Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM

53 posts, read 205,498 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have utilized the search aspect of this site already, and have obtained some useful information. I am seriously looking at a property in Mountains Edge, and I was hoping to get some inside information. I read the traffic on Blue Diamond is tough, and the community itself is somewhat out of the way. Any opinions of the construction on Blue Diamond, will it help, any ideas about if the shopping centers will actually be filled and fully built? I anticipate working in the Southwest Region, but of course will have to commute around the city.
I thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
Traffic in that area IS horrible. Blue Diamond is down to one lane in parts. Will be ok when it is finished, but it will always be a busy road you will not be able to avoid. I don't really like that part of town. It is too messed up with construction right now.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower75 View Post
Hello, I have utilized the search aspect of this site already, and have obtained some useful information. I am seriously looking at a property in Mountains Edge, and I was hoping to get some inside information. I read the traffic on Blue Diamond is tough, and the community itself is somewhat out of the way. Any opinions of the construction on Blue Diamond, will it help, any ideas about if the shopping centers will actually be filled and fully built? I anticipate working in the Southwest Region, but of course will have to commute around the city.
I thank you all in advance!
The problems in Mountain Edge deal with two big things..one of which may be getting better.

The first thing is that the development got way the heck ahead of the infrastructure improvements. Screwed up traffic, schools likely fire and flood protection. The good news is that is all getting better reasonably fast. And the recession will make it better.

The other is that it has been badly whacked by the housing collapse. Virtually ever owner is underwater by such huge amounts as to require action such as walking away. It does not appear to have run its course yet so we arestill going to see further drops. Another 5%? Maybe more?

That is going to lead to neighborhoods with very few owner occupants and many renters. That often leads to troubled neighborhoods.

And if there is vacant land next block over? Who knows? Whatever was planned is not going to happen. Could you get apartment complexes in the middle of established single family neighborhoods? Sure could. Or even light commercial. Or a vastly different housing development from the one originally proposed.

Can you protect yourself? Well go upscale as far as possible. The better neighborhoods will have less problems. They are not viable as rentals for instance...hence likely to return to owner occupied. And they will likely have more people who manage to ride it out.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
the shopping in that area is really great...look up arroyo market square and blue diamond crossing...also, it has taken me 45 minutes before because of the construction just to get from Arville/Blue Diamond to Rainbow/Blue Diamond

Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
olecapt hit it right on the nose.... 700k houses are selling for under 400k.. absolutely incredible... if i was underwater by 300k, i'd be walking too.... i showed a few houses on pavoratti, absolutely gorgeous homes... but you have to steal them... and you probably could.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM

53 posts, read 205,498 times
Thank you all for your insight, I found it really helpful, I guess it is decision time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas