Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Ohio to Las Vegas 3 months ago with two roommates. One of my roommates and I want the other to move out. She is a horrible roommate in every way. Is there any way, if she agrees, that her name can be taken off the lease? Would our apartment complex be willing to let us downgrade to a two bedroom? Also if I am not on the lease(i am filing bankruptcy right now), but I still receive my mail here, am i technically a tenant. In Ohio, if you received mail at a residence, you were considered a tenant and could not be asked to leave the premises. Please help....we are desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:26 PM

169 posts, read 1,085,071 times
Well, your roommates could not ask or even make you leave the place, since you are considered a resident...in a way. However, all three of you are in violation of the lease agreement. Those two, by allowing others in the unit and you for not being on the lease at all. All three of you could end up being asked to vacate the premises by management.
If you downgraded to a two bedroom, in all likelyhood you would be starting the application process all over again. New depost, new credit check and new income verification, most places ask you to make 3 times the amount of rent. Would your roommate be able to pass the income requirements by herself, since you are not willing to put your name of the lease for the two bedroom?
Yes, the roommate that you and the other person dont like and want to leave, could have her name taken off the lease. Just as long as both parties agree and that deposits will be settled between eachother. Managment will provide your roommates with a waiver of some kind to allow the other roommate out just as long as the other one agrees. If the roommate that leaves, wants a portion of the deposit, she/he will have to seek it from the roommate left behind in the apt, not from management itself.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyrs34 View Post
I just moved from Ohio to Las Vegas 3 months ago with two roommates. One of my roommates and I want the other to move out. She is a horrible roommate in every way. Is there any way, if she agrees, that her name can be taken off the lease? Would our apartment complex be willing to let us downgrade to a two bedroom? Also if I am not on the lease(i am filing bankruptcy right now), but I still receive my mail here, am i technically a tenant. In Ohio, if you received mail at a residence, you were considered a tenant and could not be asked to leave the premises. Please help....we are desperate.
Why don't you ask the apartment manager those questions. I've had some nice ones in the past that were willing to work out something if they could. But you can't just throw someone out. It's her home too, especially if she signed the lease and you didn't. Have you asked her to leave willingly? She'd be crazy to leave with her name on the lease though. You two could ruin her credit too.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM

471 posts, read 625,764 times
Ya my roomates sucked too. Also all of my friends hated their roomates. That's why this semester I've realized that I'm going to have ZERO roomates haha.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM

169 posts, read 1,085,071 times
Good for you....if you ever want keep good friends, never have them as roommates!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,012,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyrs34 View Post
you are incorrect! in ohio, just because you receive mail does not make you a tenant. you could have been asked to leave with no problems at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas