Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMomof3 View Post
. . . it's a personal opinion . . .
Bingo!

Not saying that Vegas in the peak of summer is easy. It's hell. But it's my kind of hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLudi View Post
Hey, we're moving to LV in the coming months. We just put an offer in on a property and hopefully we'll get it. If not then we'll try another one. Anyway, I was wondering if there was anyplace around the area to escape from the summer heat. Any sort of mountainous area where they have cabins to buy just as a summer retreat. I know about Mt. Charleston but haven't seen much up there for sale. Is there anywhere else I might look?

Thanks,
Joe in WV

P.S. I know, I haven't even moved there yet and I'm already complaining about the heat!
Hi Joe in WV. Where in WV are you from? I'm originally from Clarksburg and get back there every year or two. As far as cabin's at Mt. Charleston, it isn't anything at all like what you're used to. You won't find any small, cheap cabins in the woods, if that's what you're looking for. If you can afford to pay 100s of thousands of dollars for a weekend getaway, then you'll find homes for sale up there. Property at Mt. Charleston is at a premium because land and housing up there is so limited and restricted. As olecapt said, most people here in southern Nevada head up to Utah for their getaway homes since some really nice, cool, mountain retreat areas aren't that far away. I believe you can still buy affordable mountain property up there. Check out the Duck Creek area, or even the Brain Head area. One friend of ours has a condo at Brain Head that is rented out by the night most of the time, but he can use it anytime he wants. I've used it a few times for just a small cleaning fee. But for all we know you might be a buzzillionaire like Milan Puskar or Jay Rockefeller. Or you might even be THE Joe Manchin, III. If so we'll get you a deal at Mt. Charleston and you can have us all up for WV hot dogs ─ chili and onions ─ no coleslaw.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
I've been to all kinds of "heat" places. I can't stand the humid type of heat, my sinuses run amok and I suffer from sinus headaches in that type of climate.

The dry, baking heat. Dries my sinuses up, it bakes my damp bones dry...

It just feels so good. I'm a sun/heat worshipper by the way

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
But for all we know you might be a buzzillionaire like Milan Puskar or Jay Rockefeller. Or you might even be THE Joe Manchin, III.
Or Lex...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 PM

471 posts, read 625,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Or Lex...

OR not.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post
OR not.

Oh, dang.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM

471 posts, read 625,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Oh, dang.

lol

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM

108 posts, read 306,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But for all we know you might be a buzzillionaire like Milan Puskar or Jay Rockefeller. Or you might even be THE Joe Manchin, III. If so we'll get you a deal at Mt. Charleston and you can have us all up for WV hot dogs ─ chili and onions ─ no coleslaw.
No, I'm none of the above, I took your advice about the Duck Creek area and I did see some lots that looked interesting and affordable. Mt. Charleston is a little out of my price range. We're in Grafton WV right now, practically next door to Clarksburg. We're originally from SoCal but I've lived in WA, WI, and WV now. I've found that I like the dryer heat out in the west. Even though it doesn't usually get above 95 F out here in Grafton.

NO slaw on your hot dogs? How 'bout a ramp dinner instead?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLudi View Post
No, I'm none of the above, I took your advice about the Duck Creek area and I did see some lots that looked interesting and affordable. Mt. Charleston is a little out of my price range. We're in Grafton WV right now, practically next door to Clarksburg. We're originally from SoCal but I've lived in WA, WI, and WV now. I've found that I like the dryer heat out in the west. Even though it doesn't usually get above 95 F out here in Grafton.

NO slaw on your hot dogs? How 'bout a ramp dinner instead?
The window of opportunity for my stomach to handle a ramp dinner has closed, and I never got any when I was growing up there. My mom kept me away from them with threats of making me sleep in the shed out back. And it's mostly only them southern WV hillbillies ruin a good hot dog with slaw. I say that these people have never been to Clarksburg and had a good hot dog: W.Va. Slaw Mapping Project

If you ever get a chance try this place for hot dogs, W.Va. Hot Dog Joint Review

or see my buddy Pete at D & P in Edgewood. The author must have been there on a day Pete was in a foul mood... Oh, that's everyday, ain't it?W.Va. Hot Dog Joint Review

Joe, since you know the difference between humidity and dry heat I won't go into it, but I know I would never live east of the Rockies now that I've seen Pareeee...I mean the west.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 306,271 times
To tell ya the truth here Buzz, I kinda like the slaw. I prefer chili and onions, or chili and cheese or even kraut, but the slaw isn't bad.

I haven't had the guts to actually try ramps, but I've smelt'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas