Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,392 times

Advertisements

How does it compare to So Cal (Orange County area)? I just recently moved from So Cal to Illinois and Im itching to head back. The only problem is I dont know if I want to move back to So Cal or Las Vegas.

This board has been very helpful so far. It has answered several of the questions I have had.

I have been to Vegas several times but never really off the strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Compare how

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Compare how
In all ways? After looking on rent.com and other apartment rental sites I see that rent is cheaper. Are the places nicer? Off the strip how is traffic? Where do most of the people that live there come from? Are they mostly foreigners or Americans?

Leaving the strip and downtown out of it, would you rather live in So Cal or in Vegas?

I see that everyone says the job market is bad but is it really? Does everyone look for jobs at the hotels or does this include jobs like restaurants and the like where the locals live?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Job market isn't much different from OC right now, main thing is many more unemployed construction and service workers in Vegas. Economy is more diversified in OC, but its not saving it from a nasty recession as well. As far as how are the areas, pretty much the same there are good and bad parts around both areas. Get a lot more for your money in Vegas, but you'll have to decide if it worth giving up the summer weather, beach access and more big city amenities like major league sports, better shopping and arts you can get in OC. On the positive for Vegas the traffic is nowhere near as bad and crowding at things like movies and restaurants on weekends. A sold out movie or an hour wait at a restaurant in Vegas almost never happens, its typical for a Friday night in OC.

People here are close to 50% former California residents. Plenty of foreigners live in Vegas, but not as much as in So Cal.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM

Thanks Willy.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmeplse View Post
Are the places nicer?
Not really.

Quote:
Off the strip how is traffic?
People complain about the traffic here, but if you're familiar with traffic in the L.A. metro area, you'll quickly realize that it's not bad at all. Just avoid the strip on holiday weekends and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Where do most of the people that live there come from? Are they mostly foreigners or Americans?
We're all SoCal transplants.

Quote:
Leaving the strip and downtown out of it, would you rather live in So Cal or in Vegas?
Las Vegas, hands down. There are certainly things about SoCal that I like better, but the differences in the cost of living and the political climate take all that out of the equation.

For instance, when I moved here, I rented a three bedroom house in a great area for less than I was paying for a one bedroom apartment in SoCal. It's hard to defend living in SoCal when looking at stuff like that.

Quote:
I see that everyone says the job market is bad but is it really?
Yes. Do NOT move out here if you don't already have something lined up or have enough money in the bank to last 8mos-1yr without an income. The last thing Las Vegas needs is another unemployed person.

Quote:
Does everyone look for jobs at the hotels or does this include jobs like restaurants and the like where the locals live?
People look for jobs wherever there are jobs to be found. The Las Vegas valley has something like 2.5 million people - not everyone works at the hotels... That's kinda like asking if everyone in OC works at the beach.

It's a pretty big city, and you'll find everything that you find in any other city of comparable size. Grocery stores, restaurants, big box stores, industrial parks, commercial parks, transportation, health care/hospitals, etc.

If you decide to move here, welcome and good luck, but please don't do it unless you're financially solvent and/or you already have a job lined up.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
It might be helpful if we knew a little more about your situation. Las Vegas vs Southern California will depend quite a bit on what line of work you're in, your income, waht you like/dislike about an area, your family (or lack thereof), etc.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM

I am from California and raised on the west coast my whole life. The middle of last year my company relocated from Southern California to Central Illinois. With the job market the way it was I decided it best to relocate with them. I have a long time girlfriend and no children. We are both itching to head back to the west coast but not 100% sure if California is the place. With all the budget issues and getting a IOU for a tax return, I would like to be someplace more stable. I figured that Vegas would be our next best option. We have been in Central Illinois for 8 months and have seen the summer and winter. I work with collectables and am not sure if thats what I want to continue doing. Long ago I used to be a manual laborer and I miss it. I have done everything from retail to cnc programmer.

Thats about all I got for now.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:15 PM

489 posts, read 1,325,492 times
I'm a SoCal native (LA and San Diego) who has been living in Vegas for 2 1/2 years. My fiance and I are planning to move back to San Diego this summer when our lease is up because we have discovered that Vegas isn't really right for us. However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you- it just depends on what you're looking for.

IMO the Pros of Vegas are:
overall lower cost of living (we have a really nice apartment here that is way better than anything we'll be able to afford in Cali), less traffic, less smog than LA or the Inland Empire, the ability to find a restaurant/bar/place to hang out 24 hours a day, lots of really friendly and nice people here, access to some of the best restaurants in the country

Pro's of SoCal are:
the beach, lots of big cities close to each other offers more opportunities for day trips and a change of scenery, the weather, more cultural amenities, diversity of recreational and leisure activities

Reasons we considered not moving back to Cali:
cost of living, the economic problems facing the state

Reasons we're leaving Vegas and heading to SD this summer:
sick of the desert heat, miss the beach, not really into the bar scene and gambling (which seem to be the main pastimes of most of our friends here), miss my family and close friends that are in Cali

So there you have it- both have pros and cons. Where you would be the happiest all depends on what is most important to you. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Im from Orange County. For us it would only be a 4 hour drive (reverse commute which would be a big plus). I have family both in OC and in Oregon and Vegas is a lot closer to both than Illinois. I like to gamble but the girlfriend doesn't. Not enough to put me in the poor house though. We are not in to the bar scene either but I hope that living in a place like Vegas will get us out more. When we lived in California we really didnt take advantage of all it had to offer. Rarely did we head to the beach or up to LA. When we moved to Illinios we promised each other that we would become more "social" and "active", we have been up to Chicago a few times and down to St Louis once or twice. Now that its the middle of winter and colder than cold its difficult to get out and be "active".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: