Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are looking at new construction, right now we are looking in the 250k-300k range and our prime considerations are:

1) Ladera Terrace in the Mesa (Summerlin) by Harmony Homes
2) Newcastle in Highlands Ranch by American West Homes

The models we are looking at are 1) 2620 and 2) 3170 square feet. After options and such the second one will cost between 2,000-10,000 more, so pretty comparable in price. We love the floorplans of both, though the second one is obviously bigger and has some nice pluses (with more flexibility for options).

So the biggest tradeoff is Summerlin on 1 vs. the southwest which is very patchy. Highlands ranch is right on the other side of Southern Highlands so it is near some grocery stores and such, but the location of 1 is much better, especially in Summerlin, while the home itself we like better in 2 (it is also more energy efficient as well).

I was curious on what other people's thoughts are and also what people think about living down in 89141. I've heard good things about American West Homes, I was curious if people had opinions of them and the homes they make, etc. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Any opinions at all, we keep leaning more towards the Summerlin option since we really would like to live in Summerlin (it seems to hold it's property values quite well also)...

Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
American West is 25 years old with a middle school named after their President. Harmony is a startup homebuilder....my 2 cents.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Summerlin ...

Old 01-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the opinion mlemke, a good point. As far as builder goes American West definitely has the easy win there, on top of your points they are building very energy efficient homes with a lot of flexibility in options... the big question is it worth the trade from Summerlin to a brand new community in the South West. Summerlin has kept it's property value fairly well even in the hardest of times, while the South West area has been a very random mixed bag.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Thanks for the opinion mlemke, a good point. As far as builder goes American West definitely has the easy win there, on top of your points they are building very energy efficient homes with a lot of flexibility in options... the big question is it worth the trade from Summerlin to a brand new community in the South West. Summerlin has kept it's property value fairly well even in the hardest of times, while the South West area has been a very random mixed bag.
exactly, think resale value

Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
exactly, think resale value
Yeah, that's what keeps brining me back to Summerlin, even if it's less house space. Though bigger and better house space is always compelling lol.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM

what is your realtor telling you (if you have one).. did he run the comps, check the neighborhoods, etc.. dm me if you wish

Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM

I don't have a realtor but have talked with one (registered with the builder before I knew I had to be registered via a realtor), basically for the price at that square footage (and seemingly good features) in Summerlin there's really very little that is comparable. Which is why I looked at Highland Ranch, for a slight bit more money I can get more house that has comparable features (each case has pluses and minuses of course).

I really would like to be in Summerlin for the reason you mention, resale value... it has held much much better in Summerlin and will most likely rise much faster. On the other hand Harmony Homes is a newer builder vs. a more established builder. So it's pretty much a risk on the location or a risk on the builder.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
So my wife and I are looking at new construction, right now we are looking in the 250k-300k range and our prime considerations are:

1) Ladera Terrace in the Mesa (Summerlin) by Harmony Homes
2) Newcastle in Highlands Ranch by American West Homes

The models we are looking at are 1) 2620 and 2) 3170 square feet. After options and such the second one will cost between 2,000-10,000 more, so pretty comparable in price. We love the floorplans of both, though the second one is obviously bigger and has some nice pluses (with more flexibility for options).

So the biggest tradeoff is Summerlin on 1 vs. the southwest which is very patchy. Highlands ranch is right on the other side of Southern Highlands so it is near some grocery stores and such, but the location of 1 is much better, especially in Summerlin, while the home itself we like better in 2 (it is also more energy efficient as well).

I was curious on what other people's thoughts are and also what people think about living down in 89141. I've heard good things about American West Homes, I was curious if people had opinions of them and the homes they make, etc. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions are welcome

Alandros:

I've read your messages and the comments of others regarding the Summerlin area vs. the 89141 area. My husband and I live in Florida in the greater Ft. Lauderdale area and have plans of relocating to the Vegas area as soon as we can sell a couple of houses here. Our market here is about as bad as the Vegas market right now.

First, let me say that I have been an active Realtor for 26 years, and I might even be a tougher customer than you! My husband and I have been concentrating more on the mid to south Vegas/Henderson area. I have done and am still doing extensive research until we can finally make a purchase. I have found the prices in Summerlin seem to be less for a similar product, than further south, say, in the Henderson general area. Overall, resales are much higher priced (and very often ridiculous) than the short sales and foreclosures. I have found that even with doing renovations, a resale (short sale/foreclosure) is still a better buy than new construction. However, you should still have exactly what you want, be it new or resale.

Regarding new construction: Yes, you will get what you want but keep in mind that the perfect house has never been built! There are always things you forget and you will find things that aren't what you thought they would be. Some of the things you should do or think about: how long you expect to be in the house; the immediate (local) crime rate (check with the local police department); gated or not; people have a false sense of security about gated communities. There are more break-ins in gated communities than non-gated, and they usually occur during the day. Is a clubhouse & activities important to you; adult or non-adult community (kids are noisy & destructive and do you want to pay for playgrounds & their maintenance); what are pet restrictions.

ALWAYS make sure you get a survey. Title insurance is NOT always paid for by the buyer. Title insurance is a traditional item by area, and NOT cast in concrete. Discuss that cost with your Realtor and don't be afraid to be firm. I never let my customers pay a "transaction fee," if there is one. That is a padded, bogus charge by many real estate offices and has proven to be illegal unless they can attribute it to a 'real' service that they have performed. Call the Better Business Bureau regarding the builder (if new construction). Perhaps one of the best things you can do is to drive the neighborhood and talk to people who live in the community. They will usually give you the real scoop. Ask them about the builder, his reputation, his product and how they were handled and serviced after they purchased.

The floorplan/builder you choose and location are only a small part of how happy you will be after all is said and done. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: