Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,457,917 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some people in Vegas are familiar with Sacramento...maybe even lived there...?

How would you compare the cities - i.e. overall feel and vibe, things to do, etc.

Personally, I think Vegas is going to be a lot more international and more entertaining/interesting. Both seem to have very reasonable housing costs. Sacramento's plusses...hmm...unsure...but curious if others might do a plus/minus on the two cities comparitively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,214 times
I just moved to Henderson from Lake Tahoe, but I spent the first 25 years of my life in Sacramento. I'm about 20 minutes away from the Las Vegas strip. Houses in Sacramento are way more expensive (if your gonna buy) but renting is about the same. The climate in both cities is kinda the same (dry heat) but Sacramento is more tolerable with cooler nights. In August it gets to be 115 degrees or more in Vegas. Something about Sacramento I really miss: the trees! Not too many here. I bought a home in a gated community and we all have to have "desert scape" - pretty rocks - for a front yard because of water issues. In older parts of town where houses were given actual yards decades ago, maybe one in five or six isn't completely brown.
Entertainment in Vegas wins hands down. Sacramento, however, has the benefit if being less than two hours away from San Francisco in the West, or if you go East it's less than two hours from Lake Tahoe. Two hours in any direction from Las Vegas gets you more hot desert.
Vegas has a lot of diversity but in my opinion it is because people are always coming and going.
Statistically, Sacramento is one of the most culturally diverse populations in the country. They also have some of the absolute worst air in the country.
I haven't been here very long, but it kinda seems harder to make friends. People that I've talked with here about that agree that in the long term, that never really changes because most people don't stay very long. On the positive side, it's never hard to get old friends from anywhere else to come visit you in Vegas

Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,524,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm sure some people in Vegas are familiar with Sacramento...maybe even lived there...?

How would you compare the cities - i.e. overall feel and vibe, things to do, etc.

Personally, I think Vegas is going to be a lot more international and more entertaining/interesting. Both seem to have very reasonable housing costs. Sacramento's plusses...hmm...unsure...but curious if others might do a plus/minus on the two cities comparitively?
Tiger Beer, just keep in mind the huge amount of Californians that happily now call Las Vegas home.

And considering what lilbeck stated, that "most people don't stay for very long", I ask the million dollar question

"then how the halibut have we grown this valley to 1.7 million residents in the past 15 years!!"

Why are they still here? Are these in and outs at any given time? Why didn't they all leave?

Last edited by MomMom; 09-22-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM

It is only my opinion that it seems to be harder to make friends here, at least for me. I'll be honest and attribute that to the fact that I have two kids and don't get out on my own much these days. I probably shouldn't have included the statement about people not staying long because I don't know that for a fact, it's just what some other people have shared with me as their opinion. I'm one of those Californians now happily calling this part of Nevada my home, and I personally don't plan on leaving

Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,457,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeck View Post
Houses in Sacramento are way more expensive (if your gonna buy) but renting is about the same.
I am curious about that...I was viewing realtor.com, and seemed like quite a few nice new houses were available if you put the price range $150,000 and lower for houses. I was becoming under the impression Sacramento might be compareable with Vegas housing price-wise...? Or no?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM

I checked it out and you're right. I know home prices everywhere have taken a dive but I was amazed. When I lived in Sac houses were way more costly than in Vegas, but now it seems they're comparable.
I do love where I live now, but the reason for my decision involved my work and being closer to my husbands aging parents. Without those factors, I would choose Sacramento. That being said, if you decide on Sacramento, East is preferable. So is the pocket area. Don't think about West Sacramento unless you have a guard dog at the house. South, especially around Florin Rd, Bradshaw, Gerber, Mack Rd, can be equally yucky. If you don't mind living a little farther out, say 15-20 minutes on the freeway, Roseville and Folsom are ideal places to live, in my opinion.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM

44 posts, read 177,759 times
Unlike Vegas, There are a lot more single women then men in Sacramento..

Sacramento, Calif., has more single women than men | ScrippsNews

Dude Ranch vs. Cougar Ranch... LOL!!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,197,273 times
And then there's the tax issue. I believe CA has more taxation than NV.

The hottest I've ever been in my life was in Sacramento. To me it felt hotter than Vegas.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
And then there's the tax issue. I believe CA has more taxation than NV.

The hottest I've ever been in my life was in Sacramento. To me it felt hotter than Vegas.
I was in SMF this week for work and the temps were high (according to the news) at around 100. But it didn't feel much hotter than a vegas 100 degree day. There is more water up in the SMF area so it is a bit more humid (I believe the news had almost 20%).

As for saying that CA has 'more' taxation than NV - that is an understatement. The top tax braket for CA state income tax is 11% vs 0% in NV. That is ignoring property taxes and other taxes. It isn't even close.

As for other things I noticed this week. SMF is more spreadout than Vegas.

As for cost of living - it looks like a 6% difference b/w Vegas and SMF but I don't think that factors in taxes so it is more like a 15% difference. Therefore if you make 100K in Vegas, you'd need to make 115K in Sacramento to have the same living style - though the calculator said housing is similar.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,537,742 times
Entertainment capital of the world vs. hiking, skiing, white water capital of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: