Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:44 AM

182 posts, read 246,323 times

Advertisements

Green Valley switched its name to Henderson and not many people or at least the locals were not happy at all but the issue eventually died down. If you look at Henderson majority of the developments are new or have been developed much the same time as Summerlin. Green Valley is not a city but a large area of the valley which is now known as Henderson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM

317 posts, read 1,003,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
" Las Vegas is Spanish for "The Meadows".
so Las Vegas have Spanish name! WOW ! its interesting !

Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM

182 posts, read 246,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
Of course sarcasm does not really work on typed messages and postings.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
Of course sarcasm does not really work on typed messages and postings.
its not sarcasm - many Calif places have Spanish names too...

and I am very well communicate with people with Spanish names
(good Catholics )- and they like me too (maybe because my accent is worse... )

Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiker10 View Post
Green Valley switched its name to Henderson and not many people or at least the locals were not happy at all but the issue eventually died down. If you look at Henderson majority of the developments are new or have been developed much the same time as Summerlin. Green Valley is not a city but a large area of the valley which is now known as Henderson.
That is just not true. I know you haven't been here long enough to know the history. But it has always been Henderson, and Green Valley is, and always was, a section of Henderson, just as Summerlin is only a section of Las Vegas. Green Valley is called that not because it is Green, but because it was built on land formerly owned by the Greenspun family that owns the Las Vegas Sun Newspaper. I have always suspected it was a concession to the late Hank Greenspun, possibly even mandated by the court during his lawsuit against Hughes. When that name first came up, those of us who lived here at the time thought it was a joke, as that area of the Valley was the most desolate part, and it was black from the volcanic rock and desert varnish that covered it. Henderson was a bit of drive from Las Vegas as there was nothing what-so-ever in between the two. Channel 5 was down on Sunset and Boulder Highway in an old filing station. It is licensed to Henderson, not Las Vegas. To get to Henderson or Boulder City you took the Boulder Highway. There was no U.S. 95 freeway. It didn't reach Henderson until the 90's.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
Are you putting me on now or are you really surprised? I'll take the chance you are surprised and also tell you that Nevada means "snow covered" in Spanish, and comes from the Sierra Nevada, with Sierra being the Spanish word for mountains. You know, as in serrated, the way a saw blade is. Of course the Sierra Nevada range runs north to south along the border of California and Nevada to our north and west. But don't call them the Sierra Nevada Mountains as sierra and mountains is redundant.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Are you putting me on now or are you really surprised? .
yes, really surprised

Is Sierra Nevada name for all mountains around Las Vegas ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas