Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 AM

762 posts, read 1,565,359 times

Advertisements

My system is 30 yrs old. I need to install a new central air, any one have a name of someone they trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,043,803 times
ACCA

Besides the obvious age, what specifically is wrong with your present system? Perhaps just a replacement part will extend it's life (if cost effective).

Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,355,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
ACCA

Besides the obvious age, what specifically is wrong with your present system? Perhaps just a replacement part will extend it's life (if cost effective).
I would expect that replacing a 30 year old air conditioning unit would pay for itself in about 3 years in reduced energy costs. I would replace an older unit before making any major reports.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,270,883 times
About time air did a good job on mine.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,877,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
My system is 30 yrs old. I need to install a new central air, any one have a name of someone they trust?
I went through this about three years ago. My system was 17 years old and I figured I would be better off replacing it before it failed since a new system would be much more energy efficient.

One of my heat pumps had been replaced a few years prior, but neither the air handler (it's a split system) or inside coil had been replaced. You need to match the inside coil to the new compresor, otherwise you won't get all of the efficiency. And for the most efficient units, you have to pair them with multi-speed or variable speed air handlers. If you connect a new 14 SEER A/C to your old coil, you're probably getting closer to the 8 SEER of your old system and not 14 SEER.

I didn't want to spend a fortune, so my shopping list was one new 2.5 ton heat pump and two new single-speed air handlers, one for the new 2.5 ton heat pump, and one for the 3 year old 3.5 ton unit (I didn't go for the ultra high efficiency units). I started with the American Standard web site for their list of contractors (AS makes Trane, and AS equipment is mostly the same as Trane but the warranty isn't as long, though the contractor might offer a full 10 years, as mine did). By the way, most HVAC techs will tell you the brand of equipment isn't important, it's the installer that matters, but how do you know who is a good installer? I called up one place that seemed to have a good record with BBB, they had a sales guy come out, take my information, and had an "estimator" write up a quote for me. The sales guy guessed it would be around $20k (!!!). He called me up a while later after he had the actual estimate and it was "only" $17k. That was positively insane.

Then I called up Chazell A/C and Heating, who seemed to have a sterling reputation from the few reviews of any HVAC contractor I was able to find, and from the BBB. I figured they would be the most expensive because they seemed to have the best reputation. An HVAC tech came out and quoted me the same equipment as the previous place, and the estimate came in right at $7000. The next day I was ready to say yes, and then I got a call and they were willing to knock $400 off the price if I would get it done sometime in the next few weeks, as it was still spring and business was slow.

The install took a couple days (I did this in the spring when I knew we wouldn't be using it) and went smoothly for the most part. They did have to dismantle one of the old air handlers while it was in the attic because it wouldn't fit through the hatch (!). They said they had never seen that before. The new air handlers went through the hatch no problem. One thing they did that I was not happy about was they cut an extra round hole in the wall near the roof where the copper lines go into the attic. I guess they missed on their first try, leaving a big hole that they had to fill in later. The new heat pumps required larger diameter line sets; typically you can't reuse the existing lines because they are too small in diameter to flow the amount of refrigerant the high efficiency units require. I would have preferred it if they could have reused the old line sets (which are inside the walls), but it's more important that the lines meet mfgr specs than be hidden within the walls (metal conduit was installed around the insulated line sets, so at least there is no black hose going up the side of the house). So make sure you're getting new line sets and new air handlers when you're replacing that 30 year old equipment. When the 3.5 ton compressor went out a few years before, they didn't tell me anything about matching the coil or needing new lines, they just dropped the new compressor behind the wall with a crane, connected it to the existing lines, and finished the job without me even being home. Admittedly it functioned ok, but they don't say anything matching the inside coil or making sure the line sets met the manufacturer's specifications.

So I'm pretty happy with the work that Chazell A/C did for me. I told the HVAC tech that their company had the most positive reviews that I could find on the Internet, and he said that Gary (the owner) would be very upset at his techs if his company did not receive high praise from their customers.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM

I have found a 2.5 ton 14 seer split gas unit installed for $6200.00 - 1500 tax credit, a 400 nv power credit and a 350.00 manufactures credit.
Yippie.... Having the Ducts cleaned today..... ahhhh cool air
Thanks for the ideas and recomendations

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM

75 posts, read 95,494 times
Something is fishy here, and we're kind of far from the ocean.

In 1988, I put in a new RHEEM condensing unit on a 20 yo system. That was 950 total. In 1996, I put a self contained heat pump/ac 3.5 ton in my Phoenix condo. $2200 parts and labor, including the crane--10 seer. In 1999, I put a 2.5 ton carrier condensing unit in my condo in BHC, that was 1150 including parts labor and digital thermostat. Carrier 10 seer--my favorite. April 2008, I put a split system in my house in Chiangmai. a 1 ton, HAER. It was 375 usd. That included removing the old one, and moving the wiring and drain. That was an 11 seer.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 AM

could it be Vegas pricing? Big Variables in pricing, I wonder?
don't want to be doing this

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,047,026 times
where is BHC or Chiangmai?? Seasickie - look at posters rep before getting flustered.. In 96, spent 2200, thats 13 yrs ago.. also remember that there were new laws enacted regarding ac units several years ago.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM

75 posts, read 95,494 times
BHC is Bullhead City, AZ--just across the river. You can check the prices of the parts right here AirConditioner.com powered by Genie Air Conditioning and Heating Inc. is the largest distributor of window & wall Air Conditioner units in the U.S.. 6000 is a gd ripoff.

BTW, the place I used in BHC is called Reinke A/C. Their number is 928-768-8500.
Maybe they can recommend a good Dealer in LV or maybe they have an office or will make the 95 mile trip.

Service prices very widely here, and many other places. This is the wrong time of year to be replacing an old unit. You're going to pay a 100-300 usd premium v. the low seasons. But 6000? You could buy a TH for that kind of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas