Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM

101 posts, read 219,357 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Wisconsin and while I'm strongly considering just moving north in my own state, I kinda have a love affair with Vegas. Something about it's garishness and "look-at-me" atmosphere attracts me. I was just there at the end of March 2009, so I know the job market is really bad. I am wondering if I was working at a fast-food place (if they even have fast-food jobs in this economy) or something similar, could I make it? I plan on going back to college and UNLV has exactly what I need. Plus, the 24 hour transit on CAT really interests me too since I don't have a car.

I can live on a pretty thin budget and I have no problem living in North Las Vegas or down Fremont as long as the crime isn't so bad that they'll steal my shoes as I'm waiting for the bus. Gunshots don't bother me as long as I can't see them.

If I was making minimum wage ($7.25 in July 2009) working 40 hours a week or so, could I find a place to rent for $500 or less? Sorry this post is so long, I'm just really trying to get real facts here so I can make an informed decision.

By the way, I figure I'll spend about $100/month on groceries and $100 on miscellaneous items and $100 on CAT pass. So If I can get a place for $500 average for the year (including my utility bills) I could probably just get by and maybe even save a few bucks along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
you can rent a room for that..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
I currently live in Wisconsin and while I'm strongly considering just moving north in my own state, I kinda have a love affair with Vegas. Something about it's garishness and "look-at-me" atmosphere attracts me. I was just there at the end of March 2009, so I know the job market is really bad. I am wondering if I was working at a fast-food place (if they even have fast-food jobs in this economy) or something similar, could I make it? I plan on going back to college and UNLV has exactly what I need. Plus, the 24 hour transit on CAT really interests me too since I don't have a car.

I can live on a pretty thin budget and I have no problem living in North Las Vegas or down Fremont as long as the crime isn't so bad that they'll steal my shoes as I'm waiting for the bus. Gunshots don't bother me as long as I can't see them.

If I was making minimum wage ($7.25 in July 2009) working 40 hours a week or so, could I find a place to rent for $500 or less? Sorry this post is so long, I'm just really trying to get real facts here so I can make an informed decision.

By the way, I figure I'll spend about $100/month on groceries and $100 on miscellaneous items and $100 on CAT pass. So If I can get a place for $500 average for the year (including my utility bills) I could probably just get by and maybe even save a few bucks along the way.
From my experience in fast food here for the last 1.5 years, I can tell you right now the only people that got 40 hours a week were the people who were working 2 or 3 jobs...Most employees were only getting about 15-20 because of how slow business was...

Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Quote:

I can live on a pretty thin budget and I have no problem living in North Las Vegas or down Fremont as long as the crime isn't so bad that they'll steal my shoes as I'm waiting for the bus. Gunshots don't bother me as long as I can't see them. If I was making minimum wage ($7.25 in July 2009) working 40 hours a week or so, could I find a place to rent for $500 or less? Sorry this post is so long, I'm just really trying to get real facts here so I can make an informed decision.

BTW; North Las Vegas is a great city to live, north of Las Vegas is where it gets rough. It will be a long commute(30-45mins) for you to travel to UNLV from North Las Vegas.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 PM

101 posts, read 219,357 times
Thanks for the good info. I'll keep looking for more posts.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM

160 posts, read 715,564 times
Wow you can do $100 a month in groceries? You must be planning to eat ramen or eat at your job... The only apartments for 500$ a month that aren't one helluva bus ride are quite unflattering (your shoes will be stolen). Your best bet would be to find someone renting a room, but that would usually be 500$ + some. If you can't wait to leave Wisconsin, make sure you're covered. If you worked nights and loaded up on student loans... eh.. lol. good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 PM

160 posts, read 715,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
BTW; North Las Vegas is a great city to live, north of Las Vegas is where it gets rough. It will be a long commute(30-45mins) for you to travel to UNLV from North Las Vegas.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with NLV except everything northeast of the corner of Cheyenne and MLK.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
In a word, no.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:

In a word, yes you can make it. I make just over that and have done it for 2 and a half years now including a car and insurance. You also can always get 2 jobs if needed. I have noticed rooms on craigslist have gone down. Here is a few starting at only $225 a month, and they all include utilities....

$ 100 deposit.,No credit, utilities included. (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/roo/1235026424.html - broken link)

DORM-STYLE HOUSING FOR STUDENTS (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/roo/1234336350.html - broken link)

one room near UNLV and LAS (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/roo/1234184064.html - broken link)

Room For Rent (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/roo/1234153495.html - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
It wouldn't be easy, but there are literally thousands of fast food workers in Las Vegas, and I gotta believe that some of them live alone. BTW: Did you know that as a crew member you might be making more in the neighborhood of $9.00 an hour, and that managing fast food restaurants generally pays from $30,000 to $65,000 a year? It's not as bad a job as some people think, and it's hard work. Only at some restaurants you may not get to work full time, so don't limit your work search to one chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas