Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 164,869 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've been married for 37 years, and three years ago I find out I am married to a BIG GIGANTIC LIAR!

You see 23 years ago when I built our home, my wife said if I just gave her everything she wanted in this house, she would never want another house as long as she lived.

Well three years ago I came home from work all excited and said to my wife, "Guess what I did today?"

"What did you do today?"

"I made the last payment on our home, this baby is all ours!"

The next morning she is looking in the classifieds of the newspaper for building lots. HONEST!

I said hey, what about what you said about this being the last house, bla, bla, bla. She said, "Well are you really that stupid? Come to think about it I married you for your sense of humor not your intelligence. Besides, that was then, this is now, shut up and help me look."

SO, guess what? We are building a new home.

So all that to get to my question. 23 years ago we built a fantastic pool that we love. It's a 20 X 40 rectangle, 10 feet deep with a spa and diving board. Back then it cost around $38,000. Well we want the same basic design and size at our new home. However, I have no idea what you can build this pool for now?

Any ideas of today's cost? Here's a picture of a pool that is very similar to ours in design. So what do you think this would run with the same amount of cool decking, 20 X 40 with swim out spa, diving board etc., forget the bush boxes. I don't like plants around the pool. The leaves always end up in the pool.

Thanks!

DOC from Fatal Dog Hats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
I have been looking into this as part of my home search. If I buy a home without a pool, I have to figure that into my budget. I'm betting that pool would run around 60K drive it off the lot. Maybe a little less.

I like your story! Building a home isn't easy but you should get what you want! Another site to check out is poolforum.com. There was a 'sale' last summer I checked out that was a very basic gunite type pool for 28K. By the time they added on all the decking and who knows what else, that sale pool would have been 40K.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 06-02-2007 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: can't spell basic

Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have been looking into this as part of my home search. If I buy a home without a pool, I have to figure that into my budget. I'm betting that pool would run around 60K drive it off the lot. Maybe a little less.

I like your story! Building a home isn't easy but you should get what you want! Another site to check out is poolforum.com. There was a 'sale' last summer I checked out that was a very basic gunite type pool for 28K. By the time they added on all the decking and who knows what else, that sale pool would have been 40K.
That is a pretty nice pool...I think you are off by a factor of about two...60 to 80K.

Put in a couple of "water features" and it will go to 100K.

Sorry yellowsnow...that is why you try to buy with a pool. You only get 50 cents on the dollar back. Interestingly enough on certain large expensive houses the regresson analysis says the pool costs you money....

Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Olecapt has seen more pools than me. He's probably right. Sad! I found 1 house with a wonderama pool and I was told it would be 150K to replace it today. But it was REALLY wonderama!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,947,795 times
The last swimming pool I buil was about 6 years ago. It was rectangular, IGG, 20x40, with a spa at one end. With the construction designed for expansive soils, and the patio, it cost me at little over $55,000. That inlcuded a gas heater, the better diametracious earth filter, chlorine genertor (salt system), and two pumps.

Had I gone with things like fancy color changing lights in the pool, water features, slate decking, and other kinds of fancy stuff, I could have run the price up. I chose not to do that.

The only difference between my pool and the one in your photo that I can see amounts to the coping. It appears you have the concrete coping that was in vogue years ago. If you stay with it, it would be a savings for you. Other options add to the pool's cost.

BTW, my pool was built in SoCal, where things are not known to be cheap. However, I think I got a well built product for an okay price. It took some research but it worked well for us, so much so that our last pool was actually our second one. We had used the same pool company to build us one in our previous home.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 164,869 times
Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
The last swimming pool I buil was about 6 years ago. It was rectangular, IGG, 20x40, with a spa at one end. With the construction designed for expansive soils, and the patio, it cost me at little over $55,000. That inlcuded a gas heater, the better diametracious earth filter, chlorine genertor (salt system), and two pumps.

Had I gone with things like fancy color changing lights in the pool, water features, slate decking, and other kinds of fancy stuff, I could have run the price up. I chose not to do that.

The only difference between my pool and the one in your photo that I can see amounts to the coping. It appears you have the concrete coping that was in vogue years ago. If you stay with it, it would be a savings for you. Other options add to the pool's cost.

BTW, my pool was built in SoCal, where things are not known to be cheap. However, I think I got a well built product for an okay price. It took some research but it worked well for us, so much so that our last pool was actually our second one. We had used the same pool company to build us one in our previous home.

Thanks! That was where my head was at. Thanks!

Fatal Dog

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 72,060 times
Depending on your area and time of year you're building as well. Are you planning on building your own pool or are you going to hire a contractor? In any case, check out this website for some related info: [url]http://www.swimmingpoolcost.org[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas