Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,902,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Nope, HOA dues are like paying a mortgage. Don't pay them, your house gets foreclosed upon by the Master Association and the Sub-Association.

Property taxes are never included in that monthly HOA fee, as other posters have mentioned.

I know the HOA can put a lien on your property if you don't pay, but in the real world do they ever foreclose?

I've heard of condos where certain units are taken over by the bank or the owners are in arrears, and the paying owners end up having their monthly dues raised to cover the non-paying units.

So if a unit is owned by the bank, and the bank isn't paying the HOA, can an HOA take the unit from the bank? in the real world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:33 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
It is funny you have to post tables of water usage in Vegas!!! Hahaha! BTW the whole of Las Vegas does not even use all of its yearly alloted water from the Colorad River. It is being stored in Aquifers in AZ.
Nevada gets just a tiny amount of the outflow of Lake Mead. Of the 10 million acre feet alotted per year, CA gets 4.4M. Arizona and Mexico get big chunks, 2.8M and 1.5M acre feet respectively. Nevada gets something like 300k acre feet per year - about 6% of what goes to CA. Another 1M acre feet per year is lost to evaporation and other losses. That's 10M acre feet out per year, with 9M acre feet coming in, which is why the lake level keeps dropping.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,487,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I know the HOA can put a lien on your property if you don't pay, but in the real world do they ever foreclose?
I've heard of condos where certain units are taken over by the bank or the owners are in arrears, and the paying owners end up having their monthly dues raised to cover the non-paying units.

So if a unit is owned by the bank, and the bank isn't paying the HOA, can an HOA take the unit from the bank? in the real world?
Depending upon your HOA, yes they do. My rental up by 215/Cheyenne is in a Master Association with a Sub-Association and that is clearly outlined in the CC & R's.

People (from what the neighbors told me) down the block from my rental are having money trouble...they've barely been paying their mortgage and letting their trash, sewer and HOA dues go unpaid.

They HAVE received notice of lien and foreclosure from the Master and Sub-Association and currently have a "meeting" with the attorney and representatives for the Master Association.

So yes, an HOA can foreclose on your house. And if you've ever received a violation from your HOA, not corrected the violation, and refuse to pay the fine, the HOA (most of them) will start foreclosure proceedings on your house as well.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:54 PM

365 posts, read 424,674 times
Are there no beautiful areas in Las Vegas that dont have a HOA?. Is everything a PUD out there. I love this area but refuse to pay $500 per month extra. I dont like HOA's and would only move to one with a minimal payment....maybe $500 per year.

I dont care about common area maintenance.....All I want is my house and my taxes....is that too much to ask?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,324,665 times
Spanish Trail, imho, is one of the most beautiful areas and most definately, a HOA can and does begin foreclosure proceedings if dues are not paid. Putting a lien on the property, even adding late fees, does nothing for the HOA as far as getting their money until the property that is liened happens to sell. I have seen a few areas that have low HOA dues, ie. $500 a year as you wanted, but it appears the ammenities, services provided, landscaping and overall care of the area goes hand in hand with the amount of dues paid. Basically what they are doing is developing a budget to cover everything provided and then dividing that between the number of homeowners in the area.

When you say Strato that you do not care about common area maintainence, then I'm assuming you are not drawn to neighborhoods with walking trails, parks, water features, clubhouses, swimming pools, guards, security gates and lush well taken care of perimeters and if you do not want these things, you can find neighborhoods that do not have them and that do have low, if any, HOA fees.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Depending upon your HOA, yes they do. My rental up by 215/Cheyenne is in a Master Association with a Sub-Association and that is clearly outlined in the CC & R's.

People (from what the neighbors told me) down the block from my rental are having money trouble...they've barely been paying their mortgage and letting their trash, sewer and HOA dues go unpaid.

They HAVE received notice of lien and foreclosure from the Master and Sub-Association and currently have a "meeting" with the attorney and representatives for the Master Association.

So yes, an HOA can foreclose on your house. And if you've ever received a violation from your HOA, not corrected the violation, and refuse to pay the fine, the HOA (most of them) will start foreclosure proceedings on your house as well.
One minor modification. They can foreclose for lack of payments of monthly fees. But they can only lien for failure to pay fines.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 PM

365 posts, read 424,674 times
[

When you say Strato that you do not care about common area maintainence, then I'm assuming you are not drawn to neighborhoods with walking trails, parks, water features, clubhouses, swimming pools, guards, security gates and lush well taken care of perimeters and if you do not want these things, you can find neighborhoods that do not have them and that do have low, if any, HOA fees.[/quote]

What I dont want is a HOA....I dont need clubhouses, I plan on having my own pool, security gates I hope are not necessary....I know they are not in NJ.
Are there no public parks in Las Vegas?
I want a nice neighborhood where people care and take care of and maintenance their own property. All of these fees are just someone getting into my pocket. I dont want it.
We have PUD's here in NJ and condo's/Townhomes that have HOA's....but they are not the norm as they appear to be in Las Vegas.It seems everything has a fee. I refuse to have that here and I really dont want it there.
Are there other options or is las vegas one big master planned community?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
[

When you say Strato that you do not care about common area maintainence, then I'm assuming you are not drawn to neighborhoods with walking trails, parks, water features, clubhouses, swimming pools, guards, security gates and lush well taken care of perimeters and if you do not want these things, you can find neighborhoods that do not have them and that do have low, if any, HOA fees What I dont want is a HOA....I dont need clubhouses, I plan on having my own pool, security gates I hope are not necessary....I know they are not in NJ.
Are there no public parks in Las Vegas?
I want a nice neighborhood where people care and take care of and maintenance their own property. All of these fees are just someone getting into my pocket. I dont want it.
We have PUD's here in NJ and condo's/Townhomes that have HOA's....but they are not the norm as they appear to be in Las Vegas.It seems everything has a fee. I refuse to have that here and I really dont want it there.
Are there other options or is las vegas one big master planned community?
You can find zero or minimal HOAs in the RNPs (Rural Neighborhood preserves). These are the half acre properties scattered here and there..Lone Mountain where I live as a for instance.

As soon as a development gets past ten or so homes you have to have a subdivision which almost forces an HOA.

These properties start around 300k and go to the moon.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM

317 posts, read 1,004,299 times
Quote:
To the other poster who mentioned a rat problem...that was about 5-6 years ago, there was a tree rat problem at Spanish Trails, but I believe it's been taken care of for quite a while now.
Tree RAT ?! in las Vegas ? does they live in desert ?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,346,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
BTW & FWIW, the name of the community is Spanish Trail (singular), not Spanish Trails. Not offered as a criticism or a correction, just as an FYI.
Trail, no S, as in Silver Spring, no S?

Cheers, Jukesgrrl formerlyofBethesda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas