Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,562 times

Advertisements

I was very surprised when I read an article about Las Vegas having a smog problem. (Sorry, I couldn't find the link again.) Anyway, is this true? I grew-up in Orange County, CA... seems like everywhere has better air than SoCal. How big of an issue is smog?

Also, what about allergies? When I have visited for weekend trips I haven't had too many asthma or allergy problems, except when I have gone in May / June. Generally speaking how do people with allergies and asthma do in Vegas? Is there a bad time of the year? Etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I was very surprised when I read an article about Las Vegas having a smog problem. (Sorry, I couldn't find the link again.) Anyway, is this true? I grew-up in Orange County, CA... seems like everywhere has better air than SoCal. How big of an issue is smog?

Also, what about allergies? When I have visited for weekend trips I haven't had too many asthma or allergy problems, except when I have gone in May / June. Generally speaking how do people with allergies and asthma do in Vegas? Is there a bad time of the year? Etc. Thanks!

Highly variable but mostly good. There is substantial pollen in the spring mostly from imported trees. They have long ago been outlawed but there are lots left.

Get some blowing dust and ozone in the summer. CO in the winter. Very mild by So Cal standards....

See...

http://ccaqapps5m.co.clark.nv.us/cgi...archive_rpt.pl

Also note that it is mostly low in the valley stuff. You can evade what there is pretty completely by getting above 2500 feet.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Some people report new allergies after moving to the desert but I think it depends on what you are allergic to. Realistically, if you have lived in Sol Cal the smog here will seem like nothing.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,234 times
The smog here can be cut with a knife but it provides for some super duper sunsets. I've developed allergies since moving here from the midwest, never had any before, but I don't let it get me down because when the sinus infections develop I simply visit the doctor and shell out a couple hundred dollars to fix it up. We get a lot of dust and smog from L.A. and since we're situated in a bowl it has nowhere to go, and people are always hacking and wheezing. But the mountains are pretty, even as sillouettes through the haze.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
My (sometimes severe) hay fever doesn't bother me at all here. Back in Silicon Valley I've had the white part of my eyes blister after going for a bike ride in the spring. Nothing like that here.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
The smog here can be cut with a knife
That's simply not true...Really the only time its VERY heavy is when winds blow smoke in from fires (usually in Sol Cal).

Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
The smog here can be cut with a knife .

YEAH RIGHT... ONLY IF THERE IS A FIRE IN CALI

. I've developed allergies since moving here from the midwest, never had any before

EXACTLY OPPOSITE FOR ME, MINE ARE GONE

We get a lot of dust and smog from L.A.

NO WE DON'T, YOUR GLASSES NEED CLEANING

people are always hacking and wheezing.

WHERE?

But the mountains are pretty,

I AGREE

even as sillouettes through the haze.

I'M TELLIN YA' ITS THE GLASSES

Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Now I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
I don't know where the smog is, but we do have a haze made up of "particulates", especially when there has been no wind for a while. Even if no one lived here you would still get that haze. It is common to very dry desert valleys.

But about allergies and asthma, if you don't have allergies when you come here you will probably get them. Asthma is caused by allergies. Contrary to popular belief that the dry desert is the place to be if you have respiratory problems, Las Vegas and Phoenix have the highest rates of respiratory illness of anywhere in the country. Dry dusty air causes mucus membranes to dry out and leave you open to all sorts of breathing problems.

That said, I'd like to meet someone who doesn't have any allergies in this day and age. I'm sure that noses run in most of your families , but runny noses and breathing problems aren't the only sign of allergies. Even that mysterious pain in your left rackalflatch is probably caused by not just one, but probably a group of allergies that you don't even know you have. NAET - Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques are alternative allergy medications used to reduce or eliminate allergy and disease

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,234 times
Hey, I love the smog that blows in from L.A. on this weather phenomenon called the Jet stream which our schools here must not teach about. Hint: it blows west to east. Las Vegas isn't west of L.A. I learned that in geography class. I love teaching people new things. It's one of the things I LOVE about living in Las Vegas. There are so many people to teach! But back to what I was saying: the sunsets are very pretty. And yeah, everyone is sick all the time not just from outdoor gunk but also from toxic mold that thrives indoors here. BUT doctors gotta eat too right?

HEY, I'M LOVING LAS VEGAS. I'M STARTING TO TURN INTO A BONA FIDE LOCAL. LOOK, I'M TYPING ALL IN CAPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas