Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
AZ may have cheaper vehicle registration, but they also have state income tax which NV does not have.
BINGO

But no to the state income tax....I"d rather pay for what I use as I use it......

If I want to save....I don't have to use it....

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
you could try not driving if you don't want to pay the fees......
Dynimagelv,

I like you, and most of your posts, but you need to knock it off with the silly remarks towards me, ok? You know that I work off of the bus route, and I have to have a car to even work. Do I need to apologize that I bring up the b.s. this state likes to pull on people and put it out in the open?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
AZ may have cheaper vehicle registration, but they also have state income tax which NV does not have. Go to Texas and you'll find that state receives revenue through high property taxes.

Each state has to generate revenue somehow, NV just does it differently than AZ or TX. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This is just one reason I'd rather us have a state income tax.
I do not want a state income tax, but I doubt I would pay much anyways with my tiny little income.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
LVD....sorry....but your paranoia has taken hold....my comment was directed at ALL of the people that whine about paying LV registration....if you don't want to pay the fees DON'T drive.....don't expect me to willingly pay your share....or MAYBE we should vote in a state income tax and that would quiet all the whiners....

a guy around the corner from me had Delaware plates on his van....when I bought my house in 1962....he STILL had those same Delaware plates on his van when he sold his house last year.....

I personally think that anyone caught with out of state plates should have their vegicle impounded....period....

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LVD....sorry....but your paranoia has taken hold....my comment was directed at ALL of the people that whine about paying LV registration....if you don't want to pay the fees DON'T drive.....don't expect me to willingly pay your share....or MAYBE we should vote in a state income tax and that would quiet all the whiners....

a guy around the corner from me had Delaware plates on his van....when I bought my house in 1962....he STILL had those same Delaware plates on his van when he sold his house last year.....

I personally think that anyone caught with out of state plates should have their vegicle impounded....period....
I thought you were referring to me so I apologize too. Personally, I pay for my Nevada registration, but I will still complain is all.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM

157 posts, read 420,288 times
Bit of perspective from a Texan.

Annual car registration for our two cars is $65 for one and $54 for the other
Annual car inspection is $35 each
Annual property taxes are about $7,000 ($300k house)
Annual property insurance is $1800ish

We're moving to Nevada precisely because our property taxes and insurance have gotten insane! Guess the perspective on whether or not Nevada is expensive all depends on where one came from.

Last edited by lisa99; 01-28-2010 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
AZ may have cheaper vehicle registration, but they also have state income tax which NV does not have. Go to Texas and you'll find that state receives revenue through high property taxes.

Each state has to generate revenue somehow, NV just does it differently than AZ or TX. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This is just one reason I'd rather us have a state income tax.
No way. Most here would pay way more in income tax than car registration fees. Registration fees might be lowered if we had an income tax, but they wouldn't go away altogether. Your overall tax burden would probably increase even more.

By the way LVD, your fees here are probably very comparable to what you would pay in CA.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I feel I have more than enough reason to whine.
Quote:
You're damn right I am complaining!
LVD complaining? Nah, I don't believe it... He would NEVER do that...

You're bipolar when it comes to your opinion of living here, LVD. In one post, you say that it sucks and the "only" reasons you live here are the 24hr booze and "the strip", then in another you say you like it just fine, then we find you complaining about something new...

Make up your mind. If you don't like living here, leave. If you do, then take the bad with the good.

You're whining about paying $54 to register your car? I pay three times that to register my early '00s minivan, and about twice what you pay to register my late '90s Jeep. It's more than I was paying in California, but I'm fine with it since I'm not paying any state income tax.

Car registration and sales/fuel taxes are pretty much the only personal taxes I pay here, which I think is pretty great. You choose to whine about paying $4.50 per month for the privilege of driving your car on the public roads. You spend many multiples of that on tips to the waitresses that bring you those "free" drinks. Quit complaining.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
LVD complaining? Nah, I don't believe it... He would NEVER do that...

You're bipolar when it comes to your opinion of living here, LVD. In one post, you say that it sucks and the "only" reasons you live here are the 24hr booze and "the strip", then in another you say you like it just fine, then we find you complaining about something new...

Make up your mind. If you don't like living here, leave. If you do, then take the bad with the good.

You're whining about paying $54 to register your car? I pay three times that to register my early '00s minivan, and about twice what you pay to register my late '90s Jeep. It's more than I was paying in California, but I'm fine with it since I'm not paying any state income tax.

Car registration and sales/fuel taxes are pretty much the only personal taxes I pay here, which I think is pretty great. You choose to whine about paying $4.50 per month for the privilege of driving your car on the public roads. You spend many multiples of that on tips to the waitresses that bring you those "free" drinks. Quit complaining.
Swagger,

This is not new at all. I am the one who made a thread around 6 months ago complaining about the ridiculous MVD fees, especially since they recently raised them on the lower end vehicles such as mine.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Swagger,

This is not new at all. I am the one who made a thread around 6 months ago complaining about the ridiculous MVD fees, especially since they recently raised them on the lower end vehicles such as mine.
You still have it pretty good IMO LVD. If I make a final decision to move to southern Nevada its going to cost me $195 to register my car if I decide to take it with me rather then sell it. In Florida I paid $57, 3 more then what you paid on your car

If I have to pay through the ass for vehicle registration but have no state income tax, so be it.

Then again, my car costs $57 a year in Florida and we have no state income tax. I wonder where the rest of their money comes from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: