Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM

31 posts, read 78,820 times

Advertisements

The lines are clogged in the entire house including the bathroom and the kitchen. A plumber came by and said the section of the drain line to the sewer line is bent. He snaked it and unclogged the drain but he said this is only a temporary fix. He'll need to dig deep (6' to 8') to locate the bent section and replace it. It'll cost $800 . Is bent drain line common in Vegas because I've never had such problem in the home that we used to live in Los Angeles? I heard there are piping quality problems in Las Vegas and there were some lawsuits going on. Is that any chance my plumbing problem is caused by the bad pipe as stated in these lawsuits?

We've owned the house for a little over one year and we had air conditioning, water heater problem and now this. We were also thinking of getting a second opinion. Does anyone know a good plumber near the Southern Highlands area?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,376,299 times
How old is the house? Who was the builder? They are supposed to use a certain size pipe. Not sure but I think it's three inches. A long time ago unscrupulous builders would sneak in 2 inch pipe and it would eventually clog. I don't think that's been a problem in the past few years though. I've had good service from Prestige Plumbing. They should work everywhere in the Valley I think.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,766,606 times
I am not a plumber but I think what he actually meant was that there is a "bend" in the line that is clogged. He probably noticed it when he snaked it. If the bend was originally installed without an elbow sweep, over time it can become obstructed. The alternative is to buy a snake and snake it every time it clogs.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,376,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I am not a plumber but I think what he actually meant was that there is a "bend" in the line that is clogged. He probably noticed it when he snaked it. If the bend was originally installed without an elbow sweep, over time it can become obstructed. The alternative is to buy a snake and snake it every time it clogs.
A lot cheaper than $800.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post

Once a month turn your hot water heater to high and once it reaches that temperature turn on ALL the hot water outlets to the max and let it run for 10 minutes. Also use fresh emzyme cleaner on a regular basis. Also take out the "pop-ups" on all the sinks and tubs and install mesh filters. Don't pour any grease whatsoever down the kitchen drain. If the clog comes back consider a repair of the pipe.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,816,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyww View Post
The lines are clogged in the entire house including the bathroom and the kitchen. A plumber came by and said the section of the drain line to the sewer line is bent. He snaked it and unclogged the drain but he said this is only a temporary fix. He'll need to dig deep (6' to 8') to locate the bent section and replace it. It'll cost $800 . Is bent drain line common in Vegas because I've never had such problem in the home that we used to live in Los Angeles? I heard there are piping quality problems in Las Vegas and there were some lawsuits going on. Is that any chance my plumbing problem is caused by the bad pipe as stated in these lawsuits?

We've owned the house for a little over one year and we had air conditioning, water heater problem and now this. We were also thinking of getting a second opinion. Does anyone know a good plumber near the Southern Highlands area?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Talk to the builder. That sounds like a defect. They may be willing to fix it if the home is less than 10 years old.

The plumbing problems in Las Vegas are generally related to water distribution. I have really seen no significant problems with the drains.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,839,523 times
Did he run a camera down the drain? A 'bend' in the sewer line shouldn't be noticable using a snake.

Something smells funny here.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,488 times
my hot water lines - the amount of water keeps decreasing

Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM

174 posts, read 970,395 times
I would have it taken care of ASAP. That "bend" could turn into a "break". If that happens, your sewer line could leach into other peoples property which would really be costly. This happend to a friend of mine back in Long Island.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 AM

31 posts, read 78,820 times
The clog didn't go away and I had another clog in the main line. I actually got the quote wrong. The price was not $800; he meant the line that needs replacement is 8 ft long and the cost is $3200. I called another plumber and he snaked a camera down the line and found some blockage/break in the drain line underneath the lawn that is 4 ft long and 6 ft deep. He said his camera could not go any furhter and he can't see beyond the blockage. I authorized him to dig up the lawn and repair/replace the line because this constant flooding of the main line is such a huge hassle. It destroyed my carpet and living room. However, that was only part of the problem. After he replaced and repaired the main line underneath my lawn, he snaked the camera down the sewer line that is owned by the City and found there is a flat/restriction. He is going to make a video of that findings so I can submit to the City to prove their sewer line is a problem and they need to get it fixed. He said the clogging problem should not come back in six months but I would need to get the City to fix their side of the pipe as soon as possible.

The house was built in 2004. It is just my luck. None of my neighbors have this problem. Not only the drain line under my lawn was damaged, even the City sewer line connected to my drain line is now a problem. According to the plumber, the developer probably did not install the drain line properly. However, I am not sure if I can get them to reimburse the cost now that I had paid for it. The worst part is it is not even fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: