Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 AM

90 posts, read 317,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Some seem to be upset about kids playing in the parks. The parks in my area are small and surrounded by the homes here. Plus kids and parents are in the parks, plus roving security. They aren't some remote park somewhere with nobody there. For what it's worth, I think there are too many people in the parks here..especially the warmer it gets. You should check out the one big park here, Nature Discovery Park once it starts getting warm. You'd think it was Disneyland since a million kids descend on it. It has a great kid area, along with a bouncy floor. It's also fun for adults to walk on it. Also a dino dig area, and a water play area. The waterfall and pond area with lots of ducks to feed or just watch.
For the adults, a horseshoe pit, bocce ball, tennis, BBQ's plus much more. Plus the Farmers market each friday.
As for kids in the street, I personally don't think they should play there when there are sidewalks and yards they could be on and in. As long as they aren't screaming and making constant noise in front of my place, I don't care what they do.
Pink, I do agree that there are lots of nice parks to play in, but where are kids supposed to ride their bikes and skates and such? You aren't supposed to ride those on sidewalks because of pedestrians (you should see the evil looks kids get from the dog walkers and exercisers if they are riding bikes on the sidewalks). Also, in many parks I've been to, there are signs that prohibit bike riding or skateboards there too. No way would I let my 10 year old go hang out at a skate park with all the teens who are often doing and saying things I wouldn't want my 10 year old doing or saying. Older, rougher kids tend to congregate at skate parks. All I was saying is that there is a reason kids play in the street in front of their houses. Through streets are too dangerous, but on a cul de sac or quiet neighborhood road, that is the perfect place for them to ride bikes as long as they stay out of people's yards and respect private property. Vegas does have fantastic parks, though and I look forward to visiting them with my kids when we get there! We loved the water features when we were there before.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:40 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
Pink, I do agree that there are lots of nice parks to play in, but where are kids supposed to ride their bikes and skates and such? You aren't supposed to ride those on sidewalks because of pedestrians (you should see the evil looks kids get from the dog walkers and exercisers if they are riding bikes on the sidewalks). Also, in many parks I've been to, there are signs that prohibit bike riding or skateboards there too. No way would I let my 10 year old go hang out at a skate park with all the teens who are often doing and saying things I wouldn't want my 10 year old doing or saying. Older, rougher kids tend to congregate at skate parks. All I was saying is that there is a reason kids play in the street in front of their houses. Through streets are too dangerous, but on a cul de sac or quiet neighborhood road, that is the perfect place for them to ride bikes as long as they stay out of people's yards and respect private property. Vegas does have fantastic parks, though and I look forward to visiting them with my kids when we get there! We loved the water features when we were there before.

The skate park in Anthem is nice. They have a rink too. I agree that, especially later, the kids can be punky. But, for the most part, the couple times we went there, most were respectful and well behaved. They can ride their bikes or skateboards in there and they all got along. They have a toddler play set and picnic tables with grills. Very nice place. Great views too.

Good luck on the move!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I see I forgot to mention the 24 miles of interconnecting trails here. Other newer communities have them too.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,090 times
Ok, I have a question to pose. How would everyone feel about children, 6 or 7 of them, who all live in the house directly across the street from you, on a residential street. Now, these kids, ranging from 3 years old to 10 years old, are unsupervised, screaming at the top of their lungs, usually kicking around a soccer ball which they have hit my garage door with [making such a loud bang you damn near jump out of your skin] as well as my and my wife's cars in the driveway [leaving small dents all over] dozens and dozens of times. They don't move when vehicles come down the street [ to be honest, they do move but only enough for a vehicle to pass between them, right in the center of the street]. They are out there yelling and screaming sometimes til well after midnight [even the littlest ones] all the while without an adult in sight. I swear to God they sound like a bunch of freaking animals. Would you consider that a problem, or am I just being an "old fuddy duddy"?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm67ny View Post
Ok, I have a question to pose. How would everyone feel about children, 6 or 7 of them, who all live in the house directly across the street from you, on a residential street. Now, these kids, ranging from 3 years old to 10 years old, are unsupervised, screaming at the top of their lungs, usually kicking around a soccer ball which they have hit my garage door with [making such a loud bang you damn near jump out of your skin] as well as my and my wife's cars in the driveway [leaving small dents all over] dozens and dozens of times. They don't move when vehicles come down the street [ to be honest, they do move but only enough for a vehicle to pass between them, right in the center of the street]. They are out there yelling and screaming sometimes til well after midnight [even the littlest ones] all the while without an adult in sight. I swear to God they sound like a bunch of freaking animals. Would you consider that a problem, or am I just being an "old fuddy duddy"?
You wont be considered an old fuddy buddy if you would just go talk to some of the kid's guardians. Let them know whats going on.

This sounds EXACTLY like my street. The only difference is that there are about 10 kids, they play soft ball and the range is from 5-14 years old. I know 99% of them. Since my daughter is pretty popular and my wife provides the kids with Popsicles they all tend to migrate in from of my house or the cul de sac across the street.

Since other people kids are in front of my home, I fell that I need to at least know where the kids live and have met their guardian just in case their kid gets hurt. Need to know who to report to. When they don't like to move out the way of incoming cars, I know exactly where to go to get them to move. They know this and all they may need is ONE reminder. Thats it.

Now that that is out the way...Before moving in the neighborhood, seeing kids outside playing was one of the deciding factor for purchasing the home. The last home we lived in was a ghost town outside. My daughter maybe had one other child every 2 weeks to play with. I used to hate seeing my daughter outside doing figure 8s in front of the house on her new bike by herself. We even knocked on a couple of the neighbor's doors just to learn that the child left the state, home foreclosed or parents would not let them play outside. Now my daughter has more friends than she knows what to do with.

The homes of our old neighborhood had 2-3 bedrooms houses. Our current neighborhood has 4-6 bedroom houses. You think what type/size family buys a home this big? You gotta expect some type of kids/teens activity.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Sounds like they are from Long Island...where street sports such as that is accepted. Their guardians need to teach them: new area = new rules. Kids don't readily realize that when they are uprooted. Sadly...some adults don't either.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
...Before moving in the neighborhood, seeing kids outside playing was one of the deciding factor for purchasing the home. The last home we lived in was a ghost town outside.
Yeah, I wanted to see kids playing in the street before buying too (and I don't have kids (yet)). A little life in the neighborhood is nice. My neighborhood is mostly young families right now - maybe my tune will change when the cute young kids turn into teenagers, but we'll see...

At the moment, the only issue is that when I'm walking my dog, sometimes I get swarmed by a half dozen kids begging to pet the dog. One girl even offered $1050 (her entire life savings - not bad for an 8yr old) to buy him.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Yeah, I wanted to see kids playing in the street before buying too (and I don't have kids (yet)). A little life in the neighborhood is nice. My neighborhood is mostly young families right now - maybe my tune will change when the cute young kids turn into teenagers, but we'll see...

At the moment, the only issue is that when I'm walking my dog, sometimes I get swarmed by a half dozen kids begging to pet the dog. One girl even offered $1050 (her entire life savings - not bad for an 8yr old) to buy him.
Nice neighborhood no doubt. I don't think I even had $100 at 8.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Nice neighborhood no doubt. I don't think I even had $100 at 8.
She won it playing Roulette. Either that, or she's playing Chicken Ranch with some of the boys in her class.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,111 times
I suggest people's kids should go play in the street all the time! "Go play in the street kid."

I have zero kids myself, but I don't mind slowing down or driving around kids in the street (i always keep it under 10mph anyway). BUT there is one mama bear who has sprayed cars with her hose and puts a cone in the middle of the street (gated community with over 200 homes). This woman is out of line and I intend to drive over her 3 foot cone and am unsure how I would react if she came at me with a hose. I will let this thread know how that goes if it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas