Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcdt View Post
I lost my job in vegas right before thanksgiving of 2008. I saw it coming so I began to apply all over town at the end of September. I applied to about 90 places, everywhere for sales jobs,cashiers, cook jobs,driver jobs,janitior,Mc Donalds,Wendys,In and Out, Smith's,Terribles,anything just to stay there and pay the rent. I'm now back in Ny and still have my 702 phone and havent got 1 call. It's bad out there, it's not too much better here but its really bad there. I'm 40 years old and a college grad and I cant get a job at McDonalds its pretty bad!
really? i'm 40, a college grad and i dont see the same as you do... i have done about 30 online apps, and so far have had 5 interviews and 2 offers... and no i didn't apply at mcdonalds, inn & out etc.. must be your job history or experiences.... since i turned 18, i've had 4 employers.. maybe thats the key, dedication! also on your resume, did you put a ny address? if so, that's the killer right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM

101 posts, read 314,843 times
There must be something wrong with you people that you arent mentioning. It is definitely possible to find jobs right now. I even heard a few high school kids yesterday talking about getting some jobs at a job fair. However, I do think if you whine alot and stay negative it will definitely help your situation. Stick with it, youre on the right track. I think.

And I apologize for feeding the trolls.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,012 times
Default Job fair tomorrow @ Tropicana

For what it's worth, guys.. there is a job fair tomorrow @ the Tropicana Hotel.. there was a whole pullout in yesterday's R-J.

it's from 12-4pm. Not a lot of companies there, but it's a start. You can also upload your resume to their database, and be searchable by prospective employers..

More info. is here: reviewjournal.com -- Employment

I think I'm actually going to check it out myself..

pkcdt, fwiw, you can't sit there and tell me that the job market on Long Island is better than anywhere's else (especially the Hamptons, as your info. says you are from). I hate to say it, but there's got to be something not right there. I HIGHLY suggest that you have a professional critique your resume and take a look at it. Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes to take a look at it. I say that from experience - I once when to a career fair, handed out 30+ resumes, never got a call. Found out a few weeks later (when someone else took a look at the resume), that instead of saying "fast-paced"; it actually said "faced-paced"

Anywho... airics, congrats, btw on landing those interviews and offers.. .im hoping to pick up on some of your good vibes as I need to get my foot in somewhere around here..

Old 01-26-2009, 02:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
There's a difference between a job and a career...one just puts money in your pocket...the other also pays the bills.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM

i went to the jobfair at the texas station on the 20th, tons of people, and about 20 companies there.. several schools also... my personal opinion so far is that this is not the way to go... i've been hammering out online job apps and am getting some responses as well as a few interviews... There is a job fair tomorrow (as mentioned above) at the tropicana... I thought i would go but i just scheduled another interview.. so who knows... Also there is one more jobfair on the 29th at the Texas Station.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,012 times
hey aircs... who's doing the job fair at texas station on the 29th? is that the monster.com one?

its luck of the draw i guess. I was actually originally supposed to go back east tomorrow (tuesday), but ended up extending my trip. but im leaving the 29th, so gonna make one, yet miss the other...

did you post your resume online? I had a bad experience a few years ago with doing that, but curious if you did it one on of the local Vegas sites? It's a hassle dealing with all the junk email and phone calls, but i'm considering dealing with it, just cause it might be worth it in the long run.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM

yes i posted the resume online... at first i got a bunch of emails for commission only jobs but that has settled down.. and yes, it is the Monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas