Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,914 times

Advertisements

i'm looking at desert shores or west sahara lake for a single family home. what are peoples experiences in these 2 areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 45,531 times
Default 89117

I've been renting an apt in 89117 for a few months now and I like the area. Close to everything, but not too close. Good shopping. According to the LVRJ's South Summerlin free paper, we get some crime, but I don't think it's violent in nature. All and all, I like the area.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Very similar areas. Note though that only a portion of 89128 is actually Desert Shores. There is also North Shore...which is similar but no lakes, and a piece of Summerlin plus some older and a little more down scale places.

Both of these communities have wide ranges of homes. There are places in each that are borderline but much is very nice.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Within the community, Desert Shores is all nice. North Shore is mostly nice too. There are few somewhat sketchy apartment complexes once you get a few blocks east, but the area is good overall. I would have no problem living there. And there are LOTS of shopping and conveniences really close by.

The Lakes is a pretty large region. Some parts are nice, other parts are a little bit older and dumpy looking (IMO). Nothing bad or unsafe though. The area is good overall. A decent number of conveniences nearby, but you'd probably have to drive into Summerlin Centre or the new southwest corner of town for much of your shopping (10 minutes or so).

I would probably choose Desert Shores.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
I think both area's are just fine. The best test is to come out to each and see what you like better.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 PM

24 posts, read 79,184 times
I lived at one of the apartment complexes in 89117 for 10 months and it may have just been that complex (terrible management and security), but there were cops with people in handcuffs leaning over the hood of their car at least once a week. My neighbor was a heavy drug dealer and the cops broke down his door and took him out in cuffs. There were also notices put on my door about once every couple weeks about another armed robbery occurring. I would have to say, though, you will see crime anywhere, it's really just part of living in a city, especially with the economic times really hitting LV pretty hard.

As far as the area goes, everything is accessible and in general both areas are pretty good, but I would say shoot for Desert Shores.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:26 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
My fiance and I lived in an apartment complex in 89117 for 6 months. We really loved the area, and the apartment complex was not too bad, only we had a problem with the air conditioner in our unit making a loud sound that the maintenance could not--or would not--fix (it was excessively annoying, like one of those low frequency, non-monotonous noises). The area was beautiful with lots of places to shop and dine at; we had no problem with crime, but it could have just been our location in the complex. The only other problem would be that it took some time to get anywhere outside of our immediate area (driving time to any freeway was kind of longer as opposed to where we live now, on the corner of 95 and 215; but then I think my fiance has a bigger problem with that than I do--I think that at least it's much more quieter when you're away from the freeways).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas