Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM

250 posts, read 1,112,860 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are taking our daughter trick or treating for her first time, but also wanted to have candy out for other trick or treaters. We're not really comfortable with leaving a bowl unattended to be wiped out by the first couple kids/teenagers that come by. Any suggestions for keeping trick or treaters to only take one or two candies or would it be a lost cause and not bother leaving anything out for trick or treaters if we don't have anyone to pass it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
My wife and I are taking our daughter trick or treating for her first time, but also wanted to have candy out for other trick or treaters. We're not really comfortable with leaving a bowl unattended to be wiped out by the first couple kids/teenagers that come by. Any suggestions for keeping trick or treaters to only take one or two candies or would it be a lost cause and not bother leaving anything out for trick or treaters if we don't have anyone to pass it out?
You are WAY better off just staying home, handing out candy, and buying your daughter candy yourself for Halloween. It is downright dangerous and stupid to take cheap candy from unknown people in this day and age and feed it to your kids IMHO. It is so easy, and even untraceable to alter the candy with needles, poisons, substances, etc. I personally got affect myself this way when I was a kid. Some jackass put a small needle in a milky way bar, and I managed to chop down on it causing severe pain, but thankfully no permanent damage.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
While you're gone, leave something out that no one wants, like packets of raisins or something like that. Give away the good stuff when you're there to hand it out.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Every year, all the local news stations tell of the safe trick or treating area's to take your kids. If you stick to those,you should be fine with the candy your little one's get. There are area's in town where the whole neighborhood is designated a safe zone for the trick or treaters.

Also leaving a bowl of candy for kids to take just one only will result in one kid taking the whole bowl. Never trust the honor system with kids.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,457 times
A study of newspaper articles and TV news reports showed that no child has ever been harmed by malicious candy given out at Halloween. As risky as it may seem, history shows that trick or treating is a safe activity for kids.

I am assuming part of the reason is that cavities occurance or weight gain after Halloween don't make the 5 o'clock news. :-)

Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
A study of newspaper articles and TV news reports showed that no child has ever been harmed by malicious candy given out at Halloween. As risky as it may seem, history shows that trick or treating is a safe activity for kids.

I am assuming part of the reason is that cavities occurance or weight gain after Halloween don't make the 5 o'clock news. :-)
I generally agree with you, but this post you just made is pure stupidity. I HAVE BEEN HARMED PERSONALLY BY MALICIOUS CANDY!!!!!!!! Didn't you read my post above???

Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I generally agree with you, but this post you just made is pure stupidity. I HAVE BEEN HARMED PERSONALLY BY MALICIOUS CANDY!!!!!!!! Didn't you read my post above???
You are very rare LVD. Snopes has an extensive report on the item.

snopes.com: Halloween Poisonings

It would appear there is perhaps one real report of a foreign object. And you make two. Unless your needle was the work of a sibling or a friend.

I would think that makes the odds of harm almost infinitesmally small.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Sure, I read your post. But your incident must not have made the news in a newpaper or television, so my statement holds true.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Where are you located? If any place in the NW you can use our area. Everybody has lots of stuff but get very few kids. It is a great place for kids not at the toddler level. It is dark and spookey and the houses are far apart. Little kids will find too much walking and too challenging an environment.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 PM

228 posts, read 555,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Every year, all the local news stations tell of the safe trick or treating area's to take your kids. If you stick to those,you should be fine with the candy your little one's get. There are area's in town where the whole neighborhood is designated a safe zone for the trick or treaters.
Great mention!
I've heard both Town Square (South LV BLVD and I-215) and Springs Preserve (Valley View BLVD and US-95) offer safe trick-or-treating and Halloween activities for youngsters. Check their websites.

It is definitely a gamble leaving out a bowl of candy. I used to be one of those punks who would dump the entire bowl in my bag.

With that said, 2 years ago, my first Halloween after moving into my house, I left out 2 huge bowls of candy bars. Came home the next morning to find one bowl empty and the other about 3/4th empty. Neighbors told me most nearly all of the kids trick-or-treating were young and with parents.
Did the exact same last year: Came home to find one bowl empty and the other near empty. Neighbors told me, again, parents were making sure their kids took no more than a handful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas