Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 PM

37 posts, read 70,811 times

Advertisements

It's generally hot in Las Vegas but I'm curious about the political climate? I am interested in purchasing a second home in Las Vegas and/or investment property but after reading this city forum, the Las Vegas Sun, and the Review Journal for the past couple of months I am having second doubts. Most of the people seem very right wing reactionary, they are especially rabid in the newspaper comments. From the outside, Las Vegas would seem to be a very open community to diverse ideas and people, but is this only a facade? Would a progressive liberal not be welcome?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,184,769 times
Even the comments on newspaper websites in Boston are filled with the rabid right. There is something about the anonymity of the net that attracts knee-jerkers. All the regular people don't have the time or interest to play those games. I wouldn't give the random comments of self-selected, anonymous strangers any weight whatsoever in your decision.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,702,425 times
We have all types here, myself being a moderate Democrat. But yes, the Daily Dissapointment (aka the RJ) is the local main stream print voice of Goebbells' Own People. The LV Sun is the other side of the coin, and City Life gives some nice local color on a weekly basis. The Faux "News" people have to remember is that it was Vegas that made Nevada go Blue last year.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,379,046 times
Anyplace that elects Dina Titus and Shelly Berkley is not very far to the right.

There are some libertarian underpinnings that have always been present in Nevada and much of the SW. Much of the RJ tends that way.

The right also tends to talk more on lists and blogs. Does not mean much on the climate overall though.

Note that even with a relatively strong democratic plurality it is still clear that Las Vegas will defeat an income tax proposal every time.

Las Vegas and Nevada also have some strange governmental structures. The school system for instance is a state agency. And none of the counties or cities actually have any taxing power...taxes are controlled by the state legislature.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 AM

560 posts, read 1,721,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There are some libertarian underpinnings that have always been present in Nevada and much of the SW.
Thanks for mentioning that. My observation has been that it's fairly Libertarian out there in many ways. There seems to be a no taxes, keep the Government out of my way mentality out there... at the same time it's far from conservative.

I'm a fairly conservative guy... that's just what works for me and how I live my life... however when I vote I'm pretty much a social Libertarian. I don't know for sure or anything, but it seems like much of Nevada is that way. Is that an accurate observation?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,271,923 times
Remember, this is the State that elected Piglousy's buddy Pinkie Reed so it's as FAR from conservative as you can get..but everyone here is conservative [they just don't seem to vote ]...

Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,871,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. My observation has been that it's fairly Libertarian out there in many ways. There seems to be a no taxes, keep the Government out of my way mentality out there... at the same time it's far from conservative.

I'm a fairly conservative guy... that's just what works for me and how I live my life... however when I vote I'm pretty much a social Libertarian. I don't know for sure or anything, but it seems like much of Nevada is that way. Is that an accurate observation?
I would say it is in MOST of the state. However, Clark County and the LV metro is different than the rest of NV from what I am aware of, and as the LV metro area is the largest population in the state the influx of dems from CA and back east have substantially affected the voting demographics, NV was a blue state in the '08 election. As such, the LV metro is a hair less free than the rest of the state (think handgun registration even though the state has a preemption law, think smoking bans).

OP, MOST of the people seem right wing reactionary? Are left wingers not reactionary? Why would the political climate affect the decision to buy an investment property? You sure that this post wasn't intended to stir the pot a bit? I don't know about you, but politics doesn't play a role in my investment strategy. Rate of return does. I also would not worry about politics for a vacation home to an extent, unless those politics had a direct impact on my property ownership rights or something like that. If I was looking at a primary residence though, then I think that political environment would play a larger role (for instance I would never move to WI due to their out and out ban on concealed carry).

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,379,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Remember, this is the State that elected Piglousy's buddy Pinkie Reed so it's as FAR from conservative as you can get..but everyone here is conservative [they just don't seem to vote ]...
Contrary to my good friend Dyn's view Harry Reid is actually a pretty conservative Democrat. He is taking a bit of a recasting as he leads the Demos in DC but he ain't no liberal democrat. The ladies however are...

Clark County is actually a hybrid of conservatism on things like income tax or taxation in general and liberal on other things like medical MJ or pretty permissive liquor and entertainment laws.

As Daddy points out there is Clark and the rest of Nevada. You really need to modify that a bit as Reno is probably more liberal than Clark County even though it tends to vote Repub. The result is a clash between the transplants from CA and the midwest and the local mildly redneck base. It is for instance a very permissive CCW state and that is unlikely to change. Clark has a hand gun registration law that was originally driven by the police rather than the liberals and predates the CCW laws.

One might also note though that Clark County is Nevada for all intents and purposes at this point. And that more likely than not will grow stronger over the next decade.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,871,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Clark County is actually a hybrid of conservatism on things like income tax or taxation in general and liberal on other things like medical MJ or pretty permissive liquor and entertainment laws.
And this is why I love it. Hopefully it doesn't change too much.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM

37 posts, read 70,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
OP, MOST of the people seem right wing reactionary? Are left wingers not reactionary? Why would the political climate affect the decision to buy an investment property? You sure that this post wasn't intended to stir the pot a bit? I don't know about you, but politics doesn't play a role in my investment strategy. Rate of return does. I also would not worry about politics for a vacation home to an extent, unless those politics had a direct impact on my property ownership rights or something like that. If I was looking at a primary residence though, then I think that political environment would play a larger role (for instance I would never move to WI due to their out and out ban on concealed carry).
I mostly agree, however I was surprised by the vehemence. ROR is important but also quality of life. And too many Rush loyalists will not make me too comfortable. I find it stifling, which is not what I would expect from Las Vegas.

Several persons mention income tax as if it is a litmus. Washington state has no income tax, voted for Obama by 17 points, has a female Demo govenor and two female Demo senators.

Oh, btw, I should probably consider Wi, hear Madison is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas