Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM

90 posts, read 316,693 times

Advertisements

I lived in LV just off of Ann Rd. for almost 4 years when my kids were very young. It was a nice place with young kids because of all the great parks and activities, but I'll be honest, I'm not a city girl and didn't enjoy the small yards and city lifestyle overall. I loved the desert and all the great outdoor stuff to do, though, and we made some great friends there, enjoyed the diversity of people, but weren't fired up about the greed and immoral undercurrent that seems to run through the entire town. We may be moving back there for a couple of years due to my husband's job and I was wondering how the area in the far NW part of the city is for schools and safety (I have an elementary and a middle school child). We have been living in a small Mayberry type town in the Midwest for the past several years and so my kids are fairly sheltered as far as real exposure to drugs and violence go, though we have open discussions about them. They are currently both in the gifted program in a small high-performing school district (as far as test scores and percentage of kids going on to college). I know the NW was starting to be built up when we left and we would love having easy access to Mt. Charleston, so I was wondering what the newer schools are like in that part of town. We want them to be challenged academically, but honestly can't afford private school or an address in a ritzy neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
You may want to look into the magnet schools. I don't know much about them at your children's levels, but from what I hear at the high school level they are very challenging and top notch.

I have not been here long. We live in Henderson now, which is ok, but I do like the NW (Centennial Hills, Aliante area)alot. Are you planning on buying or renting?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
Most likely renting since we won't be there longer than a few years and the housing market seems so iffy for resale.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
DM OleCapt. He and the Admiral are two of the best RE agents (maybe Realtors, I never asked him) in Vegas. As far as how much this area has grown, I live about one mile from where Jones ends in the desert, and 6.5 miles slightly NE of Ann & Drexel/Hwy 95. Here's the latest map that Google has online. I can't vouch for the schools, since I'm single, and have no children.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I lived in LV just off of Ann Rd. for almost 4 years when my kids were very young. It was a nice place with young kids because of all the great parks and activities, but I'll be honest, I'm not a city girl and didn't enjoy the small yards and city lifestyle overall. I loved the desert and all the great outdoor stuff to do, though, and we made some great friends there, enjoyed the diversity of people, but weren't fired up about the greed and immoral undercurrent that seems to run through the entire town. We may be moving back there for a couple of years due to my husband's job and I was wondering how the area in the far NW part of the city is for schools and safety (I have an elementary and a middle school child). We have been living in a small Mayberry type town in the Midwest for the past several years and so my kids are fairly sheltered as far as real exposure to drugs and violence go, though we have open discussions about them. They are currently both in the gifted program in a small high-performing school district (as far as test scores and percentage of kids going on to college). I know the NW was starting to be built up when we left and we would love having easy access to Mt. Charleston, so I was wondering what the newer schools are like in that part of town. We want them to be challenged academically, but honestly can't afford private school or an address in a ritzy neighborhood.
Well you give us a confusion picture to start. In the NW small lots off Ann ten years ago were almost impossible. Well maybe 6 or 7 years ago...but it would sitll be tough.

You have to form a basic opinion of how good your kids are. If they are very good just use the advanced programs. That is Ad Tech and LV Academy and the Southern Nevada College High Schools. Get in by examination or such and get a quite good education.

If your kids are bright and social go for the good regular high schools. On the west side...Palo Verde, Centennial, Shadow Ridge and Arbor View. If you got a really sharp kid and money..Meadows.

Set up for the right high school. The lower schools almost always fall into place automatically .

So feel free to ask questions here...or DM if you prefer. I know the turf pretty well.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
I am located in 89131 and have a son in 3rd grade. I am very happy with the schools out on this side of town and they are absolutely comparable to the schools in the more expensive zip codes. The GATE program is very good as well. Look into Schrekenback (spelling?), Bilbray, or O'Roarke. My son went to Schrekenback for K-2 and now attends O'Roarke (which is brand new) and I couldn't be happier with the schools out here. Safety is absolutely not an issue out here. I have plenty of room to stretch my legs (although my lot is only 7700sq ft I have plenty of room on either side plus a pretty good size backyard) and am within walking distance of the end of town (literally). You could also look into 89143 or 89166 which is the west side of US-95. Very suburban, maybe even semi rural feel depending on what area you end up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas