Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 AM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times

Advertisements

The first time I was summoned for jury duty, I didn't want to go. Since, I've been selected to serve on three juries and loved every minute. All three were criminal trails. The first trail involved a robbery at a downtown bar. A black man was charged and when the judge asked prospective jurors if there were any reasons why they could not be fair and impartial, one lady said 'yes, he (the defendant) looks like the person that raped my sister', thinking this would get her excused. She was excused, but not for the day, just to go back to the jury pool room. It's not easy to get dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I have, over the years, received 10 or so summons for jury duty.
I have responded to every one.
I have religiously called and been told ...nope dont need you youre excused.

DAMN....I WANNA convict someone.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times

I got summons as a witness to testify last year. Part of the summons states that you be paid 1 day witness summons pay and parking reimbursed. When i tried to get the parking validated. The clerk said "Jesus your work downtown. Next time use your employee parking space."

Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
I also serve when called...about once every 4-5 years. Call me odd (but remember...it's a compliment to me)...but I actually feel patriotic when doing so. I've only been a juror...once...for a criminal matter. I actually was convinced one way when deliberations started, but was open to what others thought. When all was said and done, I was able to change my opinion, based on the deliberations. I find the whole process quite interesting and rewarding.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I did participate in a mock jury late last year. And all that time I wanted to be on a jury before went down the toilet when i found out how boring the entire process is. And I only had to "serve" for 2 hours. But at least I was paid $100 for my time. Not bad at $50 an hour.
Now why can't they just do that all the time or at least reimburse people for what they really make an hour so it's not a hardship on them! Then people will be jumping through hoops to serve, or at least until they find out how boring it can be.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
I have never had summons and I have lived in Las Vegas for 10 years. I hope I don't jinx myself!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Here's a suggestion....get a list of those unemployed, send them summons and select from group. They have the time and pay could be deducted from their unemployment check, although you no longer get paid if you're not selected for a jury.

It is a rewarding experience. If I was on trail, I would want jurors like me deciding my fate.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I did participate in a mock jury late last year. And all that time I wanted to be on a jury before went down the toilet when i found out how boring the entire process is. And I only had to "serve" for 2 hours. But at least I was paid $100 for my time. Not bad at $50 an hour.
Now why can't they just do that all the time or at least reimburse people for what they really make an hour so it's not a hardship on them! Then people will be jumping through hoops to serve, or at least until they find out how boring it can be.
The selection process might be boring, but listening to evidence and deciding guilt or innocents was very interesting and not boring at all.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM

88 posts, read 357,303 times
Last year I went in for Jury Duty for the first time ever and I (P) am 37 (36 at the time). I got selected, had no excuse, because my work pays us during jury duty. I actually enjoyed it, because it was a new experience. I would rather be in that part of the courtroom the sitting behind one of the 2 tables. My trial, we only deliberated for only 2 hours on a criminal trial that lasted like 4 hours.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
Here's a suggestion....get a list of those unemployed, send them summons and select from group. They have the time and pay could be deducted from their unemployment check, although you no longer get paid if you're not selected for a jury.

It is a rewarding experience. If I was on trail, I would want jurors like me deciding my fate.
I've noticed the unemployment thing pop up a few times, and I agree with a post from Buzz I read several pages back. People on unemployment insurance want to - and should - spend their time finding another job.

Nothing against the idea, but I just think, like recent Republican votes on extensions of benefits, it's a bit misguided in who it attacks. Why not go after all the people who are on welfare without reason of disability or unforeseen single parenting (obviously, the disabled and preoccupied should be exempt). There is a huge constituency out there, though, who are on welfare and lack either justification. Some are probably legit, others total scams, but that's for another discussion. The fact is, those people have the time to do this and society is essentially paying them for giving nothing back (cf. unemployment insurance, which is paid for while employed and based on time spent employed). Why not ask welfare recipients for a day of boring legal obligation every now and again in exchange for their free ride from society?

Also, there are a LOT of college and trust fund "kids" out there still on the dole of the Bank of Parent(s). I knew many of them in college, and believe me, they have a LOT of time on their hands, especially if they're jobless and still not making the grade. Some of them have such an overly idealistic sense of social obligation that a conversation with them is akin to meeting an up-and-coming Communist rebel. I think those people could live with giving a day back to society here and there, too.

Any other ideas? I'd also include wealthy, unemployed, childless wives/divorcees, but it occurs to me I'd rather have my fate in the hands of a welfare scammer or trust-fund brat than one of those superficial, callous monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas