Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

61 posts, read 195,070 times

Advertisements

I know we've covered tipping before but this is specific: do you tip your bugman (or in my case buglady)?

A friend and I were discussing this and I said maybe it should be considered a continuing service like the postal carrier whom I tip at Christmas time. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,091,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsMom View Post
I know we've covered tipping before but this is specific: do you tip your bugman (or in my case buglady)?

A friend and I were discussing this and I said maybe it should be considered a continuing service like the postal carrier whom I tip at Christmas time. Any thoughts?
It's generally not advisable to tip US Government employees, as the government has specific rules that govern the acceptance of tips. They're generally required to decline them. (I'm not saying all do - I'm just saying what the rules are). I don't tip the person who delivers my mail, but that probably won't surprise some on here. At my workplace (non-government) we are required to decline any tips or gifts from outside people.

As far as the person who sprays for bugs, I'd tip them either once a year (if you want to and believe they will hang around for a while) or every time (if you want to make sure they come back).

I mowed lawns for people and I received tips a few times at the end of the season. I didn't really like the fact I got tipped, since I charged them a fair amount to begin with and didn't want people to pay more than they owed. But that's me.

I read somewhere on the internet that a person doesn't need to tip a person working for himself, as the employee is also the owner and keeps 100% of what he takes in, minus expenses. So if the person wants more money, he can simply raise prices. I think that makes a lot of sense, and most bug sprayer operations are owner-operator companies. I don't see an obligation to tip them. However, it's hard finding reliable people, so a tip might be a good way to ensure they come back.

Last edited by cedar_bluff_tree_farm; 08-07-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM

I had my last letter carrier back in CA for 6 years, and he was a great guy and I knew his fondness for Glenlivet -- LOL -- so no I didnt tip him using cash!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,474,988 times
We have people tip us every service or some that do for the Christmas or nothing. We even have one that doubles the amount of her service every month. But she has also followed my husband for the last 10 years, so she really likes him.

We own our company, so to us we are just happy when people take service. That is all that matters to us.

Bug Bully

Old 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM

I know that the techs that just work for the company like it. Even if it is a couple of dollars then that will give them money for soda or lunch.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Thank you Bugbully, this has been very helpful. My buglady is very friendly, attentive, talks just enough, always loves on my dog a minute and when she leaves I have a smile on my face . . . guess that's worth a $5 for her lunch!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Yep, if you are happy then that is all that matters. And I am sure she would appricate it. Especially for woman, hard field for them. I have only had 2 girl techs work for me over the last 10 years, and those girls worked their tail off. Had one in the worst areas of town and she was one of the best techs I had ever had in that area!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,129,583 times
I thought a buglady was a person who sprayed for bugs.....

Anyway, we tip to show our appreciation. The Christmas season brings out the best in our generosity and always tip our trashmen, mail person (a very nice woman), lawn service guys, and our tree service men...Yeah we live in Florida and we have tree service men once a week that look for those who trim their palm trees and put it out on the curb for local pick up....

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I thought a buglady was a person who sprayed for bugs.....
That is what most are. I am liscensed but do not spray, just run the office. I got licensed to learn more . Had quite a few older men techs that would give me problems. I got licensed so that I would have the knowledge when I spoke to customers, and so the old techs would take me more serious. I started in this industry when I was 20, and had to go through a lot of crap from these men. They don't like to be told how to take care of a problem from a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas