Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not universally avaiable and often troublesome. Decline to provide it in much of the NW. On a quick check I can't even find out if the "pure" package is real.
Like all forms of DSL, speeds are dependent on distance from the CO. However, plenty of people are getting 10MBit/sec - just because you "can't even find out if the "pure" package is real" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Discussions in the dslreports forums about CenturyLink's ADSL2 upgrades in the LVV began at the end of last year, and lots of people now have the 10Mbit/sec service. There is a CenturyLink employee posting in the forum who has been helpful at getting people upgraded to 10Mbit/s service even when the CSR tool tells them they are only eligible for 5Mbit/sec service. After they finish their upgrades this summer the claim is that most of the valley with few exceptions will be able to get 25Mbit/sec service.

CenturyLink Las Vegas Speed Upgrades - dslreports.com

Posts from one happy customer in that thread:

Quote:
A couple of days ago, two CenturyLink salesmen showed up at the door. I immediately said no thanks, your HSI is too slow for me. They bark, "We have 25 megs per second!! They just finished installing fiber in your neighborhood. In fact, the guy that installed it is your neighbor" I know who he's talking about and catch him at the mailbox occasionally. Bottom line, I bundled up and switched all 3 services with faster net and more HD saving me $60/mo vs. Cox. So I ask the CL employee (neighbor) about the fiber and he said, "Yup. Just finished it a couple of weeks ago. It's fast!" They come the 8th to install everything.
Quote:
Just got home from work to two CL vans outside my house. Talked to the guys. They were testing the line. Apparently they provision you at higher rates to accomodate downfall in speed. Their DSL meter was reading over 30Mbps. They guy said the lowest speed you'll most likely see is 28mbps. So cheers to CL for doing the opposite of cox's "power boost" which only gives you the rated speed for the first few seconds. I'm stoked! 89130 Lone Mtn/Torrey Pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Like all forms of DSL, speeds are dependent on distance from the CO. However, plenty of people are getting 10MBit/sec - just because you "can't even find out if the "pure" package is real" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Discussions in the dslreports forums about CenturyLink's ADSL2 upgrades in the LVV began at the end of last year, and lots of people now have the 10Mbit/sec service. There is a CenturyLink employee posting in the forum who has been helpful at getting people upgraded to 10Mbit/s service even when the CSR tool tells them they are only eligible for 5Mbit/sec service. After they finish their upgrades this summer the claim is that most of the valley with few exceptions will be able to get 25Mbit/sec service.

CenturyLink Las Vegas Speed Upgrades - dslreports.com

Posts from one happy customer in that thread:
Read the thread. Sounds like most DSL threads...gonna work someday soon.

I would not mind an alternative to Cox. In fact for some various reasons I might even run two internet links. But still sounds sub marginal to me.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
Ok this is probably a stupid question

but you cant get programs from other countries with Cox right... thats only something you can do with a dish?????

Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Ok this is probably a stupid question

but you cant get programs from other countries with Cox right... thats only something you can do with a dish?????
You probably want Dish Network for international programming. Dish has 19 foreign language packages, DirecTV has 9.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,086 times
I found that when we moved here in the Northwest of Vegas, there were few choices. We have cox high speed internet and digital cable tv, no premium channels, we pay $95/month

Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You probably want Dish Network for international programming. Dish has 19 foreign language packages, DirecTV has 9.
But if i had a sat. dish then as long as i knew the settings couldnt i pick up the stations I would get at my mother-in-laws house?

The channels i want are free but i dont know if they would pick them up in the states like they do in Europe.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Clear is a good alternative for internet but you absolutely must check the signal first. In most of the city you can get very good speed wirelessly, but sadly I live in something of a dead spot and they won't do a damn thing about it.

If you want HD you'll eventually want satellite. Cox HD isn't as good and the selection of channels is worse with little chance of improving. And if you want to watch sports in HD its not even close, Cox borders on worthless for that. If you don't care about HD then Cox is ok.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,089 times
As much as I love Cox for my tv and internet, we're looking at Century Link's services.

My Cox (bundle) bill went up $12.00 last month, we are now paying $200.00 a month, for TV, premium channels on two tv's, HDTV service, DVR service and 10M bit/sec internet.

Our neighbor is a Century Link supervisor and she told us Century Link might be cheaper. She's having a sales lady come to our home to give us an estimate on whatever services we can get from CL and we're also pricing satellite tv.

We've had cable since it first came here to the valley back in the day, I almost feel guilty about possibly letting it go

Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,838 times
My biggest question about Satellite TV is it's reliability. I'm concerned about service interruptions with the significant wind that I see here in NW Las Vegas fairly regularly.

Anyone have any inputs on this?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM

932 posts, read 2,346,838 times
I got Cox when I moved here a little over a year ago, and although I didn't have a single service interruption while I was a subscriber, I switched today to DirecTV in my new house. Cox's price increases were excessive, I thought. I did keep Cox's Internet and phone service.

Here are a couple of tips for anyone weighing DirecTV vs. DISH: If you're a baseball fan, as I am, DISH does not carry the MLB Network in any of its packages. DirecTV does. And if you're a Sam's Club member, DirecTV is offering some extra incentives for new subscribers who belong to Sam's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas