Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 67,293 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated and am looking to move from South Bend IN to the Las vegas area since there are no hygiene jobs here in my area. I heard that there are a lot of hygiene jobs in Las Vegas but I am a single mom and I'm worried since I've never been there. I will be visiting Las vegas this june for the first time, but it would really help if anyone could give me any kind of advice especially about school districts. Anything would help Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
There's only one school district.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
CCSD :: School Websites (http://ccsd.net/schools/schoolWeb.phtml - broken link)
GreatSchools.net
Ranking of Elementary Schools in Nevada

The PSK gives you the ranking of schools for 2004 and 2005 for free for the state of Nevada. Greatschools will give you a list of the schools, info about the school, their rank of 1-10, test scores and parents comments. CCSD, which is the Clark County School District gives you zoning-type in the address of an apartment or home and it will tell you where your child will go to school. You can also access school accountability reports to find out how well the school is doing. There also is a directory of all of the schools websites. Many have pictures and can give you an idea of what the school looks like and other helpful information.
I just recently went through all of this and we based where we live on what schools suited us and what we could afford. I am pleased with the school in general. I knew that my son would be ahead when we got here from reading the boards and checking out the curriculum in advance. I find some of the practices to be much better out here than the school he was in prior.
I'm sure you will find the perfect area for you and child/ren. Just do a lot of research and get to know the area online. Believe it or not, because of all of my research looking for homes I had familiarized myself so much with Las Vegas, I haven't got lost yet. Unless you count those circles in Summerlin!!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
CCSD :: School Websites (http://ccsd.net/schools/schoolWeb.phtml - broken link)
GreatSchools.net
Ranking of Elementary Schools in Nevada

The PSK gives you the ranking of schools for 2004 and 2005 for free for the state of Nevada. Greatschools will give you a list of the schools, info about the school, their rank of 1-10, test scores and parents comments. CCSD, which is the Clark County School District gives you zoning-type in the address of an apartment or home and it will tell you where your child will go to school. You can also access school accountability reports to find out how well the school is doing. There also is a directory of all of the schools websites. Many have pictures and can give you an idea of what the school looks like and other helpful information.
I just recently went through all of this and we based where we live on what schools suited us and what we could afford. I am pleased with the school in general. I knew that my son would be ahead when we got here from reading the boards and checking out the curriculum in advance. I find some of the practices to be much better out here than the school he was in prior.
I'm sure you will find the perfect area for you and child/ren. Just do a lot of research and get to know the area online. Believe it or not, because of all of my research looking for homes I had familiarized myself so much with Las Vegas, I haven't got lost yet. Unless you count those circles in Summerlin!!

I maintain a ranking of the Clark County schools at www.donohueteam.com. Hit the schools button and follow along. It appears to me to be about the same sort of thing that PSK does only mine is free and for the current year. The rankings also link to the school achievement reports.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
Olecapt, I think there is something wrong with your link. I keep pulling up something called MAViDENiZ Forum. Even when I typed in your link. I was curious to see the current year status of the schools.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Nevada Accountability Report reports whether or not a school has met AYP, its goals for each year, technology, parental involvement, and crimes committed by students...

Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonza View Post
I just recently graduated and am looking to move from South Bend IN to the Las vegas area since there are no hygiene jobs here in my area. I heard that there are a lot of hygiene jobs in Las Vegas but I am a single mom and I'm worried since I've never been there. I will be visiting Las vegas this june for the first time, but it would really help if anyone could give me any kind of advice especially about school districts. Anything would help Thanks!!
Practically one presumes you will be starting out...so not at the top of the food chain...therefore you want to get away from the strip to the SE, S, SW, W, NW or N. Stay outside of 215 or at least 3 or 4 miles from the strip.

There is really no where outside of 215 where you will find a bad school. Maybe a couple of mediocre ones but none bad. Find the job. Then the house and school. Try to keep the job out of the central city too. Makes life easier for you and kidlet.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:54 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
Olecapt, I think there is something wrong with your link. I keep pulling up something called MAViDENiZ Forum. Even when I typed in your link. I was curious to see the current year status of the schools.

Yes, strange. I traced and checked and it's posted right on this site so it has to be something going on with your server, Olecapt.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Yes, strange. I traced and checked and it's posted right on this site so it has to be something going on with your server, Olecapt.
Hey thanks guys...been off redirected to a Turkish forum since last night. Somebody ate a script they should not have..it took control of all the user files and rewrote all the index.htm to point to the turkish site. Brilliant way to up your page rank I guess.

Anyway fixed and I have to go off and fix six or eight other minor sites...sheesh. My web host is a good guy but it will take him a day or so to get the backups up and I have them instantly available.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
And it's not good. Not at all... if you are going to put your kids in those schools I recommend you do your homework first. Go to GreatSchools.net and review each school you are considering. Look at the demographics, percent of students receiving free lunch, percent that are passing their standard tests, etc. Read it all and make an informed decision about what schools to try. I lived in the valley for 10 years and moved my kids way. But if I were to ever move back there and put my kids in those schools then hands down it would be in Green Valley (like Greenspun Middle School, etc.). And I say this with having experienced working in the schools there for around 2 years, talking to lots of other people that work at the schools and doing my homework!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: