Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times

Advertisements

You'll love it here. We Las Vegans are snobs about living in the best city of them all. You could actually live in the worst part of town and it would probably be better than any part of a lot of towns. My wife comes from Houston and she says that our so called ghetto is as nice as the normal parts of Houston. But a Houston ghetto is like the bad part of a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:14 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,693,251 times
the bad areas here are so much safer than the bad areas of the Northeast part of the country...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But a Houston ghetto is like the bad part of a third world country.
Hmmm, I don't think so! No such thing as "projects" in Houston like there are in lots of northern cities... just bad areas with lots of apartment complexes.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
All I know is that my wife was born and raised in Houston and that's what she says everytime we drive through the West Side. But, I've gotten lost in big city slums such as Chicago and Jacksonville and was afraid I'd be robbed and killed. I was poorly advised to drive through Savannah, GA, once, and I thought the homes looked like a village in Africa. I took a cab through Harlem and thought I was in Bagdad after the bombing. Drive through the West Side, which is our poorest area, and it looks a lot better than most of the old towns in the northeast. The thing about Vegas is, nothing is old here...except maybe me.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM

150 posts, read 636,544 times
Default To CheckCrime Rates down to the Street

If you move into incorporated Las Vegas, you can go to the lvmpd.com website and they have a crimetracker that will give exactly the crime that is occurring within .5 to 2 miles from your address.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
If you move into incorporated Las Vegas, you can go to the lvmpd.com website and they have a crimetracker that will give exactly the crime that is occurring within .5 to 2 miles from your address.
Works anywhere metro patrols...so city of LV and unincorporated Clark County. Does not work in Henderson or NLV.

http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/wizard.asp

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 AM

159 posts, read 479,005 times
CORRECTED POST--

I'm back--from my LV trip and to the board. Thanks LasVegasResident. KewlKid gave me that link a page ago, and I followed it. There was nothing major, mainly juvenile disturbances.

We went to see the house, sign the lease, and are VERY happy with it. We did note that some mischievous and apparently bored person with a beebee gun had a little round of target practice on the second-floor windows, from the RV road behind the house. (No target practice in front.) I must admit I was jolted to attention, which is what I needed to remind me that Las Vegas is a city, despite the view. (I think it was Buzz who previously cautioned me to do this, but in my excitement being back West, my brain initially went into la-la mode. )

My beau seems to think it was the house's being empty that made it a target, and I tend to agree. Nonetheless, my "motherly" protective instinct went immediately into effect, eliminating back-bedroom ocupancy for my brother, who has Down syndrome.

I agree with LVkewlkid when he points out that crime in the Northeast occurs on a higher scale. I've lived in the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Jersey City, so I think I'm fairly equipped, come what may. And I still believe in the basic decency of human beings and will appeal to that. What I mean to say is that I think once word gets around the 'hood about my brother, people will take their target practice to the range.

Regardless of this isolated incident, I--we--are as juiced as ever about moving! (The positive far outweighs the negative!) And since I have only 9 nine days before we vamanos from NJ, I'll save all my detailed commentary (about how great it felt to be back in the desert for 7 days, the house, the 'hood, the Strip, tons of questions, etc.) for new posts after I'm settled in late-ish June. We'll be driving cross-country, and we don't expect to arrive until the 14th.

Well sorry for the long post, and thanks for the therapy session! And thanks again for all the terrific, thoughtful, and useful commentary and advice.

Las Vegas, Nevada, here we come--YAY!!

Last edited by Julia B.; 05-29-2007 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: one paragraph was still out of order...don't ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas