Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 30,047 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to LV next week due to my husband's job. We are coming from LaGrange, KY which is 22 mls east of Louisville. We have 6 children although only the younger 2 will be coming with us. The others are in college and didn't want to wait for residency for UNLV. Our son will go to Centennial Hills HS and our daughter will be in Leavitt MS. We have rented a small house short term until we get to know the area. I was in LV last week looking at the house my husband rented and lets just say I get to pick the next one. Anyway, I know I'm not living on the Strip so I'm not concerned with that aspect of LV, I guess I just need reassurance that people in the NW section don't have 2 heads, green bodies and spit green goo. Seriously, LV may as well be another planet from Kentucky and I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance and/or advice. I know I can't take my 4000+ sq ft red brick house on my 3.5 acres so I know I'll have to learn to like tan. Thanks for any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
centennial hills and summerlin are both very nice family oriented areas. both can get pricy though

Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Although there seem to be hidden insults in your post, I can understand your trepidation in making such a big change in your life. I assure you, the NW part of town is the best part with few exceptions. It definitely is different here from what you're used to ...but it's better. In a year or two you will throw rocks at Kentucky or anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains. Nice to visit now and then but who'd want to live there?

To paraphrase the old WW I song, it's hard to keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paris, Bellagio, the Venetian, Wynn, Mandalay Bay, Mt. Charleston, the Valley of Fire, the Pacific Ocean, Disneyland, Zion National Park, the Grand Canyon, etc., etc., etc....on and on and on.

BTW: Go EERS! and welcome to Las Vegas. Let's have a Starbucks sometime and I'll tell you about all the good restaurants, and entertainment that you won't find in LaGrange.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 AM

19 posts, read 30,047 times
Buzz123 - I really wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything. I can see why you thought that though. It was my sorry attempt at humor : (
You are correct that LaGrange is very short on the entertainment. Besides the big Oldham County Day parade, July 4th, and the farmers market, we are pretty laid back. Unless you are here the last week of April/first week of May for Thunder, Oakes and Derby, then we know how to entertain.

What are the few exceptions you mentioned? And, what is an EER?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivvers View Post
Buzz123 - I really wasn't trying to insult anyone or anything. I can see why you thought that though. It was my sorry attempt at humor : (
You are correct that LaGrange is very short on the entertainment. Besides the big Oldham County Day parade, July 4th, and the farmers market, we are pretty laid back. Unless you are here the last week of April/first week of May for Thunder, Oakes and Derby, then we know how to entertain.

What are the few exceptions you mentioned? And, what is an EER?
First, EERS! is short for the West Virginia University Mountaineers ...my old school ...the one that ruined the Univ of Kentucky's chances for a shot at the Final Four this year. Sorry. Couldn't resist bringing it up.

Areas that you could consider as good or better than the NW would be all over Summerlin, plus Desert Shores, the Lakes, and Peccole Ranch, which are west/northwest/southwest. Some parts of Henderson (Green Valley) are really nice, although most of Henderson is hotter in summer and colder in winter, and gets a little more rain. None of that is really a problem here anyway, since we get almost no rain, or snow, and only a couple of nights below freezing anyway, but I've always hesitated at Henderson because of the extra heat in summer. I don't think the residents of "Hooterville" even notice. If I was going to live in Henderson I'd want to be as far up on Black Mountain as I could get.

Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and the unincorporated county areas in between all meld into one big city, so it doesn't really matter as long a you find a home you like.

I'd live in the rental for a while and get to know the town. Find a good realtor (I could DM you some names but one or two of them will see this anyway and make the offer) and tell them what you want. They'll go into their magic machine and pull anything you like, then they'll drive you to the sites and let you look inside. Since the crash we haven't engaged much in a favorite weekend pastime in Las Vegas, which is going around looking at model homes all over town. For twenty years we had, at any one time, at least 200 or 300 models to look at. Good for stealing ideas for your own home. Not good when the wife sees one she wants to actually buy.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 AM

Also wanted to tell you that even though it's a shame to have to send a kid to any public school in the country these days, Centennial is one of the best high schools around here.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 AM

182 posts, read 246,201 times
NW side of Vegas is decent and it includes a large portion of Summerlin while part of Summerlin is in the South-Southwest. On the average, drivetime to the Strip via the wide 95 freeway is around 30 minutes. The 215 beltway aside from the 95 freeway is easily accessible from the NW and there is a wide variety of homes in the area.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=825486

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Lagrange KY...Used to fish there as a kid. Was not there a lake or pond by the Reformatory?

The Centennial area is fine and runs over a very wide range. Anything from just over 100,000 to a couple of million. There are large lot homes in the area from 1/2 acre up. The high schools around the NW are Palo Verde, Centennial, Arbor View and Shadow Ridge...all are reasonably good and cluster together in academic performance. Leavitt is also a fine school.

In general the NW will provide more home for the dollar and larger lots than say Summerlin.

Buzz and I both live in the NW actually a couple of blocks apart. So ask away.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

In general the NW will provide more home for the dollar and larger lots than say Summerlin.

I'll second that. we started looking for a new home last January and were primarily looking in the Summerlin area . we just couldnt find the size of home we wanted with a lot size to our liking for a decent price until we expanded our search to the NW area. We got much more house for a lot less per sf than what we may have "settled" for in Summerlin.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivvers View Post
My family is relocating to LV next week due to my husband's job. We are coming from LaGrange, KY which is 22 mls east of Louisville. We have 6 children although only the younger 2 will be coming with us. The others are in college and didn't want to wait for residency for UNLV. Our son will go to Centennial Hills HS and our daughter will be in Leavitt MS. We have rented a small house short term until we get to know the area. I was in LV last week looking at the house my husband rented and lets just say I get to pick the next one. Anyway, I know I'm not living on the Strip so I'm not concerned with that aspect of LV, I guess I just need reassurance that people in the NW section don't have 2 heads, green bodies and spit green goo. Seriously, LV may as well be another planet from Kentucky and I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance and/or advice. I know I can't take my 4000+ sq ft red brick house on my 3.5 acres so I know I'll have to learn to like tan. Thanks for any info!!

Summerlin is great as long as you don't convince yourself your immune to the same problems as all of las vegas is. The two guys robbing people in broad daylight recently up there is always a nice reminder. However, I have heard the public schools are quite a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas