Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,249,540 times

Advertisements

Because the settlement is dragging on so long and I am not expecting to get much after the lawfirm of Dewey Chetum and Howe takes their cut, I am thinking of going ahead and getting my house repiped. My builder is in bankruptcy and they will not pay out until they emerge.

I am still a party to the class action, but I am unsure if it is smart to be proactive in my repair and get it done now and send this information to the attorneys? Any advice regarding the Kitec fiasco would be good at this point.

I want to remodel some spaces and the last thing I need is to have a pipe bust after I have done some expensive remodelling.

Has anyone repiped recently with a company? I want to know how clean they were and how well you are satisfied with the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,249,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Because the settlement is dragging on so long and I am not expecting to get much after the lawfirm of Dewey Chetum and Howe takes their cut, I am thinking of going ahead and getting my house repiped. My builder is in bankruptcy and they will not pay out until they emerge.

I am still a party to the class action, but I am unsure if it is smart to be proactive in my repair and get it done now and send this information to the attorneys? Any advice regarding the Kitec fiasco would be good at this point.

I want to remodel some spaces and the last thing I need is to have a pipe bust after I have done some expensive remodelling.

Has anyone repiped recently with a company? I want to know how clean they were and how well you are satisfied with the work.
Kitec is a time bomb. And you can take damage that you are unlikely to recover. I would suggest that you replumb if you can afford it. Get rid of the problem and collect later.

Kitec fails messy...you don't want to go there.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Kitec is a time bomb. And you can take damage that you are unlikely to recover. I would suggest that you replumb if you can afford it. Get rid of the problem and collect later.

Kitec fails messy...you don't want to go there.
Yeah, I figured. I am going to end up spending half my remodelling budget on doing the repipe, but I don't plan on moving anytime soon. I love my house.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I figured. I am going to end up spending half my remodelling budget on doing the repipe, but I don't plan on moving anytime soon. I love my house.
There is someone who has done many in your tract. Use them. The leak detector outfit is OK if you have to find someone in general.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
There is someone who has done many in your tract. Use them. The leak detector outfit is OK if you have to find someone in general.

I am going to get bids from 3-5 companies with experience in these projects. My main concern is that the drywall and texture matches the existing stuff flawlessly. I don't want to end up with the expense of wainscoting the flawed walls.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I am going to get bids from 3-5 companies with experience in these projects. My main concern is that the drywall and texture matches the existing stuff flawlessly. I don't want to end up with the expense of wainscoting the flawed walls.
They are amazingly good. I have dealt with a dozen replumbs though only two were Kitec. All were indetectable a day after completion...

I would also favor the one who has the most in your community. The price is almost the same in any one community...and the one who does thel iion share tends to have it down the best.

Sometimes they use the same wallboard guy by the way.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,316,930 times
They are doing all the repiping in our community for free. I suspect they are billing DR Horton, since they built the place with faulty pipes. How long until the kitec pipes quit working correctly? Any ideas?
I still need our place done and have been holding off because of all the work involved in moving furniture, all clothes from the closets, things out of bathrooms etc. And not wanting the cats lost in the walls somewhere. What a pain.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
They are amazingly good. I have dealt with a dozen replumbs though only two were Kitec. All were indetectable a day after completion...

I would also favor the one who has the most in your community. The price is almost the same in any one community...and the one who does thel iion share tends to have it down the best.

Sometimes they use the same wallboard guy by the way.
Thanks, I really appreciate your recommendation. To my knowledge, there haven't been any pipe failures/repipes in my subdivision yet. The homes were built between 2000-2002 with mine coming up on nine years old. So far, no failure.

Pinkstring, The problem with the kitec fitting is that you just dont know if it's going to take 10 or 20 years to fail. The opinion of the metallurgists is that they will all fail.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times
How do you know if you have Kitec plumbing? We have a Manabloc system. Is Kitec the pipes, or the fittings, or the whole system?

I think maybe the first paragraph on this page answers the question, but I'm not a plumber. Manabloc

Found this on Kitec. KITEC repipe by Delta Mechanical | KITEC plumbing (http://www.deltamechanical.com/page/kitec.html - broken link)

Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
How do you know if you have Kitec plumbing? We have a Manabloc system. Is Kitec the pipes, or the fittings, or the whole system?

I think maybe the first paragraph on this page answers the question, but I'm not a plumber. Manabloc

Found this on Kitec. KITEC repipe by Delta Mechanical | KITEC plumbing (http://www.deltamechanical.com/page/kitec.html - broken link)
It is actually the easiest thing in the world. Except very difficult in practice because you can't see anything. Best bet is in the attic. Red and Blue tubes are a strong clue. The product is actually an aluminum sleeve coated inside and out with plastic.

Another obvious though not certain indicator is a bright sticker in your electrical box that says "Kitec".

There is actually nothing wrong with the tubing...it is the fittings that fail. The hard water of Las Vegas and much of the SW causes a dezincification...the fitting fills up with white gunk and eventually fails.

I believe manabloc is a pex system. Ask your trusty neighborhood plumber. But I am reasonably sure it is not Kitec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas