Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,351,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Think about this for a second. You obviously do vote. Look at the situation of this state (or the whole USA for that matter). Do you think your vote really made a difference?

You're 100% WRONG here. Just b/c I cannot elect the best candidates by myself, doesn't mean I don't vote. That's stupid; to just sit back while your country is going down the tubes and not do the best that you can is not a wise move.

We don't all have the microphone of O'Reilly, Beck, Jones etc but we can still do our part as best we can. If that means supporting the best candidates (by voting when eligible and donations if out of state), alerting friends and family, etc. then so be it.

Remember, as bad as it is not, imagine if 100% of voters supported Obama/Pelosi/Reid. It can ALWAYS get worse and, in the VAST majority of cases, can get better. If enough people support the right candidates, things can improve. Look at Governor Christie in DEEP BLUE New Jersey. He's showing the way. Paul Ryan has a plan to ensure the solvency of Medicare and Social Security. To just lye down now... makes no sense. If we're all going down regardless.... that's fine but... go down fighting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM

901 posts, read 1,905,048 times
Quote:
Think about this for a second. You obviously do vote. Look at the situation of this state (or the whole USA for that matter). Do you think your vote really made a difference?
I'm sure there were 500+ non-voters in FL who wished they would've made the effort to vote for Al Gore. To say that your vote cannot make a difference is ludicrous. I agree that many times it comes down to choosing between the lesser of two evils, but what's the alternative?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM

47 posts, read 119,201 times
Alex Jones makes too many mistakes in his reporting to be taken seriously.

As for voting - just because it seems like your vote is worthless doesn't mean it isn't.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,446,269 times
Quote:
I actually have never voted in my life. They are all lairs and thieves so I really could care less who wins.
Well, if you COULD care less, and don't, then why don't you care less, since you COULD? I mean, you do have room to care less then, don't you?

Oh, never mind. I COULDN'T care less why you COULD care less and don't, because since I COULDN'T care less, I got no where further to go with not caring, do I? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,205,542 times
damned if I care Bzzzz

Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,316,987 times
Sorry, I did not mean to upset anyone. What I was trying to get at is all the politicians are controlled by big corporation lobbyists. They all look good in the commercials, but then they all go back on their words when they get in office. The only politician in the whole country that I respect at all is Ron Paul. If he is running in 2012 I will vote for him.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,446,269 times
Quote:
Sorry, I did not mean to upset anyone. What I was trying to get at is all the politicians are controlled by big corporation lobbyists. They all look good in the commercials, but then they all go back on their words when they get in office. The only politician in the whole country that I respect at all is Ron Paul. If he is running in 2012 I will vote for him.
I agree. It's all about them, not about doing a service for the citizens. How else has a guy like Reid become a millionaire when he never held a regular job? Senators are paid a lot, but not that much.

I still keep voting and hoping though. And there is hope. Look what Lowden's lies got her. Friends of mine who know Angle think she is honest. We'll see. She will have the most powerful people in the country right now coming at her and giving her both barrels. But I think it will backfire on them as it did in the primary.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM

278 posts, read 792,940 times
las vegas drunk, there are people to vote for other than "politicians". there are sherrifs, judges, etc. add to that, there can be other issues to vote for.

with that said, i'm new to vegas and there wasn't a single issue to vote for in the primary.

in my mind, you ought to see what else is on the ballot besides "political candidates" before just saying you don't vote. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that i don't agree with your sentiment. just peeps ought to remember that voting's not just about people running for elected office.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 PM

23,339 posts, read 29,212,218 times
There are signs of hope in this country where your vote can count.

The Governors of both New Jersey and Illinois are good examples.

The Governor of Illinois took on the state employeee unions recently, all done quickly and rather secretly, and in the process, raised the age for retirement to 67 for state workers. And no more double-dipping! Wow! What an accomplishment other states can follow using some guts with the unions!

Here, in Nevada, in the last session, we raised the retirement age for state workers from 50 to only 55. Illinois is now far ahead of us on that one!

I voted for Gibbons. Harry Ried must be sleeping well tonite as he will now be facing Angle rather than Lowden.

I'm more than happy that Kathy McClain is now out of the picture. Good riddance. Congrats to Mark Menendo who I've talked to several times.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,351,816 times
Quote:

I forgot the saying, but it's something like 'Don't let imperfect be the enemy of good.' Anyways... what it means is that, while Ron Paul may be the BEST candidate, it's still a bit foolish to not vote for anyone except Ron Paul. The House GOP has many good members, although the Senate is not as strong. The solid Governors have been mentioned.

Dan Coates is a RINO and a joke, but I'm still going to (begrudgingly) support him over Brad Ellsworth for Senate here in IN.

When it comes to jobs, it's not like you sit around and don't work b/c you can't be a Hedge Fund manager. Apply the same logic to voting. If you have to vote for person A just to prevent the election of person B, that can be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas