Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 AM

12 posts, read 54,642 times

Advertisements

hi all
i curently live in scottsdale AZ and going to move to vegas in next couple of weeks/months.
my mom got job near tropicana ave and pecos RD. How is that area? good or bad?
Is it good thing to look also for apartment- rent in the same area? (i think area is called winchester paradise).

If not,can someone tell me what are the best/safest areas in LV to live?

Probably we are going to rent apartment in firs couple of years so i dont care about home prices etc...
only safety and no crime (if its possible) !
thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
It's not the greatest area, but there are far worse places to live. Most of the apartments are low-rent, and it shows. There's also a large hispanic population in the area (I'm not going to say "illegal" because I can't confirm that, but draw your own conclusions...), if that matters to you.

My MIL lives off Trop and Eastern, and her subdivision is OK, and I used to live in Century Village off Trop and Spencer which was OK for a cheap bachelor pad back in the mid 90's. I can't say that the neighborhood is the same today though.

Bob

Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 AM

12 posts, read 54,642 times
hey bob thanx for quick response!

what about tropicana ave and Rainbow Blvd ? Is it better ? Area is between Spring valley and south summerlin.

I found nice apartment there but im not sure about area!

thx

Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Moderate income older neighborhoods to the east. Nice. Not as low in crime as the ritzy suburbs but not terrible either.

There is a condo development at Hacienda and Mcleod. Paradise Villas. I don't know it but the Kid may.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario77 View Post
hey bob thanx for quick response!

what about tropicana ave and Rainbow Blvd ? Is it better ? Area is between Spring valley and south summerlin.

I found nice apartment there but im not sure about area!

thx
Yes. Better. The area is great...the apartments and condos a little less so.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
Pecos Villas is not very pretty from the looks of it, I go by it every day. If the grass was given water and the buildings were repainted the place would look good as new, because it has huge parks and large buildings for a condo complex. Pecos and Tropicana is a really nice area, other than the thing with the apartments, there are many nice homes in the area. There are really nice housing neighborhoods, but not so nice apartment complexes. Camden Palisades, however, is a really nice complex, used to know people that lived there and they loved it. It is also very convenient to shopping and you will find that many medical offices are located in the area. There is also the pinball museum and some very nice condos and homes off of Pecos between Tropicana and Flamingo. It is personally my favorite area in the city. Also many shady trees. And Bob, are you saying that an area with a large hispanic population is a bad area?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's not the greatest area, but there are far worse places to live. Most of the apartments are low-rent, and it shows. There's also a large hispanic population in the area (I'm not going to say "illegal" because I can't confirm that, but draw your own conclusions...), if that matters to you.

My MIL lives off Trop and Eastern, and her subdivision is OK, and I used to live in Century Village off Trop and Spencer which was OK for a cheap bachelor pad back in the mid 90's. I can't say that the neighborhood is the same today though.

Bob
Have you not heard of Royal Crest Rancheros at Harmon and Spencer, very nice neighborhood with huge one stories on huge lots, I was in the area a couple weeks ago, it still seems nice. I hope something nice gets put in at Eastern and Tropicana since the Circuit City left for the Boulevard Mall and the PetsMart left to go south to Russell. The Food4Less/Raley's/Albertsons will also hopefully get filled up soon. There's enough shopping, its just that they relocated to be in newer or remodeled buildings...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Pecos Villas is not very pretty from the looks of it, I go by it every day. If the grass was given water and the buildings were repainted the place would look good as new, because it has huge parks and large buildings for a condo complex. Pecos and Tropicana is a really nice area, other than the thing with the apartments, there are many nice homes in the area. There are really nice housing neighborhoods, but not so nice apartment complexes. Camden Palisades, however, is a really nice complex, used to know people that lived there and they loved it. It is also very convenient to shopping and you will find that many medical offices are located in the area. There is also the pinball museum and some very nice condos and homes off of Pecos between Tropicana and Flamingo. It is personally my favorite area in the city. Also many shady trees. And Bob, are you saying that an area with a large hispanic population is a bad area?
I'm sorry I was confusing Pecos Villas with Tropicana Villas. Where are the Pecos Villas located?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Have you not heard of Royal Crest Rancheros at Harmon and Spencer, very nice neighborhood with huge one stories on huge lots, I was in the area a couple weeks ago, it still seems nice.
My MIL lives in Royal Crest Rancheros, so I know the area well. That subdivision itself is OK if you're looking for an older home on a big lot, but there's more to life than that. The schools in the area suck, the nearest shopping is full of derelicts (try visiting the Walmart down the road on Trop sometime- there's plenty of snaggle-toothed chicks with beer bellies there...lol), and the surrounding neighborhoods aren't too great. The area heading toward UNLV on Harmon is pretty seedy, especially the apartments down that way.

Bob

Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM

In general, (I'm not talking about that area in particular in this reply) its Las Vegas, most schools suck, a student will get about as much out of school as they put in it, and parental involvement as well. The Target on Stephanie is any better?, the police is there like every other day because of shoplifting, a shooting, or something else. Apartments anywhere can be seedy.

Is your MIL happy there? Isn't that what matters the most? I am just saying that the area is nice because it has most of the major chains, instead of some areas like the far northwest or southwest, with so much stuff built up in the area, there will be problems. It is convenient to the Strip and downtown and it is convenient to 2 major malls and also the soon-to-be-open Town Square. The Marnell Companies (retail builder) says that the area has the right demographics for big high-end development. They said its a very stable, middle-income area. Again, apartment complexes do bring areas down, especially with crime and that is a big problem everywhere. The area does have high income demographics and just in case you wanted to know is 70% non-hispanic.

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 03-27-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: