Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 98,878 times

Advertisements

I am hoping some of you can help with a few questions. My wife, 3 kids and myself are looking into moving in a few months. I am currently in Texas and trying to get closer to the west coast. With the way CA is as far as price and the overall economy there Nevada is looking like a better option.

I am looking for something similar to where I live now which is The Woodlands Texas. We have over 100 miles of walking and jogging trails over 100 parks and about 15 pools. Have mostly nice shopping areas in each village and also a very nice mall area. The schools are very good and get lots of money so we don't have to worry much about the kids needs as far as funding.

Like I said we are looking for a nice area that is kid friendly and a overall nice place you can go for a walk or take the kids to a nearby park and not worry about crime for the most part.

I have had two people at my current job tell me to look and Summerlin and Henderson. I have been looking online but it's hard to tell how the area really is by looking at home pictures. I am wondering how these places really are. Schools good? Safe? Area safe? I do know crime happens everywhere I just mean i don't want to worry every minute i'm out of town that my family is safe.

We also would like to go camping and love swimming and kids are also starting to play sports. They are young 7,5,2 but love the outdoors also.

Any other things or suggestions you can give me would be great.

Thanks alot for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Summerlin has the trails you want and way too many parks. Try there first. And yes, it is one of the best area's of the valley, and more expensive.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 AM

57 posts, read 112,381 times
Summerlin has many parks and as well trials... But this is also the case in Henderson!
What I like better about Henderson is the fact that you are able to get around town really quick.... Seven Hills is a really nice are in Henderson! Crime is high around the strip but not in the suburbs of Las Vegas.
Good luck!!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Great, thanks for the information. If anyone knows how the schools are in these areas I would appreciate any information.

Thanks again

Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpflyn View Post
Great, thanks for the information. If anyone knows how the schools are in these areas I would appreciate any information.

Thanks again
Summerlin is a close approximation of Woodlands. About 100,000 people. I suspect denser but otherwise similar. The schools are quite good.

There is a similar though much smaller area in Henderson...Green Valley Ranch, Seven Hills, Anthem etc. It is however multiple master plans without the overall one of Summerlin.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpflyn View Post
I am hoping some of you can help with a few questions. My wife, 3 kids and myself are looking into moving in a few months. I am currently in Texas and trying to get closer to the west coast. With the way CA is as far as price and the overall economy there Nevada is looking like a better option.

I am looking for something similar to where I live now which is The Woodlands Texas. We have over 100 miles of walking and jogging trails over 100 parks and about 15 pools. Have mostly nice shopping areas in each village and also a very nice mall area. The schools are very good and get lots of money so we don't have to worry much about the kids needs as far as funding.

Like I said we are looking for a nice area that is kid friendly and a overall nice place you can go for a walk or take the kids to a nearby park and not worry about crime for the most part.

I have had two people at my current job tell me to look and Summerlin and Henderson. I have been looking online but it's hard to tell how the area really is by looking at home pictures. I am wondering how these places really are. Schools good? Safe? Area safe? I do know crime happens everywhere I just mean i don't want to worry every minute i'm out of town that my family is safe.

We also would like to go camping and love swimming and kids are also starting to play sports. They are young 7,5,2 but love the outdoors also.

Any other things or suggestions you can give me would be great.

Thanks alot for any help
Here are some links to check out how the schools rate:

Zoning Information - Clark County School District (http://ccsd.net/schools/zoning/zoning/zoning.php - broken link)

School Information - Public School Reports - School Ratings - School Rankings - National

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM

149 posts, read 262,236 times
Personally if money is causing a setback from u moving to Cali a lot of places in hendo and summer are going to be pretty expensive. So what do you do? You want the safety for ur kids but Parks and affordable? I say the north west. 95durango area all the way south to summerlin. Mt. Charleston and redrock canyon will definitely be something you guys will do frequently based off your interests. There's Parks really everywhere you go but let me be honest there is not one park in southern Nevada aka Las Vegas, hendo, summerlin, I would leave my kids w/o supervision. That's just the way it is! Go gated communities also. Ill get zip codes for you hold on

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM

149 posts, read 262,236 times
Ok so JUST AS A ZIP CODE REFERENCE I used Las Vegas foreclosure connection. Here are the zip codes u Should definitely consider. 89149 89129 89134 89138 89128 89130

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamam311 View Post
Ok so JUST AS A ZIP CODE REFERENCE I used Las Vegas foreclosure connection. Here are the zip codes u Should definitely consider. 89149 89129 89134 89138 89128 89130
Note that 89134 and 89138 are hard core Summerlin. I would include 89131 and 89143 in that rack up.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamam311 View Post
Personally if money is causing a setback from u moving to Cali a lot of places in hendo and summer are going to be pretty expensive. So what do you do? You want the safety for ur kids but Parks and affordable? I say the north west. 95durango area all the way south to summerlin. Mt. Charleston and redrock canyon will definitely be something you guys will do frequently based off your interests. There's Parks really everywhere you go but let me be honest there is not one park in southern Nevada aka Las Vegas, hendo, summerlin, I would leave my kids w/o supervision. That's just the way it is! Go gated communities also. Ill get zip codes for you hold on
I am a pilot. As far as affordable I mean we are looking for something around 200-300. I have been looking on zillow and there seems to be alot of homes in that price range. We are hoping to get up that way in a couple weeks to look around, so just trying to narrow down areas to look before we go.

I know Lake Mead is obviously big around there, but are there any other lakes around?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas