Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
It's not an opinion. There's been plenty of news over the years of how bad that school is. In fact, it's stastically considered one of the worst in the valley. Actually I did a quick search and found this article in the RJ where it said it was one of the worst in the COUNTRY!

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL: NEWS: GRADUATION STATISTICS: Desert Pines rate lowest i...

Here's another more recent article:
reviewjournal.com -- News: INADEQUATE SCHOOLS: District's list hits 30
Here's a quote from the article:
"The language issue is clearly a challenge at Desert Pines High School, the only district high school deemed low-performing. "

Here's some more article links
(says the school is struggling academically)
Las Vegas SUN: School District workers could use remedial accounting class (broken link)
(a high truancy problem)
Las Vegas SUN: Hot on kids' tracks (broken link)
(one of two high schools needing improvement)
Las Vegas SUN: 30 area schools need to improve (broken link)

There is a lot more news on the school, but I don't want to spend all morning searching and pulling it up.

I thought you told us before you were going to a different school...Anyway, how could you be going to one of the worst schools and not notice? The school is vast majority hispanic, which has notably presented a big communication problem, which helps lead to such low achievement. It's also made up of a majority of people getting free lunch, has a lot of discipline incidents, most aren't passing standard testing, etc.

It's notoriously one of the absolutely worst schools in the valley. You are the first person I've ever heard try to defend it. I really believe you will just try to refute anything I say. Regardless, every year this school shows up as one of the worst around, you must be missing that news. When the news starts talking education listen up, you'll hear this school mentioned.
Even though we agree that DP appears to be a deficient school your references prove nothing. All are way out of date. The present achievement report does however indicate a deficient school.... the rankings I have indicate it to be second from the bottom. The kid however indicates that they have in fact changed status in the last year. If so a phenomenal job.

I find it difficult to believe...they were very deficient. But the kid is seldom wrong on facts. So I think I will hold judgement on DP until this years report appears.

Note by the way they have some magnet programs that may have a different clientele. Clark does this...has national merit scholarships up there with the better high schools while overall being below the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
One of the articles that I listed was from March 2007. I find it hard to believe that's out of date.

The school may have changed some people, but it will take some time for those people to pull off an overall change in school status.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Actually I just looked the community up on the KB Web site and I don't think it's close to the pig farm. From looking at the map it looks like you will be up closer to Centennial H.S. If you are zoned for that school then you will be okay, that's actually a pretty decent high school. If I had to put my kids in one school NLV it would be in that high school. I've subbed there quite a few times and it's not a bad school.
RedWingsFan
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2006
1,350 posts, read 306,094 times

I never said that Centennial was in NLV
. If you look at the map provided on KB Homes site showing where this community in question is they make it look like it's in that area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You did, I know I didn't read your post incorrectly...

Please re-read your post...apparently you are not always correct in everything you post and it sounded as if you were accusing me of not comprehending your words

And to 316, the original poster on this thread...my answer to you love...is NO, you didn't make a mistake in purchasing your home. North Las Vegas is experiencing a population boom...lots of new building (homes, businesses, shopping) While there are some "not so desirable areas" (as in most cities), where you purchased is just fine.

Good luck to you and your family, congratulations on your new home and enjoy!

Last edited by MomMom; 06-08-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
One of the articles that I listed was from March 2007. I find it hard to believe that's out of date.

The school may have changed some people, but it will take some time for those people to pull off an overall change in school status.

One was 2001, two were 2003. Two were 2007 and dealt with accouting of student accounts and truant officers.

Again the only current stuff is the achievement report that suggest a deficient school. The kid responded that they have fixed it.

You got a good point but still have to provide mis-leading or inappropriate information.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
You all are still arguing with the troll. If you quit feeding it, it will go away.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 84,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You all are still arguing with the troll. If you quit feeding it, it will go away.
Is somebody bitter about living here then fled Las Vegas

Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Apparently...a female version of papadon J...

Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 PM

22 posts, read 84,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Apparently...a female version of papadon J...

Is the female version hot?

**DISCLAIMER: Popadon wanted me to ask this.**

Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Well, let's not keep mentioning his name...he might hear us and come snooping round' these parts..

Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
Quote:
It's not an opinion. There's been plenty of news over the years of how bad that school is. In fact, it's stastically considered one of the worst in the valley. Actually I did a quick search and found this article in the RJ where it said it was one of the worst in the COUNTRY!

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL: NEWS: GRADUATION STATISTICS: Desert Pines rate lowest i...

Here's another more recent article:
reviewjournal.com -- News: INADEQUATE SCHOOLS: District's list hits 30
Here's a quote from the article:
"The language issue is clearly a challenge at Desert Pines High School, the only district high school deemed low-performing. "

Here's some more article links
(says the school is struggling academically)
Las Vegas SUN: School District workers could use remedial accounting class (broken link)
(a high truancy problem)
Las Vegas SUN: Hot on kids' tracks (broken link)
(one of two high schools needing improvement)
Las Vegas SUN: 30 area schools need to improve (broken link)

There is a lot more news on the school, but I don't want to spend all morning searching and pulling it up.

I thought you told us before you were going to a different school...Anyway, how could you be going to one of the worst schools and not notice? The school is vast majority hispanic, which has notably presented a big communication problem, which helps lead to such low achievement. It's also made up of a majority of people getting free lunch, has a lot of discipline incidents, most aren't passing standard testing, etc.

It's notoriously one of the absolutely worst schools in the valley. You are the first person I've ever heard try to defend it. I really believe you will just try to refute anything I say. Regardless, every year this school shows up as one of the worst around, you must be missing that news. When the news starts talking education listen up, you'll hear this school mentioned.
Only one of your articles is up to date...I am going to a different school because I don't agree with the new administration and I don't want to wear uniforms and I'm sick of waking up early so I'm going to a school where it starts at 12:30 PM...there wouldn't be a truancy problem if they actually served us good food in school and the school police patrolled the parking lot...Our scores have changed, our proficiency results have changed, have you not read my evidence, which is all up-to-date information from the State and the District and not from the media...If you really think we have bad discipline, then I think you should visit Cheyenne or Canyon Springs...The Nevada DOE states that we have better discipline that some schools, haven't you read it in my other posts...And since you haven't been in Vegas for a while, you wouldn't know that they have isolated our ESL learners and put them in a separate school, they are pushing them to go to Global Community...I don't think there's a big communications problem when all letters mailed out also have a Spanish side to them and we also have a Spanish Open House and Spanish Gear-Up meetings, our communications have changed since your 4 year old articles have been printed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas