Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You ever been in Wheeling on a bad day? Makes Newark look good. W. VA is someplace between bad KY and bad VA and bad TN.

Got to admit you have good judgement though. You got out.
I believe that Wheeling is more aligned to Pittsburgh, but you don't have to be rude about it. Are you from WV? Did you ever live there? I stand by my statement that it is the most beautiful eastern state, and I'll add that it is probably one of the five most beautiful in the country. WV is nearly all forest. There are only two directions...up and down, which is why it is called the Mountain state. Mountains are beautiful...cities are not necessarily. I did the fall color tour in New England a couple of years ago and while I enjoyed it and it was beautiful, I was very unimpressed with Vermont and New Hampshire over all. I noted that neither was more beautiful in fall than WV; in fact you could hardly tell the difference if you were dropped in one or the other without knowing which it was, except for the people. No state has more friendly, hard working, or neighborly people than West Virginia. And, in case you hadn't noticed...once a West Virginian...always a West Virginian...no matter how long you are away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I believe that Wheeling is more aligned to Pittsburgh, but you don't have to be rude about it. Are you from WV? Did you ever live there? I stand by my statement that it is the most beautiful eastern state, and I'll add that it is probably one of the five most beautiful in the country. WV is nearly all forest. There are only two directions...up and down, which is why it is called the Mountain state. Mountains are beautiful...cities are not necessarily. I did the fall color tour in New England a couple of years ago and while I enjoyed it and it was beautiful, I was very unimpressed with Vermont and New Hampshire over all. I noted that neither was more beautiful in fall than WV; in fact you could hardly tell the difference if you were dropped in one or the other without knowing which it was, except for the people. No state has more friendly, hard working, or neighborly people than West Virginia. And, in case you hadn't noticed...once a West Virginian...always a West Virginian...no matter how long you are away.
Did not mean to be rude just pulling your chain a little. By upbringing I am a kentuckian...though I have been in that state only a few times in the last fourty years and mostly by accident while visiting in Cincinnati.

I would note that all of the mountains in that part of the country would be potholes in most of Nevada. There is nothing above 5,000 feet is there? Hills would be more descriptive.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 PM

It terms of altitude and compared with our twelve and thirteeners, they are hills. The highest peak in WV is about 4800 feet. They think that's pretty high until I remind them of 11,982 foot Mt. Charleston near Vegas which isn't even our highest. But in terms of steepness and ruggedness they are mountains back there. If you were to fall 1000 feet it wouldn't matter if it were from 3500 to 2500, or 13,000 to 12,000...you'd be just as dead. Riding my bike, or towing my sled up those West Virginia hills in my younger days, I would have said you're nuts if you told me I'd one day be hiking up 13,000 foot peaks in Nevada. I hate walking uphill but love mountains. That's why us WV hillbillies develop one leg shorter than the other. So we can walk around the hills.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 PM

211 posts, read 985,871 times
I drove from Long Island to Vegas back in November,, I did the Mapquest directions that took me through Penn, Ohio, Indiania, Ill, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Vegas,, I think it was 1-80

the drive is fine outside of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania is the worst most boring state to drive in, once you get to Ohio(maybe Indiania) the trip is much smoother and more scenic,, I would drive it again in a heartbeat

I had literaly like 6 hours of traffic just getting from Long Island to Pennsylvania as there was a ridiciulous traffic back up in Jersey from some emergency, then after that cleared up I literaly didnt step on the brakes one time as far as traffic went until I hit Vegas

And yea Utah is an amazing state, I regret I drove most of it at nite, but you can tell it is really nice, also Colorado is a crazy state as far as driving,, it was very smooth until you hit Denver, and once I hit Denver I honestly thought I had a flat tire cuz I couldnt explain why my car wasnt moving

Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 AM

9 posts, read 25,357 times
Default Hubby & My Dad making this trip

Well, I thought I'd be the one making this trip with hubby, but my dad offered up the help (he likes this sort of thing) so...they are on the road as I type. They are taking the south route. It's a big truck and they wanted to avoid some of those colder places. It's nothing but rain for the time being, but my husband is looking forward to the creep into NM~ says it just comes out of nowhere. We moved from Brigantine, NJ in September and it's a very exciting deal to get our belongings out to Vegas finally. I must say that I'm a bit jealous of them, really would have liked to see some of those places. We dig the openness of the West! Vast spaces, amazing mountains, etc. When we can we take day trips just driving around finding all sorts of wonderous nature. It's a big change from Jersey and we're hoping it will "stick". Safe driving Everyone!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,963,096 times
Good luck, Wendy! I will be making the drive back to MI from NV in Jan. I will definitely be taking the southern route.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
i learned it also, if you can avoid it, stay away from colorado, the mountain roads are treacherous.. we went from ohio to vegas through denver, never again... not to mention it was a very very boring drive...
on the way back, we drove vegas to amarillo texas (stopped), amarillo to st louis (stopped) and then st louis to ohio... much better ride... speeds were well in excess of 95mph through new mexico and texas.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM

278 posts, read 1,085,217 times
It's a matter of preference and weather. The first time we drove across country we took the southern route and it was the most boring trip. Not much to look at until you get to New Mexico. When we moved here we went through Denver. The mountains were beautiful in Colorado and Utah. Though I would never take that route in the winter!!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM

109 posts, read 501,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

If I was to do it again, I'd probably take the 80 route, just to get some nice mountain scenery through UT and CO. Of course, if you're driving a moving truck with a car trailer on the back, that mountain route might not be as fun. At least you won't have to worry about snow and ice at this time of year.

Best of luck,

Bob

I did this trip in Septmeber from Brooklyn NY. Went through PA stopped in Chicago to visit family and took the 80 route, wow, what amzing beautiful scenery!

Everone should try to see Colorado, it is AMAZING. Some of the homes look as though they were sprinkled on the mountain tops.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:01 PM

I hate to worry anyone, but at this time of year you are not going to be completely free from snow on the southern route. I have driven in many a blizzard and freezing road conditions across New Mexico and Arizona, where I had to find a motel to hold up overnight. Especially in and around the Flagstaff, AZ, area, but also around Grants, NM, or between Amarillo,TX, and Albuquerque. Tijeras Canyon entering Albuquerque along I-40 can really be bad at times. Tijeras Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas