Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM

278 posts, read 792,446 times

Advertisements

southern highlands is too isolated for me. but i prefer the westside, which is why i recently bought in summerlin.

i'm also of a younger demographic, so that may play a part. i do have an acquaintance that lives there, and she loves it, and feels that it's convenient for her. for reference, she's in her 40s, unmarried, no kids.

"what might be right for you, may not be right for some..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,052,450 times
i still want to know what the green stuff is in the pictures

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

278 posts, read 792,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i still want to know what the green stuff is in the pictures
looks like a creeping vine plant of some sort (ie ivy).

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM

in the last few pictures, its inside too

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM

202 posts, read 584,290 times
We have talked about moving to LV and one area we are interested in is Southern Highlands. We liked the area very much. Yes there are grocery stores, pharmacies etc. I do think when it comes to malls you might have to drive a few minutes but I really don't know. I know the new Town Center is not that far down I-15. I like Summerlin also but Southern Highlands is very pretty.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
looks like a creeping vine plant of some sort (ie ivy).

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. It don't look too natural, in my opinion. Though of course it's probably not fake or nothing.

Quote:
on pic 1, there is none then on pic 2 its loaded
pic 1 looks like the front of the house, and then pic 2 looks like the back.

Quote:
in the last few pictures, its inside too
in those pics, you're on the inside of what you're looking at in pic 2.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,270,735 times
Here is a pretty nice virtual tour.

Las Vegas (548852)

Nice looking house...Nicely done. I would think it clearly in the McMansion class...too big for its site. But that is a preference call.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
I might as well add my 2 cents.

That is a nice house. We have that style all over Las Vegas, so if you don't like the area you could still find the house. I think the listing is wrong on the master, but if not then it is too small. Then the place needs window coverings. But other than that it's a beautiful home. If I had a MIL I wouldn't want the MIL suite, but that's just me. And I agree with Olecapt that the lot is way too small for a house like that.

I think at $155 a sq ft it's a little pricey but for that house it's probably worth it. My neighborhood in the NW is averaging slightly over $100, but all of the recent sales were foreclosures or short sales. Still, the house next door that my wife is mad at me for not buying is as nice as the one you're looking at. I think it did the best at about $140 a sq ft.

As for Southern Highlands, I like the rustic, or maybe I should say rural, look of the area. I don't like the roads in the area though. As far as "isolation" I have no idea what your realtor means. It isn't any more isolated than any other neighborhood around here...which is to say not isolated at all. It might be hotter there. I'm not sure of the elevation but I'd guess it's a lot like Henderson in that way. It will be dusty and dirty as he** for several more years too as they are still building roads and homes, and there are still a lot of dirt roads in the area that people ride bikes and Jeeps on. On the other hand, if you go to LA a lot you'll save a half hour to an hour of travel time. Same if you go to the lake. But the mountains will be quite a trip from there. Even downtown. Depends on what you will be doing the most. Driving long distances is nothing to us. It's those effete eastern snobs that don't like to drive. Ha.

I'm hoping you get the Desert Shores house. I still expect you to have me over to sit on your patio overlooking the lake and letting me catch some fish from your back yard. Anyway, you'd probably be happier there in the long run.

Keep in mind though that this advice comes from one who is still thinking he should have bought a custom home on half an acre off the (so called) Blue Diamond road when he had the chance. (So called because Charleston Blvd is really the Blue Diamond Road, and the one referred to as Blue Diamond Rd is really the Pahrump Highway.)

History lesson: When the freeway off ramp to the Pahrump Highway was built in the 60's, they put up a sign that said Blue Diamond that-away, and now it's called Blue Diamond Road, but Blue Diamond is on a totally different highway. BTW, a guy found what he thought was "blue", diamond clay, while driving his horse and buggy across a stream near the present town of Blue Diamond, back when they still traveled by hoss around these parts. He went to San Francisco to find investors for a diamond mine in Nevada, but when he came back he couldn't find the clay again. But the name stuck. And that's more than y'all wanted to know, tain't it?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
Quote:
also , what is all that green stuff (looks like vines) on the front of the house.. on pic 1, there is none then on pic 2 its loaded and then on the last couple pics looks like its on the inside
It is an ugly creeping ivy, but it will probably fill in a lot more eventually. The "inside" view is a tower/widow's-walk/balcony like thingy. I think it's over the courtyard. There are two entrances shown; one to the circular courtyard, where you'll find the "casita", or mother-in-law house, and one to the house.

You know what that looks like? It looks like a model home with every upgrade available.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I might as well add my 2 cents.

I'm hoping you get the Desert Shores house. I still expect you to have me over to sit on your patio overlooking the lake and letting me catch some fish from your back yard.
don't forget about me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas