Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikegirl View Post
Well, it's been 3 months since I followed my husband to LV and I thought I would post some observations. As a prelude, my husband had lived here for a year, told me enough things about LV to have me worried, and I moved here sight unseen from a small town.

Jobs / Yes, jobs are hard to get here. With 15 years of experience I went to job fairs, posted my resume all over the web, signed up with head hunters, and mailed countless resume's. I got 3 interviews and am happy to say that my temp-to-hire position went permanent last week!

Trash Pick-up / Is twice a week, rain or shine, holiday or no, even on Christmas.

Personal Space / If you are used to personal space, the lack of personal space when you are trying to pay for your groceries might take some getting used to.

Grumpy People / There are a number of people here who are grumpy and dissatisfied with life and will let you know about it.

Pleasant People / I have been wonderfully surprised by the number of strangers who will say hi or strike up a conversation.

Safety / While I have been warned to avoid certain areas at night (NE), I have not felt unsafe in my NW neighborhood. Although Metro flying over at 10 PM most nights can take some getting used to.

Turnabouts and U-Turns / I am happy to say that I have finally mastered the driving challenge known as the turnabout! Where I'm from people are stared at when they make a U-Turn. U-Turns are a way of life here. I've made more U-Turns in 3 months than I have in my entire life.

In conclusion, I have adapted to life in LV quite well I believe. As with any other city it has its good and bad and it is up to the person to decide which one wins out. For me, I am enjoying the diversity of choices here. There is always something new for my family to experience. And every night when I drive home on the 215, as I round the corner from Lone Mountain and the valley lights below come into view, the beauty of it always strikes me, and I smile with a wonderful sense of peace.
ONE HUGE REP FOR YA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,667,429 times
Not a resident of LV, as a visitor I'm always impressed with the high level of customer service. You are friendly and helpful a could teach workers in Sedona AZ a thing or two. Most of the work staff in Sedona would rather be gazing into a crystal ball than taking a meal order.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,534,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
In my experiences with Vegas thus far, I think the one thing that took the most getting used to was the pleasantries of everyone, especially in stores, markets, etc. On one of my recent trips out, my friends were astonished how people in the food markets were always saying hello, asking if you needed help, etc... coming from the East coast, this definitely took some getting used to, but was pleasant nonetheless.
Davey...the lack of it is a Long Island thing, not an east coast thing. When I moved off LI and upstate, I also noticed that same thing...when people make eye contact...they acknowledge your presence in some friendly manner...complete strangers saying hello! What a concept...I loved it and embraced it! The problem is, when I would visit my dad and friends on LI, I forgot that they just don't do it there. I would remember very quickly that I was on LI again, because when I would make the mistake of saying hello to someone I made eye contact with at the supermarket, they would look at you like I had 5 heads! You can just hear their internal voices saying..."Why the *&^% are you saying hello to me???...do I know YOU???"

Another thing I noticed very quickly when moving off LI, was the almost total lack of car horn use in an agressive manner. Not sure if you'll find that on The Strip, though.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:32 PM

572 posts, read 1,686,617 times
JFK, I do stand corrected. You are pretty much right, as I do remember any experience I had upstate to be somewhat favorable.. I think with LI being so close to NYC, the mentality just kind of seeps outwards towards the suburbs..

I know for sure after coming back here from Vegas, I still have that pleasant mentality in my head.. usually that ends by the time I make it to the baggage claim, if not by the time I leave the aiport, as I'm quickly reminded as to where I am... LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Davey...the lack of it is a Long Island thing, not an east coast thing. When I moved off LI and upstate, I also noticed that same thing...when people make eye contact...they acknowledge your presence in some friendly manner...complete strangers saying hello! What a concept...I loved it and embraced it! The problem is, when I would visit my dad and friends on LI, I forgot that they just don't do it there. I would remember very quickly that I was on LI again, because when I would make the mistake of saying hello to someone I made eye contact with at the supermarket, they would look at you like I had 5 heads! You can just hear their internal voices saying..."Why the *&^% are you saying hello to me???...do I know YOU???"

Another thing I noticed very quickly when moving off LI, was the almost total lack of car horn use in an agressive manner. Not sure if you'll find that on The Strip, though.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM

52 posts, read 200,508 times
My situation was VERY similar to yours and I couldn't agree more! Glad you love it here! We are in northwest neighborhoods as well and I agree, it's very pleasant! My husband makes the same drive home from work every night and having made that drive taking him to work a few times when the situation required it - I was also very struck by the gorgeous scenery.

I found the contrast of scenery between the vast desert and mountain scape on one side of 215 and the city lights on the other side to be really incredible right there by Lone Mountain.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:30 PM

23 posts, read 163,425 times
Sorry for the delay, but I did want to answer the few questions that were asked.

1) DaveyJones978 / I'm an Accountant so I went through AccounTemps/Robert Half and Accountants, Inc. Although the jobs both sent me on were not accounting related, they just wanted someone detail oriented, so you may try them even if you're not an Accountant. I did get the feeling though that in this economy a lot of employers are not wanting to pay the finders fee.

2) Daddys///M3 / Yes, I do live in your area! Did the heli wake you up the other night at 3:00AM??? I swear the thing sounded like it was 50 foot off my house!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM

844 posts, read 2,104,937 times
Excellent input, dirtbikegirl!

I will have to figure out how to keep people out of my personal space, though. Perhaps if I grab their crotch?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM

23 posts, read 163,425 times
LOL! I just look at them and then pretend they are trying to steal my PIN number. I practically hug the PIN pad while entering my PIN.

As a public courtesy, here is a notice to those of you who may not realize you are invading someone's personal space.
1) If your cart is touching my behind, you need to back it up.
2) If your purse is touching my purse, you are far too close and I will act as though you are trying to steal it.
3) If I can smell the pizza you had for lunch, you REALLY need to step back. Please.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM

37 posts, read 101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikegirl View Post
lol! I just look at them and then pretend they are trying to steal my pin number. I practically hug the pin pad while entering my pin.

As a public courtesy, here is a notice to those of you who may not realize you are invading someone's personal space.
1) if your cart is touching my behind, you need to back it up.
2) if your purse is touching my purse, you are far too close and i will act as though you are trying to steal it.
3) if i can smell the pizza you had for lunch, you really need to step back. Please.
exactly!!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,961,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Excellent post!! +1 for you! Glad everything has worked out well in your new home!

In my experiences with Vegas thus far, I think the one thing that took the most getting used to was the pleasantries of everyone, especially in stores, markets, etc. On one of my recent trips out, my friends were astonished how people in the food markets were always saying hello, asking if you needed help, etc... coming from the East coast, this definitely took some getting used to, but was pleasant nonetheless.

This is BINGO! right on the spot!! I noticed this right away! Even at the gas stations! Didn't matter that they were waiting on someone or not. I must have looked like an idiot when it happened the first couple times as I looked behind me to see who the cashier was talking to! I talk about this all the time here in MI. I noticed the difference the further east we drove. You could definitely tell when we pulled into a place in MO. Nasty grouchy old curmudgeons!!! I wanted to turn right around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yeah...and everytime I see what Lexusman199 writes, I can't help but think he is Ron Jeremy, Jr
OMG!!! I just laughed so loud when I read this, my kids thought I was nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI View Post
I found the contrast of scenery between the vast desert and mountain scape on one side of 215 and the city lights on the other side to be really incredible right there by Lone Mountain.

Most definitely, breathtaking and like dirtbikegirl said--a sense of peace. I loved how the sun came up over the mountains as I was driving my daughter to school. I don't think I could ever tire of it. Maybe being raised there it is just taken for granted. Being in flat ole MI, I can't get enough of any rocky terrain, much less mountains. (although, I will give MI the Great Lakes, those are awesome too)

I will be there Thurs for a couple days! Can't wait. Wish I could just wiggle my nose and be there. I hate the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: