Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,760 times

Advertisements

I know palm trees grow but what else?
Anything edible is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times
Check with Moonlight Nursery.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
Check Star Nursery also.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Anything edible is good
Go to any local garden shop and buy the most recent Nevada Gardener's Guide, by Lynn Mills (Southern Nevada, works at Springs Preserves, writes gardening column for the RJ) and Dick Post (Northern Nevada). If you run into Lynn at the Springs he'll probably sign it for you.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,435 times
I'd help, but I am busy this weekend? Maybe Next Thursday?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Anything edible is good
You are probably too late to grow any vegetables until the second growing season starting in August, but you could plant fruit trees for next season fruit. I have two foot high peach tree that is loaded with peaches, and I put two tomato plants in a pot on the patio, and have a ton of green tomatoes now.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times
I've also seen that upside down tomato planter at the store.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,714 times
I've been attempting to do vegetable gardening for about two years now and I'm no green thumb but it definitely seems difficult, but not impossible.

The extreme temperatures are hard on most plants. Many vegetables won't pollinate when it is above 90 degrees which leaves a very small window of time between the last frost (which I believe is officially early March) and when it starts getting above 90 degrees during the day (which usually happens around early May). You really have to be aggressive about getting vegetables in the garden as soon as possible in the season to let them get established.

Star Nursery has some information on good varieties of vegetables to plant for Las Vegas at Star Nursery (http://www.starnursery.com/note.php?id=13 - broken link) and Star Nursery (http://www.starnursery.com/note.php?id=12 - broken link)

I've had my best luck using EarthBoxes. They aren't cheap, but they work well.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Ideally we should plant in early February in Las Vegas. I don't remember ever doing a second planting, but it's sometime in August. Most books I've seen about desert gardening are about the Sonora Desert...Arizona...which is different from the Mojave Desert. I'm sure there are other gardening books about our area, but the Nevada Gardener's Guide is the only one I know of. Plus there are regular columns by local master gardeners like Lynn Mills in the Review Journal. I've cut a lot of those out for reference over the years, but have still never been very lucky with gardens. Like a true West Virginia mountaineer, I mostly grow a few tomatoes now. We'll be doin' up some green fried termaters here purdy soon. Squash grows pretty well here too. I've never been able to get corn to grow but I know people who grow corn and green beans and do well. I've had a few peppers and carrots in the past too.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

You can get a lot of free advice at the Springs Preserve,
Springs Preserve Experts Directory (http://www.springspreserve.org/html/gardens_experts.html - broken link)

and also the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Service.
What is University of Nevada Cooperative Extension?

The USDA is a good source too. USDA Rural Development in Nevada--Las Vegas Area Office (http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/nv/offices/vegas.htm - broken link)

They helped me get rid of critters in the pantry one time. Did you know your flour products probably have critters that will spread in the pantry, and you can get rid of them by putting your flour in the freezer for a few days (or maybe weeks, I forget), or you can heat it in the oven on the lowest setting for a few hours. Since it doesn't take as long I use the oven method, but my default temp seems to be 250º, so I lower it to about 175º.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas