Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,792,210 times

Advertisements

We turned on ours too, just to give it a test run at 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM

207 posts, read 908,486 times
Inside house temp is 59 and holding. I'm another one hoping to hold out all winter. Last bill was $40, trying to go for a new record on the next one.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,328,428 times
Finally turned mine on yesterday(monday.) I initially had it at 69, and also smelled that burning smell(the dust from inside the vents)and now turned it down to 68. It gets so warm upstairs, but it's ice time downstairs.
I can finally wear my nice warm sweaters, they last for life since I never get to wear them much. That's a bonus living in the dry desert.

On the bed, I have a nice heated mattress cover. I set it at #8 to warm it up, then turn it off when I go to sleep. I also have flannel sheets, a thermal blanket and a nice comforter.
For all of you misers like me, at least get the flannel sheets and the thermal blanket if you don't want to pay a bit extra for the heated mattress cover. It is SO worth it though. Instead of curling into a ball like an armadillo when getting into your icy sheets, it's comfortable right away. Try it.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 AM

230 posts, read 886,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Finally turned mine on yesterday(monday.) I initially had it at 69, and also smelled that burning smell(the dust from inside the vents)and now turned it down to 68. It gets so warm upstairs, but it's ice time downstairs.
I can finally wear my nice warm sweaters, they last for life since I never get to wear them much. That's a bonus living in the dry desert.

On the bed, I have a nice heated mattress cover. I set it at #8 to warm it up, then turn it off when I go to sleep. I also have flannel sheets, a thermal blanket and a nice comforter.
For all of you misers like me, at least get the flannel sheets and the thermal blanket if you don't want to pay a bit extra for the heated mattress cover. It is SO worth it though. Instead of curling into a ball like an armadillo when getting into your icy sheets, it's comfortable right away. Try it.
That heated mattress cover sounds divine!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,325,811 times
I'm in agreement with all you frugal ones. We are still in Ohio but it gets down to around 19 at night. The utility companies all keep raising their rates, just because they can, so we decided not to cave in this year. Never have the thermostat over 66 in the daytime and down to 60 at night. Wear a sweatshirt in the daytime and use an electric blanket at night and life is good. Also learned to unplug the water heater after morning showers. It only takes about a half an hour to reheat the water the next morning and the savings are piling up. Along with that, we emptied out and turned off the frig in the garage and retired the dishwasher. Never realized how much money we were wasting to run a dishwasher for one hour for the few dishes two people dirty.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 AM

560 posts, read 2,190,942 times
We finally broke down and turned ours on this week. Also because the kids were complaining. Ours is set at 62 at night and 68 for the day. I also point to the blankets and sweaters if they still complain about being cold.

I had to laugh yesterday, I told my 6 year old that she would need a coat for recess at school today. She went and grabbed a sweatshirt jacket. I said "no honey, you need a MICHIGAN coat today" she ran and got her winter jacket.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
Heat's been on since mid-October. Been mild so far...only used 1/4 tank oil of 275 gallon tank. We keep ours at 68 when we're home...60 when we're not. In the 50's today in upstate NY.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,806 times
I finally bit the bullet and turned it on this week! I was trying to hold out longer, but I just got too cold. Especially after hearing the news about our power company raising rates...YET AGAIN! What is with this town and the power company. Ever since I relocated here in 2002, I have seen my power bills raised every year, twice a year!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,412,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtechlv View Post
I finally bit the bullet and turned it on this week! I was trying to hold out longer, but I just got too cold. Especially after hearing the news about our power company raising rates...YET AGAIN! What is with this town and the power company. Ever since I relocated here in 2002, I have seen my power bills raised every year, twice a year!!!
At one time we had a very consumer friendly Public Utilities Commission. The old PSC (Public Services Commission) which is now the PUC, kept the cost of utilities down to where we probably had the lowest in the country. I remember Utility Companies going in asking for a price raise and coming out with a price cut. I don't think Carson City gives a dam* about us now, as they allow the utilities to have whatever they want these days. They don't seem to ever refuse an increase anymore since the utilities have gotten so big they can buy all the politicians they need.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
one could say you guys are getting PUC'ed over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas