Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,240 times

Advertisements

My husband will retire soon. Because of health reasons, I need to be in a warm weather place without constantly changing weather patterns in the winter months. I love our home in Wisconsin in the summer months and do not want to leave it permanently. We are looking at manufactured homes in the Desert Inn Mobile Estates 3 subdivision. Can anyone tell me about this area? We have visited Las Vegas many times and have always enjoyed our visits. I've been reading about black widow spiders, roaches, scorpions, gangs, crime and flooding. I'd appreciate any information about this area in these regards. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooks9009 View Post
My husband will retire soon. Because of health reasons, I need to be in a warm weather place without constantly changing weather patterns in the winter months. I love our home in Wisconsin in the summer months and do not want to leave it permanently. We are looking at manufactured homes in the Desert Inn Mobile Estates 3 subdivision. Can anyone tell me about this area? We have visited Las Vegas many times and have always enjoyed our visits. I've been reading about black widow spiders, roaches, scorpions, gangs, crime and flooding. I'd appreciate any information about this area in these regards. Thanks.
I guess I can answer you. I am familar with the Desert Inn Mobile Estates. It's just a mobile home park like any other. It is not a dump like most. Most places are upkept ok. My coin trader contact lives in there and he ain't hurting for money. I stop by his place when I have something to sell and have driven inside the whole park. They do have a large excess parking area for boats and RVs too. It's quite I guess. Older people is the norm but many families with kids can bee seen also but that may be in the one section because I think 2 of them are over 55 only.

Spiders, Black Widows, bugs? I been here 10 years and only seen one Scorpion and he was dead. Roaches? We dont call them that. The most common name is Chinese Water Bugs or Beetles. And they are plenty. That type is rarely found inside your house but you will from time to time.

Crime and gangs? You cant escape it. It is pretty bad here too. Law enforcement in Los Angleles love to brag that they chased out many of the gangs. Yea...they all came here. This park is not in a bad area.

Flooding? I haven't seen a real flood since 1999. Since that horrible flood the city has been building storm water run off ditches and detention basins all over. Many of these detention basins now double as playgrounds or ball fields when there is no water in them. And with the year half over and only .83 of an inch of rain so far this year, ain't no problem with flooding here.....anywhere.

But why that Mobile park? There are many nicer choices I think. With this recession and home prices dropping like a meteor seems to me something more permanant would be more comfortable. Even a condo conversion or something like that.

Hope that helps
Good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM

253 posts, read 1,332,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooks9009 View Post
Because of health reasons, I need to be in a warm weather place without constantly changing weather patterns in the winter months.
Then I'm not sure Las Vegas is warm enough for you in the winter - those windy days can be pretty cold. Maybe Southern Arizona, South Texas, or South Florida is more what you are looking for.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,240 times
Thanks so much desertsun41 and RandalR. We were looking in mobile home parks so we would have the ammenities without the upkeep. So that we could lock and leave in the spring. However, we are also looking in Arizona for regular homes. It's very difficult doing this long distance. We are searching in Buckeye, Surprise, Mesa, and the other Phoenix suburbs. My husband loves Vegas, but we are finding that you can get a lot more house for your money in Arizona.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM

46 posts, read 194,363 times
I would not want a "winter" home in Las Vegas. Way to cold. You would be better off looking in South Florida or Arizona if you want a warm winter climate. It really can get very chilly here in the winter.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude View Post
I would not want a "winter" home in Las Vegas. Way to cold. You would be better off looking in South Florida or Arizona if you want a warm winter climate. It really can get very chilly here in the winter.

I think you are missing the fact she is from Wisconsin, not only the land of cheese but also negative windchills and snow.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Spiders, Black Widows, bugs? You really dont see them in the wintertime, or atleast I haven't. In the warmer months scorpions could be an issue if you live on a golf course(or so my bug guy tells me), water bugs/roaches-just have an exterminator spray once a month and you'll have no problems, and I have never seen a black widow. although I have found a wolf spider in my old house.

Crime and gangs? Cali has a 3 strikes policy so most of the offenders with 2 strikes come here for a clean start. Stay away from bad areas and you'll have no worries

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 AM

34 posts, read 431,981 times
I lived there for a year, never saw a scorpion anywhere, and I was looking. As far as spiders, I only saw a couple of spiders IN my actual apartment, and on my patio a black widow took up residence which I had to spray because it was in the way of my sliding glass door and I couldn't go out and enjoy the weather!

I found crickets to be a much bigger problem. They obviously won't harm you, but it was annoying to be sitting around watching TV and have crickets hoping around everywhere. I'd also see the occasional cockroach, but only 2-3 in my time there.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 350,219 times
Spiders, Black Widows, bugs?

It seems to me you won't find too many of those out in the winter. Most of our bugs seem to take the "cold season" off, however during the warmer months they are out and about in their different territories. I've noticed Scorpions in areas abundant in palm trees. My parents have a scorpion issue every spring to early summer, and after a few sprays they are good untill the next year. Black widows (and other assorted spiders) can be found everywhere and they love to be left alone. If you are planning to leave a home unattended for 6 or more months you may find on your return you have a spider problem ( black widow, wolf, etc). Roaches are probably the same as everywhere else in the country. They are attracted to food and waste.

Most bugs can be taken care of with a good bug service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: