Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Pink, I'm going to take 2 guesses here as to why they don't go the parks:

1) Their parents are fearful of their child getting abducted or hurt, and them not being right there to prevent it from happening.

2) The kids are your typical kids who feel the park is too far away in case they want a drink, get snacks, or to lug equipment. Mind you, even if the park is 1 block over...they feel it further than the house and hence, the street becomes their playground.

My parents used to order us to go play in the parks...and sure I would get hurt and limp home sometimes...once I was even threatened by a bigger bully with a knife...but somehow we all survived. I never wore a bike helmet and put over 1400 miles (odometer) on my 3-speed. It's just a different time and generation. No wonder childhood obesity is at a high.
The park outside the community is just across the street. Next to the elementary school. The one inside the community is right next to the pool. The pool gets used all the time from april to october. The park never does until BBQ season.
I think reverse psychology could work with the kids. If the kids are forced to do something, they will resist. In fact, even at my age, if someone insists i do something i don't want to do, I resist. So if the parents started saying "Don't go to the park! Stay right here." They will end up at the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
i blame cul-de-sacs and neighborhoods with strange street layouts, have you ever noticed that most streets that are perpendicular on a grid, not curvy, and have outlets to other streets, don't have as much of a problem as other neighborhoods with kids playing on the streets, the only problem with that is you may have more traffic on your street, as it is being used to bypass the main streets, again, its the compromise for getting streets without children playing on them...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I said they were brats and IMO they are. Sadly, through no fault of their own, they are raised in condos and apartments by parents who had no business having kids in the first place and because of the complete lack of discipline and parenting, they turn out like brats. I feel justified calling them so.
Wow. That is a little harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there are some parents that are irresponsible for sure. There are also many parents who are thankful to have a roof over their heads and condos and apts may be the only way they can go to do that. Not the best case scenario, but most definitely not the worst.

I am sure that I was considered a "brat" once or twice in my day and I have considered my children bratty sometimes too. Then again, there are many adults I would consider "brats".

I just don't see a big deal with them playing in the street as long as they are considerate of the drivers. The ones that aren't are a problem, but as adults, we deal with it, because well, we're the adults.

I am sure glad my parents decided I was important enough to keep me and my siblings. I am most certain it was not easy.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The park outside the community is just across the street. Next to the elementary school. The one inside the community is right next to the pool. The pool gets used all the time from april to october. The park never does until BBQ season.
I think reverse psychology could work with the kids. If the kids are forced to do something, they will resist. In fact, even at my age, if someone insists i do something i don't want to do, I resist. So if the parents started saying "Don't go to the park! Stay right here." They will end up at the park.

I agree. Couldn't rep you yet

Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM

90 posts, read 316,842 times
I wish people would make the distinction between kids unsupervised in the street and truly impeding traffic and kids who, for lack of any other place to ride a bike, skate, scooter etc., use the street or cul de sac in front of their houses to recreate. If it takes you two seconds to slow down and be patient to give them the time to get out of your way, then so be it. It seems like there is an awful lot of anti-child sentiment on this board - which is disturbing. There will always be brats and irresponsible parents, but there are an awful lot of good, polite kids out there who need people to understand and remember what it was like to be a kid. Playing at the park is not always an option and I would rather have my kids riding bikes on a safe neighborhood road (with rules and supervision if the age requires it) than sitting in front of a tv. If people really hate kids and don't want to be bothered with them, then I would suggest an age-restricted condo or neighborhood or find an adult-oriented condo where there are more singles and such. Neighborhoods with 3 bedroom + homes are generally where families choose to live, so if that is where you want to live also, be prepared to have kids for neighbors. I will always teach my kids to be polite and respectful to adults and try to impart responsibility in them but I expect my neighbors without kids to offer me the same polite courtesy of not being a jerk to my kids. They are still just kids after all and will make mistakes, they are not mini-adults! I agree, though - some streets are unsafe for kids to play in and there should be definitely ground rules and supervision when appropriate.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Well said, Rebecca.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM

52 posts, read 200,187 times
I think in regards to people seeming so anti-kid on this forum we have to keep in mind that people come here (or to any public forum) because they have something to say (often something to complain about! LOL). Not saying there's anything wrong with venting, but those of us who just deal with it and aren't bothered by it don't often think about it enough to actually come here and say so.

From what I've seen my neighbors are either very good at hiding their disgust or the majority have no problem with where the kids (mine and theirs) tend to choose to play.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Wow. That is a little harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there are some parents that are irresponsible for sure. There are also many parents who are thankful to have a roof over their heads and condos and apts may be the only way they can go to do that. Not the best case scenario, but most definitely not the worst.

I am sure that I was considered a "brat" once or twice in my day and I have considered my children bratty sometimes too. Then again, there are many adults I would consider "brats".

I just don't see a big deal with them playing in the street as long as they are considerate of the drivers. The ones that aren't are a problem, but as adults, we deal with it, because well, we're the adults.

I am sure glad my parents decided I was important enough to keep me and my siblings. I am most certain it was not easy.
It was harsh. But a pet peeve of mine. I was a brat once too, some say I still am.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Some seem to be upset about kids playing in the parks. The parks in my area are small and surrounded by the homes here. Plus kids and parents are in the parks, plus roving security. They aren't some remote park somewhere with nobody there. For what it's worth, I think there are too many people in the parks here..especially the warmer it gets. You should check out the one big park here, Nature Discovery Park once it starts getting warm. You'd think it was Disneyland since a million kids descend on it. It has a great kid area, along with a bouncy floor. It's also fun for adults to walk on it. Also a dino dig area, and a water play area. The waterfall and pond area with lots of ducks to feed or just watch.
For the adults, a horseshoe pit, bocce ball, tennis, BBQ's plus much more. Plus the Farmers market each friday.
As for kids in the street, I personally don't think they should play there when there are sidewalks and yards they could be on and in. As long as they aren't screaming and making constant noise in front of my place, I don't care what they do.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I wish people would make the distinction between kids unsupervised in the street and truly impeding traffic and kids who, for lack of any other place to ride a bike, skate, scooter etc., use the street or cul de sac in front of their houses to recreate. If it takes you two seconds to slow down and be patient to give them the time to get out of your way, then so be it. It seems like there is an awful lot of anti-child sentiment on this board - which is disturbing. There will always be brats and irresponsible parents, but there are an awful lot of good, polite kids out there who need people to understand and remember what it was like to be a kid. Playing at the park is not always an option and I would rather have my kids riding bikes on a safe neighborhood road (with rules and supervision if the age requires it) than sitting in front of a tv. If people really hate kids and don't want to be bothered with them, then I would suggest an age-restricted condo or neighborhood or find an adult-oriented condo where there are more singles and such. Neighborhoods with 3 bedroom + homes are generally where families choose to live, so if that is where you want to live also, be prepared to have kids for neighbors. I will always teach my kids to be polite and respectful to adults and try to impart responsibility in them but I expect my neighbors without kids to offer me the same polite courtesy of not being a jerk to my kids. They are still just kids after all and will make mistakes, they are not mini-adults! I agree, though - some streets are unsafe for kids to play in and there should be definitely ground rules and supervision when appropriate.
I agree. Nice post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas