Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,266 times

Advertisements

do people wear uggs (the classics) and/or rainboots in las vegas? Since it's a desert I feel like uggs would be too hot to wear and since it rarely rains there, rainboots are also not necessary.

Are long sleeves worn commonly in las vegas?

During the winter, are ski jackets too warm to wear?

For the work environment, like in an office setting, what do people normally wear to accommodate for the hot weather? I'm assuming capris are unacceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM

113 posts, read 328,553 times
the classic uggs are popular with shorts it seems. it is april, and i am still wearing my long sleeves and a jacket half the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,161 times
I grew up in cold weather for 33 years, so it still puzzles me to see people wearing uggs when it's 60-70 degrees outside. The desert is not nearly THAT cold that you need to wear fleece/lambskin lined boots. It makes me laugh though. I just normally associate boots with frigid temps, I'm talking 15 degrees or colder with blowing snow and snow accummulation. No boot nonsense in the desert!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helio88 View Post
do people wear uggs (the classics) and/or rainboots in las vegas? Since it's a desert I feel like uggs would be too hot to wear and since it rarely rains there, rainboots are also not necessary.

Are long sleeves worn commonly in las vegas?

During the winter, are ski jackets too warm to wear?

For the work environment, like in an office setting, what do people normally wear to accommodate for the hot weather? I'm assuming capris are unacceptable?

I presume you are thinking that Las Vegas is located in something like the Sahara Desert, but it is not. We have four seasons here, although our winters are somewhat more mild than let's say, somewhere in the northeast.

I've seen kids wear uggs in the sweltering heat of summer. But yes, we wear Uggs here. I've seen little ones wearing rain boots, but I've never seen adults wearing them. Well, OK, maybe one or two homeless people. And yes, we get rain, snow and cold here in this desert.

People wear long sleeves all year round, so yes, it IS quite common to wear long sleeves, sleeveless, 3/4 sleeve.

Women wear capri's to work, short skirts, long flouncy skirts to work, usually without stockings in the summer. I've even seen some of those longish shorts being worn with nice sandals to the office. It depends on each company's dress code.

For me personally, a ski jacket is ideal for winter, but then again, I've grown wimpish in my old age and usually pull out the jacket at 70 degrees.

It depends upon your personal preference as far as wearing a heavier jacket in winter. We do get a snow here once in a while, but not every year. And yes, with the wind howling and winter, the temp can go down into the 20's.

So, bring the jacket, the uggs, the long sleeves, the capri's...the rain boots are optional.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Nope, I agree. Insulated or lined boots really aren't necessary as it doesn't stay cold or wet for that long. Even when the temperature dips below freezing occasionally at night, it's only for a few hours at the most and it's nowhere near a hard freeze.

Long sleeved shirts are common. I wear my flannel shirts in the winter frequently. I even broke out my down jacket two times during this last winter.

BTW, will this wind ever stop?

Old 04-12-2010, 04:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
This has been the worst winter as far as the wind goes....

I don't mind it as much in the summer, it sorta cools you off a bit, but now it's just dang annoying, we've had so much of it lately

Old 04-12-2010, 04:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
This has been the worst winter as far as the wind goes....
It has been downright horrible. I can barely even drive my car anymore because it has been blowing my car all over the road.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I love the wind, the cold, the rain, the snow. lol

Old 04-12-2010, 05:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Uggs are/were a horrible fashion statement anyway. Feel free to rid yourself of them when you move here.

What you wear to work depends on where you work, but keep in mind there's AC everywhere. The other day I went outside after work, Friday I think...where it was around 80 with a jacket thinking "damn" it's hot. I'd been sitting in the office at 68 all day.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
As my wife is fond of saying, we have two seasons ....summer and January. It's actually December but January sounds funnier.

Ski Jackets might be comfortable on a few nights in winter, but usually that's overkill. I almost never get to wear mine anymore. But you could wear it skiing. You can go snow skiing and water skiing in the same day here. Snow is just 30-40 minutes up the mountain, and a 3½ hour drive gets you to Bryan Head Ski Resort in Utah which is where most Las Vegans go.

No rain boots unless you like being laughed at. I suppose on those three or four days we actually get a downpour they might come in handy for about an hour.

Ugg boots are seen around town, but really... Ugh!!!

I have more sweatshirts and sweaters than we have cold days to wear them, but it's too cold in winter for short sleeves, and at least half the winter days you will need some kind of jacket. It has only dropped below freezing in the daytime once that I recall, and that was in 1991. But it will get below freezing just before dawn a few times each year. I don't think it dropped below freezing at all this past winter. I have a really comfortable warm winter jacket that bought after a trip back east in early Spring. I only wore twice this year, and I like to be warm. Just didn't need it. I wore a medium warm jacket that has been more than enough. 46 years ago I came here with an east coast wool overcoat. It hung in my closet for several years until I got rid of it.

You'll probably find that in summer the office is too cold thanks to A/C, and in winter you'll complain that they have the heat up to high. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: