Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM

27 posts, read 50,881 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Should i really pay attention to the price per a sqft when looking to purchase an investment property?

I notice that in so so area the price per a sqft is going down opposed to good areas. my simple logic tells me that i will benefit more in the future if the house will be located in a good area. I may be able to get more in rent but not more as an investment?

My logic tells me that the location will always be the # 1 priority, although you get less for your money.

Is that correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,297,811 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or stupid is as stupid does.

I don't think there is a black and while answer to most questions like this, just don't buy in some gang infested area.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_in_the_House View Post
Hi,

Should i really pay attention to the price per a sqft when looking to purchase an investment property?

I notice that in so so area the price per a sqft is going down opposed to good areas. my simple logic tells me that i will benefit more in the future if the house will be located in a good area. I may be able to get more in rent but not more as an investment?

My logic tells me that the location will always be the # 1 priority, although you get less for your money.

Is that correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
No it is not. Various places were hit far harder by the foreclosure mess than others. That drove their price way down compared to where it should have been.

Basically many places first sold in 2004/5/6/7 are sold very far from where they will end up when things settle.

As a general rule the return on properties in non impacted neighborhoods is much less than impacted neighborhoods and the likely appreciation is far greater in impacted than in non-impacted nieghborhoods.

You task as an investor is to take advantage of all this. Leave which is the better neighborhood to those who live here.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM

4,539 posts, read 10,647,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
No it is not. Various places were hit far harder by the foreclosure mess than others. That drove their price way down compared to where it should have been.

Basically many places first sold in 2004/5/6/7 are sold very far from where they will end up when things settle.

As a general rule the return on properties in non impacted neighborhoods is much less than impacted neighborhoods and the likely appreciation is far greater in impacted than in non-impacted nieghborhoods.

You task as an investor is to take advantage of all this. Leave which is the better neighborhood to those who live here.
Wow! I agree with you. People make fun of me for saying this, but its absolutely dead on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas