Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 27,222 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to find land to build a custom house and have animals and rv within a reasonable drive of the central strip area, near Bellagio?

We are in the process of selling property and expect to have roughly 300,000 to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
that wouldn't even be a down payment on strip or near strip land.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
Is it possible to find land to build a custom house and have animals and rv within a reasonable drive of the central strip area, near Bellagio?

We are in the process of selling property and expect to have roughly 300,000 to spend.
NO

That $300,000 will get you a nice 4 bedroom/3 bath house in Summerlin with a pool and hardly any land, but that's about it

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,896 times
Depends on what your definition of reasonable drive is. There are 1/2 acre lots southwest of the strip that fit your description and price,but if by animals you mean horses you'll need more than a 1/2 acre.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 AM

I am thinking 10 or 15 minutes drive would be close to the strip. I certainly wouldn't want to live ON the strip.

How far out would I need to go to get more than 1/2 an acre?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
Basically your options for getting a 1/2 acre+ is the Enterprise area which is near Blue Diamond and I-15, which is pretty close to the strip and would be the best bet for your requirements.

Other options would be the Northwest part of town (Lone Mountain and I-95 area) and SE Henderson (Equestrian and Boulder Highway or Mission Hills). There are a few other areas in town, but that's most of the more rural areas where people have animals and whatnot.

You can definitely get land for 300k, I'm not sure what the prices are running for land right now. I doubt you'll be able to buy land and build for 300k depending on the size of the house you're looking to build. Building costs have come down due to the economy, but there are lots of permit and connection fee costs for water/sewer/etc from the govt.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Basically your options for getting a 1/2 acre+ is the Enterprise area which is near Blue Diamond and I-15, which is pretty close to the strip and would be the best bet for your requirements.

Other options would be the Northwest part of town (Lone Mountain and I-95 area) and SE Henderson (Equestrian and Boulder Highway or Mission Hills). There are a few other areas in town, but that's most of the more rural areas where people have animals and whatnot.

You can definitely get land for 300k, I'm not sure what the prices are running for land right now. I doubt you'll be able to buy land and build for 300k depending on the size of the house you're looking to build. Building costs have come down due to the economy, but there are lots of permit and connection fee costs for water/sewer/etc from the govt.
Can I get a ballpark on what these fees would be for a single family residence of roughly 3000 sq. ft?

What are the costs of new construction in las vegas per foot, in the current economy?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
Lots of factors, but in Henderson the cost for a 3/4" water meter which may be enough or you may need a 1" depending on the number of plumbing fixtures at your house, is around 10-12k. Additionally, sewer connection fees are around 5k.

A big factor is how far your lot is from utilities. If you are within 600ft of a water main or 400ft of a sewer main, you will be required to extend the water and/or sewer to your property and across the entire property + 10 feet (can't just run it to the closest corner) at your expense. This means you need to have a civil engineer draw the plans, you pay for a civil improvement permit, you need a bond (in case you tear up the street and don't finish), and then of course you pay for the actual construction.

I had a lot that had water in the street in front of the house, but I had to extend the sewer 180ft. The cost for me in 2006 to have the civil engineer draw the plans, get the permit, do the construction, patch the street, and pay all the sewer connection fees was 28k. My lot was only 50 feet away from the sewer main, but since I had to extend it across the entire front of the property plus 10 feet, that made it 180 feet. If you're on a corner lot you may have to pay to extend the utility across both frontages of the lot.

I was building a 2400sf single story ranch home on 1/2 acre and my cost to build a medium finish house (2 car garage, nice kitchen cabinets, granite countertops, tile and carpet floors, no travertine or anything high end like that) was around $125/sf including the 28k sewer extension. That didn't include any landscaping, but did include a block wall around the property. The $125/sf is building costs only and doesn't include the land.

I didn't end up actually building though. I had all the civil improvement plans drawn (sewer and grading), soil test, home plans were drawn, and structural engineering was done and we were just about to go to bid for all the items and then I found a deal on a house I couldn't pass up and bought that instead and sold the lot with all the plans and whatnot.

I'm sure the labor costs have gone down, so maybe you could do it for $110/sf depending on your finish and what utilities are at the lot. I had all utilities directly in front of the lot (they just needed laterals) except sewer.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post

The average price for a half-acre rural residential lot can't be compared to the average for a 12-acre parcel on Harmon Avenue and the Strip,

There is a new home community that there is a semi custom home builder that has easy access to the freeway, gated lots are 13,000 sq/ft homes range in size from 2931 to 4658 sq/ft your looking at spending a little over $400,000. It is literally 15 minutes from the strip. No Horses

There is another community at the south end of the strip with that has very large lots homes sizes range from 2399 sq/ft to over 4000 sq/ft that you can get into for the high $300,000. NO horses.

There are also parts of town and the surrounding area's that may have what your looking for if you have horses, like on the east side of town there is equestrian communities and arena's that may be only 10-20 min from town.

In various parts of the North and North west, as well as older parts of Henderson, you can find equestrian communities or homes on large lots.
If you don't need an equestrian place but just a home with a large lot for dogs then you would find more in your price range again in the North,Northwest, East,Of Las Vegas, and in the eastern part of Henderson and parts of North Las Vegas.

If the home is newer you may find it to be more than what you want to pay . However there are older homes with large acreage that may need fixing up that would fit your budget.

Summerlin doesn't have communities that have equestrian communities much less RV parking and if they did you would pay more than $300,000.
To give you and idea of what land prices are:
Prices for raw, or undeveloped, land in Las Vegas have fallen 74 percent from their peak of $939,357 an acre in fourth quarter 2007, according to reports by Applied Analysis reports.

Excluding the resort corridor, the average price dropped to $243,368 an acre, or $5.59 a square foot, in the fourth quarter, down 37.9 percent from a year ago,also according to Applied Analysis.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 AM

395 posts, read 1,081,110 times
I think there would still be 1/2-1 acre lots in the Russell area between Eastern and Sandhill (north or south of Russell 1 mile). There are also lots avaliable on the Serene area between Eastern and Pecos/NV146.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas