Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times

Advertisements

We do Halloween big in our neighborhood. A few of us neighbors set up a table on my driveway and we dole out the candy for each of our homes from there, the adults all wear costumes. We put up a pot of coffee and tea, we bake muffins and cookies and we'll sit for a couple of hours kibbitzing while the kids are out. We offer refreshments to the adults, and we'll usually have quite a few of them join us!

The little ones start about 5:30 pm, and being Halloween is on a Saturday this year, it'll be later (probably 9:30-10PM) by the time the last kids come around.

We're getting less and less kids as the years go by, they've all grown up! I could never understand why we get car/van loads of kids, dumped off in our neighborhood and they don't even live in this area though!

Everyone loves coming to MomMom's house. I give out BAGS

Oh, the expressions on those faces..."OH WOW!!! A BAG!!!!"

It just adds to the fun, you can't wait to get home to open that little paper Halloween treat bag to see what's in it. I remember when I was little, just about all our treats were in bags!

I usually put two mini candy bars in there and a bag of candy corn and a little plastic toy (a ring, sticker, wash off tattoo, etc) that I buy in bulk from Oriental Trading. To further the excitement, I have a huge orange and black wicker bowl that I fill with all those bags, and when the children come over to me so I could give them their treat I present the bowl to the kids and tell them, choose JUST ONE but pick anyone you like!!

Oh, so hard to choose!! I've had kids stand there and pick up one, put it down, choose another one, put it back, and finally they settle on "the one"

They are filled with the same thing, but the kids don't know that! And I usually use 2 or 3 different kinds of bags so they all look different.

I love Halloween. And yes, it's safe, use common sense. Anything loose and not in a wrapper gets thrown away (unless you KNOW the person who gave it to you), stay in your immediate home area, give the kids flashlights so they can see and be seen. I didn't allow any of my kids to go out alone until they were about 11 years old, and they went in and stayed in a group only. They had time limits and street boundaries. Never, ever had a problem on Halloween! It's for children and us "older" kids to enjoy too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,296 times
I can telll you are a really neat gal MomMom from the way you described the bags you make up for the kids and their joy in choosing one. Didn't you know that the kids go further down the street and then pass the word to the other kids just coming along that the best place to go is MomMom's house? I imagine the word travels for miles and that's why you see the van loads of kids showing up. LOL. Unfortunately we do not have any little kids in our neighborhood so there is no trick or treating but previously we lived in a very wealthy neighborhood and the cars and vans would come, many with their fenders tied on with rope, and we just knew they did not belong. Funny the things Halloween brings out.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I can telll you are a really neat gal MomMom from the way you described the bags you make up for the kids and their joy in choosing one. Didn't you know that the kids go further down the street and then pass the word to the other kids just coming along that the best place to go is MomMom's house? I imagine the word travels for miles and that's why you see the van loads of kids showing up. LOL. Unfortunately we do not have any little kids in our neighborhood so there is no trick or treating but previously we lived in a very wealthy neighborhood and the cars and vans would come, many with their fenders tied on with rope, and we just knew they did not belong. Funny the things Halloween brings out.
Thank you jjameson, I love Halloween and try to make it (and every holiday) the best and most festive it can be!

Not only for the kids, but for us adults too!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Halloween just happens to be jfkIII's birthday. My mom always said I was trick...not a treat.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
mmm so THAT's why you always wear your costume.....

HBD JFKIII

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks...wish I was in LV for this one.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Thanks...wish I was in LV for this one.
Me too, look forward to seeing you and the Mrs. again!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Halloween just happens to be jfkIII's birthday. My mom always said I was trick...not a treat.
Think of it this way - that's a whole lot better than if she said the same thing about your father.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM

MBA...Thanks for hard chuckle...tried to rep ya, but it locked me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas