Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

i have a bit of a dilemma.. i need to go to cleveland for about 8 or 9 days to settle my car lot and get my home ready for rental.. the dilemma is this. I do not want to put my dogs in a kennel. last time we did this one of our dogs passed away the day after we returned... We have thought about Creature Comforts since they are a kennel and hospital. but my nerves tell me not to put them in a kennel..

We also dont know many people so hiring a stranger to stay at our house migh t not be a good idea either (in cleveland, we have friends that will stay with the dogs)..

I could drive but weather is a concern and that would add days to the trip.. which i dont want to take more work off than i have to..

please... some advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM

60 posts, read 219,526 times
Default There are several good places to board your dogs

I know you had a bad experience previously, but I think your dog must have had some underlying condition or else he was too prone to "separation anxiety". I would try again with another vet. I recommend "Tropicana Animal Hospital" at Tropicana & Pecos.

When my husband and I had to go to New York last January, we chose to board our pet there.

Not only were they reasonable as far as the rate went, the vet told me that he suspected that our dog might be "hypothyroid". They were right. I authorized the testing while we were away and, fortunately, this was not a very expensive condition to treat! His hair had been falling out for quite some time and he had no energy to speak of. After we came back and his treatment began, he was a new dog! Now our dog is on "levothyroxine" pills twice a day and he has energy and his hair has grown back in again. Thank you Tropicana Animal Hospital!

I highly recommend them!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
My sister had excellent luck putting ad in Craig's list looking for a dog sitter where she would take the dog to the sitter's house. The lady she found was an older lady who loved dogs but really didn't want one full time. My sister travels quite a bit and it works out great.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 PM

46 posts, read 101,206 times
i agree with okey i would feel more comfortable bringing my dogs to a strangers house then letting a stranger in mine. you could research it on craigslist or post an ad then meet with that person at the dog park first to see if they really arent a psycho and then set a 2nd meeting at their home to see where your dogs will be staying. may sound like a lot of work but my animals are like family and i wouldnt leave my lil cousins at a atrangers house! haha

Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM

sorry but no craigslist... i want a referral!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I can understand your reluctance re: Craig's List; maybe get a referral from a vet? Guess my main point was to look for someone to take the dog to, rather than having someone coming to your house.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
We had the same issue when we first moved here. We had only lived here a month and had to leave town for a few days.

I used care.com to find someone. Babysitters, Nannies, Child Care, Senior & Home Care Services - Care.com

I found Pam through the website. I checked out her and 2 other people. She took our dog into her home. It was pricey, but we didn't have many options. We have an 18 lbs. poodle, Scooby. He seemed to do okay there. He didn't come home thin, sick or with fleas, so it worked out.

You can get her info at Pams Purrfect Pet Care

PLEASE tell her, I referred you so that I can get a discount off the next time we use her!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
I'd trust a licensed and bonded pet sitter who has references. My pet sitter in CA (svpetnanny.com) has had a key to my house for years and I don't think twice about it. Set up a couple nanny cams if you're paranoid. Mine are set up so I can watch my house on my phone.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 AM

i want someone to do the overnight thing...

Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
My pet sitter in CA does overnight pet sitting for $65/nite. There must be pet sitters around here that will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: