Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

So, my lease is up and I either have to sign a new one or pay month to month at the end of this month. Im pretty bad at planning things and just decided I want to find a cheaper place to live as Ive seen signs around town for 2 bedrooms that are going for around $200 less than what I am paying now for my 1 bedroom. I know I am going to have to pay a month of an increased rate since I am not on my lease anymore. This is pretty standard. This happened to me 6 months ago and I paid the increased rate for a month and then renewed costing myself a couple hundred dollars (which is already a lot higher than most places that do the same thing).

Anyways I go into the office today and tell them I want to put my 30 days in. She asked where I was going to and I said I wasn't sure but I need to cut expenses. She said I would have to pay next month at the month to month rate and I said yes I'm aware. then she tells me that the month to month rate is $2000!!!!!. I immediately blurted out, "I am not paying that, no way". She tried to say that is what came up on the computer and she has no control. I told her I am not paying that, who do I talk to? She said the manager is out until later today. I didn't sign the 30 days notice bc I wasn't agreeing to anything at that moment and then I left.

My neighbor just went through the same thing kinda, but they were going to make his month to month at 1400 for a 2 bedroom. And my friend's brother lives in a different complex down the street under the same company and they quoted him $1600 for a 2 bedroom that has an attached garage for month to month ( his rent is normally like 1200).

So they are trying to force me into signing a lease by raising my rent almost 1100 per month if I don't renew a lease immediately. I mean, I don't even know what my options are at this point. They are trying to take advantage of me and I'm pissed off.

Complex is Camden Fairways

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM

113 posts, read 389,331 times
Don't pay it. You'll be gone soon anyway. If they try to litigate (highly unlikely), tell the court your side of the story.

Don't sweat it.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,880,598 times
Before you do or don't do anything, get the quoted month to month in writing if you haven't.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 PM

30 posts, read 100,835 times
they have been doing that for years. I lived in a Camden owned apartment from 2001-2003 and at the end of every lease they sent me a renewal letter and seperate letter with the month to month rates.

Yes, they want people to just renew because that locks them in for another 12 months of money. They are not extorting you though. They can charge however much they want for an apartment. You knew your lease was coming up (or should have known) and failed to take action about moving into a cheaper place.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 AM

322 posts, read 1,274,478 times
Hi neighbor. I am in Camden too. I like it....

Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 AM

444 posts, read 1,620,832 times
Either it was a mistake or that's how they get non-planners to re-up for a year. Call around quick and check other's rates. All rates may be going up as vacancies at apartment complexes are going down due to those foreclosed needing housing. Its possible they need you less than you need them.

You admit you are a bad planner. Learn your lesson, make a quick decision, move on and learn your lesson. Ooops I repeated myself. Dad's do that you know. Seriously, Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,378,299 times
That is the number one thing I hated about renting. The automatic rate hike each time my lease was up. Now i pay less than rent all the time.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,101,971 times
If you sign a lease does your monthly rent stay the same or increase & how much ?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
If you sign a lease does your monthly rent stay the same or increase & how much ?
stays the same when it usually goes up

rent isnt going up because of the housing market like someone else mentioned. There are too many apartments also

Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,117,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindingitout View Post
stays the same when it usually goes up

rent isnt going up because of the housing market like someone else mentioned. There are too many apartments also
actually with the increase in foreclosures, the vacancies at apartments and rentals are going down... you may think that the rent $ is going down, but there is risk of your rental house going into foreclosure.. think about it, you are losing your house to foreclosure and it is rented, you will take whatever you can get before the bank gets it.. and of course, the tenants won't know until its too late...
so if my house is $1200 a month, and no chance of foreclosure, and the house down the street is $900 but is in the stages of foreclosure, which one will you take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas