Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Skisickle,

You just gave me an idea. I will go there drunk dressed like a bum. I will tell them I hate the police, and I have multiple DUI's (the multiple DUI's is true) I am serious, because that would definitely work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Suggestion: Also, arrange it so that you smell really bad, so that others will complain.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
You will probably be excused if you have friends or family who have commited the same crime. My key is to always wear purple tights and a short skirt. Something about that makes them never choose me.
That works even better if you are a guy

Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,343 times
I've rec'd the letter twice this year also. Make the required call the night before as they may not need you to report. I've also had to go down and report and wait around a few hours then be released. You just never know.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
I have been summoned twice, but called both times and haven't actually had to serve (didn't even have to show up).

But, if I did have to go, I'd be mentioning, I'm a big believer of jury nullification. Not because I don't want to serve (my employer pays full pay when on jury duty), but because I do believe in jury nullification.

What is Jury Nullification?

If actually selected to be on a jury, you are likely to be asked to swear to find a verdict solely on the basis of the facts presented in court. Decline to swear this on the grounds that the jury has a right to find a verdict as they see fit. This right is called "jury nullification." In short, it allows a jury to return a verdict of "innocent" when the accused is clearly guilty, because the jury disagrees with the law that was broken. You probably want to read up on this before your jury duty. This is a right held by the juror and affirmed by the Supreme Court, but one that both prosecutors and judges usually deeply loathe, if they even acknowledge its existence. You will almost certainly be excused from the jury for holding unacceptable views, but if not, you will be better prepared for the experience from your research.
    • Judges who says to jurors that, "you will be required to follow and apply this law regardless of whether it seems just or not", might be asked if they would exercise this rule against Harriet Tubman (1820-1913), who violated the federal Fugitive Slave Laws by participating in the Underground Railroad for escaped slaves, or against Rosa Parks (b.1913), who was arrested in 1955 for violating the segregation laws in Montgomery, Alabama, by refusing to move to the back of the bus when the bus driver told her to give up her seat to a white passenger. If a judge bites the bullet and says that, yes, he would have to instruct juries to convict these women because the law is the law, he might be told that such blind obedience was not accepted as a defense during the War Crimes Tribunal at Nuremberg, when many Nazis claimed that they were just "following orders." A judge who participates in injustices because he is "following orders" might be similarly called to account.
    • The late Justice William C. Goodloe (1919-1997) of the Washington State Supreme Court, an advocate of jury nullification, suggested that the following instruction be given by judges to all juries in criminal cases: "You are instructed that this being a criminal case you are the exclusive judges of the evidence, the credibility of the witnesses and the weight to be given to their testimony, and you have a right also to determine the law in the case. The court does not intend to express any opinion concerning the weight of the evidence, but it is the duty of the court to advise you as to the law, and it is your duty to consider the instructions of the court; yet in your decision upon the merits of the case you have a right to determine for yourselves the law as well as the facts by which your verdict shall be governed."

Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Classically people are excused if they can't do the jury duty without losing needed pay. Something in writing from the employer helps.
That is a myth. The law doesn't accept that as an excuse. But some judges are more lenient, but usually they don't even ask that, and they aren't interested in your personal problems. A letter from the employer would have to show that your taking time off would create a hardship on an essential business. Who summoned you? federal, state, or county? The rules are usually pretty much the same but each might be slightly different in the procedure. Usually you don't even get a chance to ask to be excused. You meet in a group and are ushered in to the court room together where they draw numbers or names for the first twelve people. Then they question them and when one is excused they draw another name. As soon as they get enough for the trial everyone else is excused. Sometimes you'll call the night before, as you were probably instructed, and they'll tell you you've been excused. But if you go in front of a judge and refuse to serve he just might throw you in the hoosegow. Best advice? Just relax and enjoy the learning experience. Chances are you won't be chosen for the jury, and if you are, most trials don't last that long. I was picked for a murder trial that they said would only take three days. It took three weeks. So once in a while you're stuck for a long one. Once I was picked as an alternate for a gun possession by a felon trial. It took two days of my time total. Other times I've gone in and sat for a while before they came out and sent us home, and still other times my number wasn't drawn out of the hat.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Skisickle,

You just gave me an idea. I will go there drunk dressed like a bum. I will tell them I hate the police, and I have multiple DUI's (the multiple DUI's is true) I am serious, because that would definitely work too.
That will for sure get you thrown in jail.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I have been summoned twice, but called both times and haven't actually had to serve (didn't even have to show up).

But, if I did have to go, I'd be mentioning, I'm a big believer of jury nullification. Not because I don't want to serve (my employer pays full pay when on jury duty), but because I do believe in jury nullification.

What is Jury Nullification?

If actually selected to be on a jury, you are likely to be asked to swear to find a verdict solely on the basis of the facts presented in court. Decline to swear this on the grounds that the jury has a right to find a verdict as they see fit. This right is called "jury nullification." In short, it allows a jury to return a verdict of "innocent" when the accused is clearly guilty, because the jury disagrees with the law that was broken. You probably want to read up on this before your jury duty. This is a right held by the juror and affirmed by the Supreme Court, but one that both prosecutors and judges usually deeply loathe, if they even acknowledge its existence. You will almost certainly be excused from the jury for holding unacceptable views, but if not, you will be better prepared for the experience from your research.
    • Judges who says to jurors that, "you will be required to follow and apply this law regardless of whether it seems just or not", might be asked if they would exercise this rule against Harriet Tubman (1820-1913), who violated the federal Fugitive Slave Laws by participating in the Underground Railroad for escaped slaves, or against Rosa Parks (b.1913), who was arrested in 1955 for violating the segregation laws in Montgomery, Alabama, by refusing to move to the back of the bus when the bus driver told her to give up her seat to a white passenger. If a judge bites the bullet and says that, yes, he would have to instruct juries to convict these women because the law is the law, he might be told that such blind obedience was not accepted as a defense during the War Crimes Tribunal at Nuremberg, when many Nazis claimed that they were just "following orders." A judge who participates in injustices because he is "following orders" might be similarly called to account.
    • The late Justice William C. Goodloe (1919-1997) of the Washington State Supreme Court, an advocate of jury nullification, suggested that the following instruction be given by judges to all juries in criminal cases: "You are instructed that this being a criminal case you are the exclusive judges of the evidence, the credibility of the witnesses and the weight to be given to their testimony, and you have a right also to determine the law in the case. The court does not intend to express any opinion concerning the weight of the evidence, but it is the duty of the court to advise you as to the law, and it is your duty to consider the instructions of the court; yet in your decision upon the merits of the case you have a right to determine for yourselves the law as well as the facts by which your verdict shall be governed."
Yeah, that'll work. What kind of cigarettes do you want us to bring you in jail?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,252 times
Default What about this idea.......

My wife recently had to go sit and wait to be excused and a few co-workers this week had to do the same. I started thinking about a different way to handle Jury Duty.

1) Have a $50 option to pass on serving. Some how make arrangements with employers to split this with the employee. My reasoning for this is, one of our emplyoees that was not at work makes us A LOT of money when he is here, but none when he's not.
2) If you have been on unemployement for more than 4 weeks you will be required to attend Jury duty, once every two weeks until employeed.

I know its radical thinking and feel free to rip it to shreds, just brainstorming. I just think how many people (not all of course) would pay the $50 to get out of wasting a day (whom some DON'T get paid for, like my wife) at the court house. Thats money that can go back into the State, County, City wherever. By having people on unemplyoment serve this would save the courts from paying the $40 per day for serving, considering they are all ready receiving money from the state. If you can't pay the $50 (or $25) then you show up.

I was talking about this with the wife, she liked some of it but didn't like other parts. what do you all think???

Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Classically people are excused if they can't do the jury duty without losing needed pay. Something in writing from the employer helps.
You’re going to need more than a letter from your employer. Once you call in requesting an excusal because of financial distress. The Court Clerk is going to make you fill out a financial distress form and prove it.

For the others posters saying to go in smelling bad or dress in a manor not appropriate for court. You just will be just sent home and have to serve again at a later date. Do it twice in a row and you probably get your driver license suspended and a bench warrant issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas