Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

699 posts, read 1,016,421 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,
We are currently looking at houses online. We've never had a house with a pool although we both enjoy the water and swimming. Hubby and I disagree on this issue. Since we'll be living in the desert, I think a pool would be great. He's says no, they require too much work and probably expense. Would appreciate those of you who have feelings about this to weigh in. Do you have a pool? Is it worth the work and expense to you? Would you do it over if you could? If you don't have one, do you wish you did? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,476,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear friends,
We are currently looking at houses online. We've never had a house with a pool although we both enjoy the water and swimming. Hubby and I disagree on this issue. Since we'll be living in the desert, I think a pool would be great. He's says no, they require too much work and probably expense. Would appreciate those of you who have feelings about this to weigh in. Do you have a pool? Is it worth the work and expense to you? Would you do it over if you could? If you don't have one, do you wish you did? Thanks a bunch.

We just moved into a home last year with a pool. I have a 5 year old, and it is so worth it.

We have the pop-ups in our pool, so the maintenance is really not that much. Just get chemicals put in weekly, and we just skim it before we swim.

The electricity is a little more, but I usually do not run the air during the day, so it makes it not too bad for us.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM

458 posts, read 1,672,204 times
We're looking at houses as well, and we avoid the ones with pools. Aside from the maintenance cost and maintenance time, our big reason is that we have small children at home. I don't want the risk of drowning, and rarely even let people with gated pools watch my kids because I'm so concerned about it.

If my kids were teenagers I would consider it because: 1. No more drowning risk and 2.They could help out with maintenance.

As it is, a neighborhood pool works great for us.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM

460 posts, read 989,336 times
Quote:
Do you have a pool?
Had one for 6+ years, when I lived in Florida. I do not have one now.

Quote:
Is it worth the work and expense to you?
It wasn't to me, so when I moved to Texas, I specifically found a house without a pool.

Quote:
Would you do it over if you could? If you don't have one, do you wish you did?
They are nice to have, especially in hot climates. So I wouldn't mind having a pool, but I find the maintenance to be about as much fun as cutting the grass. Unfortunately, it is one of those things that simply can not be skipped.....it has to be done on a regular basis. So, if I ever do get a pool again, I will budget enough money to pay someone to clean and maintain it properly. About $100/month, give or take, would be worth it to me.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 PM

113 posts, read 306,568 times
Default Get The Pool !

Quote:
Dear friends,

I use mine EVERYDAY from May thru October,best thing I ever did.....Get The Pool !!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,391,753 times
I agree with Hubby. It's a hole in the ground you pour money, time, and effort into. I've had two pools, two spas, and a medium sized water fall. I HATE WATER FEATURES. I'm the one that did all the work, and they constantly need something. I suppose if I was an avid swimmer I might put up with the trouble, but neither my wife nor I care that much about swimming. But on the other hand, when my son was a teen at least I knew where he was. He and his friends were always in our pool. But of course Dad did all the cleaning.

My daughter had one put in her back yard last year. They like to swim a lot, and so far she hasn't complained about the work.

They are also an unnecessary safety issue. After we sold one of our houses that had a pool, the new owners' toddler drowned in it. If I had known that would happen I would have filled it with dirt before I sold it.

The house was empty for a while when we moved to Albuquerque and had a management company trying to find a renter. One of our old neighbors called me to let me know that some kids were jumping the fence and swimming in the pool. If one had even gotten a hangnail, guess who would have been liable?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,244,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I agree with Hubby. It's a hole in the ground you pour money, time, and effort into. I've had two pools, two spas, and a medium sized water fall. I HATE WATER FEATURES. I'm the one that did all the work, and they constantly need something. I suppose if I was an avid swimmer I might put up with the trouble, but neither my wife nor I care that much about swimming. But on the other hand, when my son was a teen at least I knew where he was. He and his friends were always in our pool. But of course Dad did all the cleaning.

My daughter had one put in her back yard last year. They like to swim a lot, and so far she hasn't complained about the work.

They are also an unnecessary safety issue. After we sold one of our houses that had a pool, the new owners' toddler drowned in it. If I had known that would happen I would have filled it with dirt before I sold it.

The house was empty for a while when we moved to Albuquerque and had a management company trying to find a renter. One of our old neighbors called me to let me know that some kids were jumping the fence and swimming in the pool. If one had even gotten a hangnail, guess who would have been liable?
We tend to be water people. Our two older children swam skillfully by three years old. Actually they learned to swim in the Natortorium in Rochester NY in the middle of the winter when they were still babies. The youngest was more difficult though she was drown proof before she was two. Did not really become a swimmer until she was Five or six and not allowed to swim to the raft at Montauk...when the three and four year olds could. Took a week.

Even the poor Admiral was required to become a swimmer once she married me. She is from the plains of Canada where they don't do that. The proudest day was when she actually swam a hundred yards to another boat in an anchorage at Catalina.

So anybody over a year old should be comfortable in the pool and over their head. You got babies...don't let them near the pool...and seal it off tight.

You can also go the way we are rigged. Our pool has an electric cover that will stand the weight of an adult. Costs about 8K. But if you have concerns about kids it is well worth it.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,955,286 times
Quote:
Dear friends,
By all means get a pool, you will even use it at night when it's still 90 or 100 degrees out. It's a great way to still enjoy being out doors when it's hot in the summer. We came from a cold climate and moving to the desert has been great especially with a pool.

Both my husband and I work from home and I go out to my pool to get my exercise rather than drive to a gym. My husband didn't learn to swim due to bad allergies as a kid growing up, but when we moved here having our own pool I taught him how to swim and now he will get in the pool.

We have a solar heated pool which amazingly can get the water pretty hot so we have to turn it back in the summer, in the spring it gets the water warm enough to start swimming in April, unfortunately it's been a cool spring and haven't gotten to use the pool yet.Gas heated pools can really be expensive to heat . Having a solar heated pool gives you more months to use the pool versus one that isn't heated at all.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 AM

901 posts, read 1,901,324 times
It'll probably come down to what phase of life you are in. Several years ago, we owned a home that had a pool. Even though we loved it, it was a pain in the arse, as it was an older pool that required extra maintenance -------> lots of money replacing equipment, etc. We also had an infant/toddler at the time. One day, he got "lost" in our house. Even though the pool was gated/locked at all times, we were panicked for several minutes until we found him hiding in another room.

I got a new job shortly thereafter that required us to move. One of our requirements for our then-new home was no pool, mainly because we could eliminate our fear of an accidental drowning. I didn't regret not getting a pool, but there were many hot days when I wished I could jump in and cool off.

Then we decided to move here. Our son learned how to swim, so we're much more comfortable with the idea of a pool again. One of preferred items when looking was a home with a pool (or room for a pool). We just finished building ours a few weeks ago. Although the water has been too cold to swim, we have used the spa frequently - I have a hard time getting my wife and son out of the thing. I can't imagine what it will be like once it's hot. Like someone else mentioned, I'd much rather have my son and his buddies play here where I can keep an eye on them, versus doing whatever at someone else's home.

Depending on your personality, pools can be much like boats - sometimes it's just better to use your friends or neighbors. They are a lot of fun and it's so nice to be able to jump in and cool off anytime you want. Just prepare yourself mentally ahead of time though - it will take some work on your part (or hired help) to keep it running. Only time will tell whether it's worth it or not.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,070,909 times
I love my pool/backyard. It's hot for so much of the year that I feel it's worth it. I usually turn on the solar at tax day and I'll be swimming by the end of the month. The dogs have already been swimming for a month or so. Anyway, there are few days we don't use the pool. Plus, we like just sitting out there or BBQing, the pool adds to the experience. And it's great for parties. We swim every day.

I don't have kids to worry about. I was concerned my dogs would jump in and not be able to figure out where to climb out. But they figured it out soon enough.

My pool is pretty big for a home, 30K gallons. I estimate it costs about $100 per month for power and chemicals. Doesn't take much to maintain at all and we kind of like puttering around the pool. I have a salt system so I don't use chlorine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas