Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,255 times

Advertisements

hey Captsmom

I had the same problem. I used Vitalchek.com

I paid $42 total, $17 for the certificate, $19 for UPS Air, and $6 to Vitalchek for hurrying the process.

I ordered it on a Monday, printed out a Notary Public form and took that to my bank to get it notarized, then the bank faxed it to the my County records dept (around 1PM). I received it on a Wednesday around 2PM.

My county site said it could take up to 8 weeks to receive it if I asked them directly and it would still cost $17 for the certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 PM

109 posts, read 501,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Things must have changed not to long ago. When I moved here, all I needed was my social security card and Arizona license. This was to get my Nevada license and my car registered. This was a little over 3 years ago when I first moved here.
Hmmm... I finally turned in my out of state license in February and all I had to fork over was the license itself and a ss card too....

Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,409,680 times
New driver license procedures: Local offices start new procedures for driver's licenses - News - ReviewJournal.com

(Note for Trivial Pursuit: newspaper spelled it wrong. There is no 's' on Driver License indicating possessive case)

Documents required:
Nevada Driver License Residency & Proof of Identity

If your name changed due to marriage that's why you have to show a marriage certificate (and also to make sure your husband approves of you getting a license. )

Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 PM

61 posts, read 195,154 times
Thanks to all of you for your comments -- I decided to order a new birth certificate online; although it states it will be 4-6 weeks!! But the cost is only $11. Who knows, I may need a certified copy of it sometime in future!!

As far as the waiting time at DMV, it was horrific, but I was warned and took a book with me to read. Everyone seemed relaxed and expected the wait, no one was upset, grumbling, pacing, etc.

Buzz -- where do you get all this info? First Friday map and now DMV info . . . you and olecapt are very helpful; now I do know where to go for help!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 AM

btw: lmbh and olecapt: the DMV I went to was the one Decatur and Elkhorn. I got there at 1:20 and it took me 40 minutes to just get through the Info line!!

Guess its just the luck of timing . . .

Old 07-26-2009, 01:23 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,409,680 times
I didn't even know there was one at Decatur and Elkhorn. I usually go to the one at W. Flamingo and S. Tomsik unless I can do whatever it is online. Or if I wait until the last minute I am amazed at the kiosks they have now for to do it yourself renewals.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM

901 posts, read 1,902,399 times
We recently moved here from CA and got our NV licenses and plates on Friday morning. We showed our passports in lieu of a birth certificate. In and out of the Henderson office in less than two hours - two cars and two DLs. Piece of cake compared to the CA DMV.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsMom View Post
btw: lmbh and olecapt: the DMV I went to was the one Decatur and Elkhorn. I got there at 1:20 and it took me 40 minutes to just get through the Info line!!

Guess its just the luck of timing . . .
Interesting. Done it twice and got through the info line in one minute or less.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 AM

One minute!!! Like i said it must just be a matter of timing. I stopped at the VIN station first; then into the info line. There were two stations open and one for the handicapped and the line barely moved. Like I said I got there at 1:20 and at 2:00 three more people at the stations showed up. They apparently had just come back from lunch?? Then the line really started to move and it was less than 10 minutes that I was sent into the large waiting room. My number was G406 and they were calling the 310 or somethng numbers. So I just relaxed and read my book . . . a bio of George Hamilton! Needless to say I read a lot of the book before 406 was called!

The really nice lady who helped me also told me that at 5:00 they closed the doors and whoever was in there would be waited on no matter how long it took. Earlier, at about 4:30, a gent showed up and called our attention to tell us just that: he said the door would close at 5:00 and if you needed to get anything out of your car or go out for a cigerette you'd better do it before 5:00 because the door would be closed behind you, even if you had a number.

Yeah, it was quite an experience . . .

Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM

176 posts, read 511,498 times
I did the exact same thing I could'nt belive they want a birth certificate and a marriage certificate. I dont know where my marriage certificate is and she told me I needed everything on the list no exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas