficient pumps work by pumping slower but longer, and that type of pump might not have enough horsepower to be compatible with pumping water to the roof.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,344,266 times
Our solar panel system is FAFCO is all crap. Leaks all the time, can drain your pool fast and create a problem with burn out pump if you loose too much water!
The way the panels connect to one another with hose clamps and rubbber hoses, leak all the time. Hubby goes on roof to tighten. They are NOT freeze proof even though our FAFCO warrenty says it is. We live in Tampa, FL.
Ask neighors, go to pool stores and do your research before you commit. We also bought an electric heater that we use each Christmas for a wonderful time, worth every penny

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
The solar system might seem cheaper but your pump has to work harder to get all the water up to the roof. This will shorten the life of your pump. Buy a gas heater. I say buy used with so many foreclosure. Probably find a slightly used one cheaply.

Solar is a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas